Which diff fluid will help with whining?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try to post a bit more info; if you indicate the vehicle and the year, things you tried, you might get some more applicable info (i.e. known weaknesses of that vehicle etc)

Shotgun questions will get you shotgun responses.

Last edited:
Why is it whining? No magic oil will help a differential if the noise comes from a spalled bearing or gear tooth.

If the whine changes as you vary accelleration, it is associated with the ring/ pinion gears, constant at all speeds it is a bearing. Either case, I doubt that any special gear oil will change the noise much, assumed that the correct oil was in there in the first place.

Last edited:
Any diff that "whines" has a problem past what any lube is going to deal with.

Again - please be more specific about the application; give details.

Quote:
If the whine changes as you vary accelleration, it is associated with the ring/ pinion gears, constant at all speeds it is a bearing. Either case, I doubt that any special gear oil will change the noise much, assumed that the correct oil was in there in the first place.

^this. Fix it, and then worry about the right lube.

Some vehicles just have gear whine due to a design flaw. I used to work with several former Ford mechanics, and found that 2005-up Explorers would whine without suffering some parts failure.

In some cases, it isn't the differential, it is failing u-joints. In that case no oil will help you, however, u-joints aren't expensive or difficult to replace.

Originally Posted By: Olas
By the same token, any oil will stop the whining if it's coming from a dry diff.

Start with Redline MT90.

You do NOT want to use MT90 in a separate, non-transaxle differential axle!
31.gif

It is a mainly a GL4 rated fluid, and does not have the correct (and stout enough) GL-5 rated fluids' EP additives, besides being thinner than most GL-5 rated, 75/80W-90/110/140 gear oils.

Their (Red Line's) GL-5 rated gear oils ARE most excellent products though for stand alone diffs.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
On the corvette forum it's been mentioned several times that Royal Purple quiets diffs. I don't know which flavor. Probably the 140wt.

Was this in the completely stock rear axle/diff, or was it even the case for those who installed aftermarket, higher performance/bias (like Quaife) diffs??
21.gif

My car calls for 75w90. Running 140 will be too thick??
I don't have u joints car has guibos / bushings at each end of drive shaft. It's a 2004 cts.
I only hear the whine at low speeds. I ll try to pay attention if it's constant or changes...

Last edited:
Get the latest fluid from the GM dealer, they have changed the fluid spec many times for the V cars, it might be applicable to the standard models as well.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
On the corvette forum it's been mentioned several times that Royal Purple quiets diffs. I don't know which flavor. Probably the 140wt.

Was this in the completely stock rear axle/diff, or was it even the case for those who installed aftermarket, higher performance/bias (like Quaife) diffs??
21.gif

The aftermarket Richmond gear sets are known to be noisier and it reportedly helps with that. Also Moroso makes a climbing gear lube that gets more lubricant up into the mesh area.

75w140 isn't too thick.

I'd give a 75w110 a try 1st. Redline, Amsoil... have one.

Another option is a 50:50 blend of 75w140. Simply drain half your current fill of 75w90 and top off with the 140.

Conditions of the Giubos? transmission and its fluid? wheel bearings? Cv's? tires?

Originally Posted By: wantboost
75w90 weight. Anyone have a certain brand that help with the whining sound

No, but Flowers often help!
grin2.gif

Quote:
By the same token, any oil will stop the whining if it's coming from a dry diff.

Start with Redline MT90.

That Suggestion will only accelerate wear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back