Corolla will now be built in Mexico...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corolla will be built in Mexico(NEWS)
That is a very sad news for the Woodstock and Cambridge plant in Ontario Canada.
I'm wondering, will it affect quality and will we see more and more defect on these cars now that the production will be like many other automaker, somewhere in Mexico.

History showed that any production that moved from germany, usa, canada to mexico had not shown good history of quality in their first year of production.

Last edited:
So they cant say "Made in USA" anymore...or say its more American than say a Chrysler 200..I would like to see every Toyota made in Mexico,so USA Americans have one less reason to buy one.

Sucks for those well-paid Canadians who will be out of a job.

But, the not car people will keep buying them because Toyota is still riding on their laurels of building high-quality stuff of 20 years ago.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
So they cant say "Made in USA" anymore...or say its more American than say a Chrysler 200..I would like to see every Toyota made in Mexico,so USA Americans have one less reason to buy one.
That's the Camry, not the Corolla. Nice try.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

In Canada production to be replaced by a to be announced Lexus product.
Can't help but think there will be a loss of jobs - Lexus = lower volume?

I remember when BMWs stated they were built in Germany. Now vehicle ID tags simply state " manufactured by BMW". It's just not the same, maybe I'm old school but I expect a German car to be built in Germany. Nothing against Mexican car assemblers or anybody else, but I see it as a cop out by BMW, trading heritage for profit.

Mexico is really becoming a smart move for car manufactures given its proximity to the continent, port cities, and the lower cost of manufacturing. Just remember that cash is king and people vote with their dollars in a capitalist economy.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
I remember when BMWs stated they were built in Germany. Now vehicle ID tags simply state " manufactured by BMW". It's just not the same, maybe I'm old school but I expect a German car to be built in Germany. Nothing against Mexican car assemblers or anybody else, but I see it as a cop out by BMW, trading heritage for profit.

Just as we in the USA have Mexico as our low cost neighbor, Europeans have the Czech Republic and Turkey to turn to.

Most consumer products are built by robots anyway so if the robot is made in Germany does the car get worse if it's assembled in another country?

Originally Posted By: double vanos

http://www.bmwgroup.com/bmwgroup_prod/e/...utomobile.shtml

It would seem the vast majority of their vehicles are still made in Germany.

Article

'Made in Germany' loses more luster as BMW, Audi, M-B expand footprints'
by Elisabeth Behrmann

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140704/OEM01/140709904?template=mobile

From link above:

"...The new Mexican plant follows BMW’s decision to invest $1 billion to raise annual production capacity 50 percent at Spartanburg by 2016 to 450,000 vehicles, including the new full-sized X7 SUV.

When the expansion is complete, more BMWs will roll off the line in South Carolina than from any other facility in the world.

While the “Made in Germany” cachet remains critical to BMW, the focus is shifting more to engineering and design in its home market, with manufacturing carried out elsewhere to reduce import tariffs and currency risks, Milagros Caina-Andree, the carmaker’s head of human resources, said in April.

“We are now an international company with Bavarian roots and many sites abroad where we build vehicles at the same high quality level as in Germany,” she said."

Everyone is looking for the slightest edge... times are different.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LotI
double vanos said:
Just as we in the USA have Mexico as our low cost neighbor, Europeans have the Czech Republic and Turkey to turn to.

Most consumer products are built by robots anyway so if the robot is made in Germany does the car get worse if it's assembled in another country?

What are you talking about? Czech Republic has a long history of great car building. Tatra was around longer than most of the other car companies. Skoda too. Lots of cars factories moved to Serbia and Turkey and their quality is horrible. Everybody complains now in Europe. The problem with Germany is that lots of Eastern Europeans are employed in Germany as well. Some work out great but many suffer from cultural differences.

It is not true that most of the work is done by robots. Welding, yes. Other processes are heavily relying on humans. I have had a huge issue with rust in Canadian-made RX330/350. The issue was not there at all in Japanese made Rx's. Again, Canadian made RX you could find bolts rattling in doors, hanging insulation. Like I said, it is cultural difference. Mazda has a ton of issues with their Mexican-built cars. My friend bought a Mazda3 and did not have his fog lights working properly. It turned out that someone improperly plugged the connectors, reversing them, forcing them together.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lead Shoes
Mexico is really becoming a smart move for car manufactures given its proximity to the continent, port cities, and the lower cost of manufacturing. Just remember that cash is king and people vote with their dollars in a capitalist economy.

Mexico is very "smart choice," because big cats can bribe their ways into everything they wish in Mexico. Environment? Taxes? Are you kidding me? They will tell the Mexican government when to jump and when to jump even higher.

Last edited:

But, the not car people will keep buying them because Toyota is still riding on their laurels of building high-quality stuff of 20 years ago.

I've been saying that for years. AGREED

Originally Posted By: wemay
Article

'Made in Germany' loses more luster as BMW, Audi, M-B expand footprints'
by Elisabeth Behrmann

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140704/OEM01/140709904?template=mobile

From link above:

"...The new Mexican plant follows BMW’s decision to invest $1 billion to raise annual production capacity 50 percent at Spartanburg by 2016 to 450,000 vehicles, including the new full-sized X7 SUV.

When the expansion is complete, more BMWs will roll off the line in South Carolina than from any other facility in the world.

While the “Made in Germany” cachet remains critical to BMW, the focus is shifting more to engineering and design in its home market, with manufacturing carried out elsewhere to reduce import tariffs and currency risks, Milagros Caina-Andree, the carmaker’s head of human resources, said in April.

“We are now an international company with Bavarian roots and many sites abroad where we build vehicles at the same high quality level as in Germany,” she said."

Everyone is looking for the slightest edge... times are different.

The Spartanburg plant (in the USA) manufacturers most of the X-series SUV's, as they are an American/Canadian consumer item.

Just click on the link I posted and see where things are made. It is pretty straight-forward.

Originally Posted By: beast3300

I DISAGREE. Saying it for years doesn't make it true.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability/cars.htm

Lots of Toyotas on this list.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: beast3300

I DISAGREE. Saying it for years doesn't make it true.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability/cars.htm

Lots of Toyotas on this list.

There are also VW's and MINI's on that list.....
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Funny thing is, 40 years ago people refused to buy cars built in Japan.

Now they look for them being built there.

Americans were smarter 40 years ago.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
What % of the majority really care? Sad to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back