Fram Ultra or Honda OEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rrounds

If you have the room, why use the small S2000 filter when you can use a big one ?
That is what I use on my S2000 for 15 to 16k miles, have 115k miles and going strong.

ROD

Warranty work and more oil

Last edited:
Ultras are not twice as much as OE Honda, so for the two patterns suggested Ultra for 2 OCI seems the better deal.

I don't see a problem with either plan.

FWIW - I have an Ultra that is over 15,000 on the way to 20,000 and have run Honda filters for 10,000.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Ultras are not twice as much as OE Honda, so for the two patterns suggested Ultra for 2 OCI seems the better deal.

I don't see a problem with either plan.

FWIW - I have an Ultra that is over 15,000 on the way to 20,000 and have run Honda filters for 10,000.

In my case Ultras are cheaper
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Honda sells what some call rock catches like most of the oem does and the engines do just fine. Personally i like the rock catches as some call them because of the flow!
And the people that build and warranty the engines just like i do like the oem also

This has always been one of those things id like to know. What is actually best, Flow or high efficiency? I think this is one of the best topics there is pertaining to oil filters.

Honda OE oil filters similar to Fram ToughGuard, somebody above said? Does Honda OE filter have glass fibers blended in? Nope.
ToughGuard is better, the Honda OE is all paper media, not as good.
Ultra is best, all synthetic media, double layer, the best efficiency you'll find, gets out smaller particles, whats not to like about Ultras?

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
This has always been one of those things id like to know. What is actually best, Flow or high efficiency? I think this is one of the best topics there is pertaining to oil filters.

You can have both if the filter is designed correctly. There are many on the market that fit that bill. And besides, with a positive displacement oil pump, an engine really doesn't care if one filter is a few PSI delta-P more restrictive than the next.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Why would you leave an oil filter on for two(2) OCIs. That doesn't make sense. I know Honda recommends it, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea. Fresh filter = Better filtration. But to each their own.

That being said, I would go with the ultra. I believe that Honda OEM is a rebadged Fram OCOD or TG.

From what I understand, the Honda OEM oil filter is similar to FRAM TG. It is a good filter, but I agree that the Ultra would be the better choice.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
The Ultra is rated to 15k and cut open filters shown on BITOG seem to support that it is an accurate rating.

Honda filters are similar to Fram TG filters last I saw which would be fine for your 7k OCI's but I would not 2x them.

+1

There are two common OEM Honda filters. (Some older cars and the s2000 spec a different filter.)

The Filtech "A01"
The Fram "A02"

The A02 appears similar to a TG in the in amount of media and the silicone ADBV. Although I can't locate it at the moment, I believe Motorking has stated the media is different.

The A01 is a completely different animal. It is generally considered "better" although Honda considers them interchangeable.

Most US dealers have the A02, although there are a number of online sources for the A01 (H&A Accessories being one)

There are multitudes of cut open A02's here, and at least a few A01's and some 7317's (Fram).

Check them out and make you pick - it'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back