5w20 but how does that protect in summer months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wantboost
my car calls for 5w20 but in hot summer months does that enough to protect motor???
You'll have to assume the vehicle maker has tested for that requirement.

Unless you live in death valley and use fiberglass insulation as coolant, the manufacturer knows what they're doing when they say to use an oil. Double true if it's still in warranty.

my car calls for 5w20 but in hot summer months does that enough to protect motor???

How long are u looking to keep your car? If less than 100k miles and 5-7 years then "Yes." If longer, then "not sure." Anything beyond 100k miles is not on auto manufacturers' agenda. They want to keep making cars for you to buy.

Originally Posted By: LemanJoe

How long are u looking to keep your car? If less than 100k miles and 5-7 years then "Yes." If longer, then "not sure." Anything beyond 100k miles is not on auto manufacturers' agenda. They want to keep making cars for you to buy.

LOL! wonder where you got this idea from?

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest

LOL! wonder where you got this idea from?

Q.

The University of Chicago, Booth School of Business.

Last edited:

Got a Taurus with 200K+ on it, mostly 5w20 all the time except for a couple of times when I used 5w30 that was on sale.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Got a Taurus with 200K+ on it, mostly 5w20 all the time except for a couple of times when I used 5w30 that was on sale.

Proofs what? It does not mean that if your car ran on 5w30, if would not be in better shape with better compression, etc. Like I said, it is very well documented that average car is build to last approx 100k plus some miles and 5-7 years.

Like I said, it is very well documented that average car is build to last approx 100k plus some miles and 5-7 years.

Could you provide links to these documents? Or 1 even?

not busting you chops, very interested to read about this.

thanks

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Like I said, it is very well documented that average car is build to last approx 100k plus some miles and 5-7 years.

thanks

Pro Bono work? Can't help you. But you can help yourself. Look at major companies' business plans. Search VW's, MB's, BMW's. Try searching Toyota's business model and supply chain model. I believe many business schools teach basic business environmental behaviors classes covering the proposed life span of models and how they are to be of limited duration, not to mess with manufacturing. If I may suggest, try attending Wake Forest University. Some of the professors are from the industry and will give you a lot of useful references.

Police cars (mainly Ford) spec 5w20 for all season. So, a vehicle that is very often doing redline runs, idles excessively, and seems to be stomped on numerous times per shift, is able to reach 150,000 miles and then be passed on to taxis to be beaten up another 200k + miles and still running strong, I'd say 5w20 is fine..

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Police cars (mainly Ford) spec 5w20 for all season. So, a vehicle that is very often doing redline runs, idles excessively, and seems to be stomped on numerous times per shift, is able to reach 150,000 miles and then be passed on to taxis to be beaten up another 200k + miles and still running strong, I'd say 5w20 is fine..

Cat15 is expected to run 400k before in-frame and 1 million before out-of-frame. In my state, police cars are written off at 80-115k miles. They run on 2k miles OCi, as far as I remember. Taxis are all hybrids now. Most of the Police junk is shipped to middle-east noways. Again, not sure what the guy is looking for as far as protection. Like I said, for most users, it is OK. if in extreme heat and so forth, may need other sensitivities. "Smart" car manufacturers would give temp-viscosity guide.

Business model? Perhaps. Designing a car to last 100k? Highly unlikely.

It does just fine. Millions of Fords, Toyotas, and Hondas out there with millions of miles and nary a failure related to too-thin oil. Nothing to see here, move along...

Originally Posted By: dernp

Business model? Perhaps. Designing a car to last 100k? Highly unlikely.

The whole business is ran by a business model. A project management will give an assignment to an engineer. That assignment would specify a proposed specs, life expectancy, etc. Engineering team would never contradict their assignment. Again, their plan is to make you car to last 100k miles plus some. Their biggest concern is profit, cost, regulation compliance and warranty considerations (cost), performance and environment. Durability is very very least of their concern after warranty period. Example: Ford EcoBoost 1.0 3 Cyl has a belt in the oil set-up...Many voiced their concern. Their response: "No problem, will last 100k+."

Example: Ford EcoBoost 1.0 3 Cyl has a belt in the oil set-up...Many voiced their concern. Their response: "No problem, will last 100k+."

True, but this is the same company that also publicly demonstrated a 160K+ mile durability for the Ecoboost in the F-150
21.gif

These companies are notorious for talking out both sides of their mouths.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

thanks

Pro Bono work? Can't help you. But you can help yourself. Look at major companies' business plans. Search VW's, MB's, BMW's. Try searching Toyota's business model and supply chain model. I believe many business schools teach basic business environmental behaviors classes covering the proposed life span of models and how they are to be of limited duration, not to mess with manufacturing. If I may suggest, try attending Wake Forest University. Some of the professors are from the industry and will give you a lot of useful references.
You want answers, you GET Sophistry. You feed us a line of bullbleep and then claim you can't amplify because you want to get paid. Why bother. I'll use as a reference to my 302,000 mile Camry and make my own judgenmment as to how long Toyota build a car to run.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back