marvel oil vs seafoam in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used both before without obvious ill effects but I can't swear to either working or not working.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Originally Posted By: wantboost
how do these compare when used in engine oil

One is alot of solvent. not something you'd want in the oil.

The other is mostly kerosene dyed red with a 10wt oil carrier. All the stuff that does the cleaning has a low flashpoint such that it's gone in less than 20 minutes.

I have a 95 nissan truck with 240k miles on it. Lately I have been thinking about adding seafoam in my oil to do some cleaning,etc. The more I think about it,I'm nervous to take the chance on adding this stuff to my engine oil.

MMO would be the far better choice IMO for adding to oil. Unlike Seafoam, MMO is an oil base and also has anti-wear components, and which is recommended by the manufacturer for adding to engine oil and leaving for up to 3k.

I have run MMO in the oil many times, have it in the Jeep now in fact to the tune of about 20%, and never had anything but a fine running engine to show for it.

The few UOA's we have had here with MMO in the oil tended to show slightly low wear numbers as well.

Seafoam would be more of a "flush" product IMO, but if I were going to do a flush I'd likely opt for B12 (which I have also done).

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
I have a 95 nissan truck with 240k miles on it. Lately I have been thinking about adding seafoam in my oil to do some cleaning,etc. The more I think about it,I'm nervous to take the chance on adding this stuff to my engine oil.
does it need cleaning?

MMO FTW. Long time user here, plenty of success with it. Use it w/o fear. If it ain't dirty, don't clean it though.

MMO FTW. Long time user here, plenty of success with it. Use it w/o fear. If it ain't dirty, don't clean it though.

Originally Posted By: wantboost
how do these compare when used in engine oil

Whats problem are you are trying to correct? If the engine is running well and has no problems IMO its best just to do your regular oil changes.

Firstly before just adding stuff make sure there's deposits to clean.
If it's fairly clean then follow trav's advice. If it ain't broke.

That being said I've used both in engines with significant deposits. Both worked to clean the engines it was used in.
There was a vid posted yesterday that showed seafoam cleaning a piston crown almost spotless.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Firstly before just adding stuff make sure there's deposits to clean.
If it's fairly clean then follow trav's advice. If it ain't broke.

That being said I've used both in engines with significant deposits. Both worked to clean the engines it was used in.
There was a vid posted yesterday that showed seafoam cleaning a piston crown almost spotless.

That crown (on a lawnmower, carbureted engine) was pretty darn clean in the first place. The results weren't significant. Most of what was observed was the carrier burning off. There was a little cleaning. The cleaning however was not proportionate to the massive smoke show.

IMHO, the same results would have been obtained by doing the same thing with water.

I also doubt there was any benefit to spending however much was spent on that can of seafoam and "cleaning" an already clean engine.

BTW, check out this picture:

armen05.jpg

I'll give you three guesses as to why that last cylinder (#8) is so clean on this 302.

I honestly don't know if my motor needs cleaning. I got this truck approx 2 yrs ago with 230k miles on it. I take my truck to walmart ever 6 months for the oil change. I run Mobil 1 5w 30. I just figured with it having like 240k miles on it now it was prob pretty dirty. I'm def no mechanic ,so I'm not real sure.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: lawnguy
does it need cleaning?

my guess on #8 is a head gasket

as far as the OP goes, I think he's been given some good advice--if there is nothing wrong with the motor, I wouldn't be doing anything different than what you have been doing--an o/c every 6 months. Many times problems are created when you try to clean things up---which really do not need cleaning in the first place---displaced sludge can cause more problems than leaving it alone.

I've used MMO at full o/c intervals since the 70's on many different engines and have never been disappointed. It is not always needed though just due to mileage
Steve

MMO would be the better option. Just replace 20% of your motor oil in the crankcase and run it! I have used it for years and seen it clean out crankcases, smooth out rough idled and increase performance. Good luck!

Both can be used as an oil additive but IMO they contain too much solvent and are not a smart choice.

Rislone concentrate would be a smarter, safer additive with much less solvent content. You can also add it at any time during your OCI and don't need to adjust your oil level for the addition of the product like you do with MMO.

Originally Posted By: Trajan

The other is mostly kerosene dyed red with a 10wt oil carrier. All the stuff that does the cleaning has a low flashpoint such that it's gone in less than 20 minutes.

For whatever reasons, MMO does "not" flash off when in the sump. I'm not a believer in MMO, but I am running it currently in the escape at 20% and I have 3k+ miles on it so far and zero loss in oil level. I have even been running it in high RPMs for extended periods to get things as hot as I can.

I can't say i have any proof it is cleaning anything, either. I just wanted to say me, and many others, have not seen MMO flash off when added to the sump.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: Trajan

For whatever reasons, MMO does "not" flash off when in the sump. I'm not a believer in MMO, but I am running it currently in the escape at 20% and I have 3k+ miles on it so far and zero loss in oil level. I have even been running it in high RPMs for extended periods to get things as hot as I can.

I can't say i have any proof it is cleaning anything, either. I just wanted to say me, and many others, have not seen MMO flash off when added to the sump.

I used the stuff for alot of years. In a dirty engine that has good rings, guides and seals it doesn't flash off. In engines with some signs of wear you might use some oil. I think the flash off is people with some engine wear or in need of valve guides or seals sounding off, or maybe rumors spreadin'.

A few years back we tossed a qt of it into a friends Ford 351 powered boat, to stop a tick and free up what we thought might be a sticking ring. Thru the fill hole was dirty looking and he had bad compression in 1 cylinder. He started using a bit more oil with Marvel in the sump. We ran it for 50 hours, and checked compression, it was good across the board, the tick was gone too. I taked him into pullin the valve covers and the stem seals were shot. We broke out the compressor changed the stem seals, no more oil use. Under the valve covers looked good too, a lot better than thru the fill hole 50 hours earlier.

I still reach for it for solving problems before yankin engines apart. The older i get the smarter i work, @ about $5 a qt. it sure beat rippin that old 351 apart to see what was wrong in the weak cyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back