*Don't Fall For Shaddy Oil Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

Quote:
The reason devices like these are not valid for testing motor oils lies in mis-application. First, these bearing and ball wear/load testers use bearing steel on bearing steel contacts. Engines are not made from bearing steel, so the metallurgy is not correct to an engine application. Second, none of these test devices simulate the by-products of combustion.

Quote:
As you can see, designing an oil for a “test” versus designing and oil for an engine are two completely different things. A PhD chemist that headed Research & Development for ExxonMobil Chemical once said that, “the only test for an engine oil is an engine.” That is a very true yet costly and time consuming reality. When Joe Gibbs Racing sought out Lubrizol, the world’s largest additive supplier, it cost over $1 million in engines and nearly 1 year to develop the specialized formulations for their NASCAR racing engines. Imagine how much time and money is involved in developing a fuel efficient motor oil for commercial diesel trucks, yet the technology for the commercial diesel trucks does not apply to the formulations for a NASCAR racing oil

RP and Amsoil
06.gif

Buster could you post links to catastrophic engine failure or any failure due to running Amsoil proving it's from shaddy oil testing.

Originally Posted By: buster
Link

Quote:
The reason devices like these are not valid for testing motor oils lies in mis-application. First, these bearing and ball wear/load testers use bearing steel on bearing steel contacts. Engines are not made from bearing steel, so the metallurgy is not correct to an engine application. Second, none of these test devices simulate the by-products of combustion.

Quote:
As you can see, designing an oil for a “test” versus designing and oil for an engine are two completely different things. A PhD chemist that headed Research & Development for ExxonMobil Chemical once said that, “the only test for an engine oil is an engine.” That is a very true yet costly and time consuming reality. When Joe Gibbs Racing sought out Lubrizol, the world’s largest additive supplier, it cost over $1 million in engines and nearly 1 year to develop the specialized formulations for their NASCAR racing engines. Imagine how much time and money is involved in developing a fuel efficient motor oil for commercial diesel trucks, yet the technology for the commercial diesel trucks does not apply to the formulations for a NASCAR racing oil

RP and Amsoil
06.gif

Great post.

Prepare for a flood of people on whom the point is completely lost.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
What exactly is the purpose of this thread?

Summary:

1. If someone tries to sell you an oil based on a Timken bearing test or 4-ball wear test, ignore that part of the sales pitch.

2. The only way to validate an engine oil is by testing it in a real engine, under controlled realistic conditions, and gathering a lot of data.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Ahhh-the "one arm bandit" again-if that was the sole test for engine oil, we'd all be running 140 weight gear oil in engines!

Don't need me none that water oil ... I run gear oil in everything, including my 231 transfer case!

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Summary:

1. If someone tries to sell you an oil based on a Timken bearing test or 4-ball wear test, ignore that part of the sales pitch.

2. The only way to validate an engine oil is by testing it in a real engine, under controlled realistic conditions, and gathering a lot of data.

Good points, especially #2. The whole purpose of the 4-ball test IMO is to save the money on #2, and hope the masses believe the test to be valid in determining the quality of an engine oil. Apparently it works for selling oil to the uneducated [in oil testing] consumer.

To take a shot at RP and Amsoil, and get those who use them riled up, by a member known to have a big bias against them( RP anyway ). I am not disputing the info but the reason it was posted is quite clear. Just stirring the pot basically.

And FWIW I have no idea what "Shaddy" oil testing is? I know what the word "Shady" means but I have no clue what shaddy is. I would think if you are going to call out others for flaws in their advertising and logic you would at least make sure your point is properly presented.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

To take a shot at RP and Amsoil

"If people are determined to be offended -- if they will climb up the ladder, balancing it precariously on their own toilet cistern, to be offended by what they see through the neighbor's bathroom window -- there's nothing you can do about that."
- Christopher Hitchens

You guys are assuming Amsoil doesnt test their oils in engine test rigs?! They do, just like the other major oil blenders.

Before anyone goes any further, look at amsoil's latest performance test paper on a DOUBLE length IIIG engine test, results are fantastic. Again, tests are done by a third party tester.

So if you can go 300K on conventional, how far can a vehicle survive on the "wicked special" stuff? That is the question.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zpinch
You guys are assuming Amsoil doesnt test their oils in engine test rigs?!

If they do, then why don't they have any engine mfg approvals on 99% of their oils?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
So if you can go 300K on conventional, how far can a vehicle survive on the "wicked special" stuff? That is the question.

Tell me, what is the main benefit of synthetic oil vs conventional?

Originally Posted By: zpinch

Tell me, what is the main benefit of synthetic oil vs conventional?
You tell me. I'm sure you already know.

Excellent points but you've hit the criteria for mass hysteria from cult followers of those brands, this should be interesting to see.

I swear these are the only threads we have anymore, along with the "My car calls for 0W-20 can I use 5W-20?" and "My car calls for XW-20, will it protect enough in summer?"

Oh and Walmart bashing. Sorry, forgot that one.

So if you can go 300K on conventional

Who is "you" It certainly ain't me. The special sauce is needed for people who flog their cars hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back