Same restriction gauge for multiple vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going through some old car parts in the garage today, and I came across the OEM intake from my long-gone '07 Focus, which had a restriction gauge built into the airbox housing from the factory. It's a simple 3/4" inlet with a grommet type, and could easily be added to any other vehicle. Since the Sedona racks up the most mileage between our two vehicles, I'm thinking it would be the perfect candidate. However, I got to thinking that maybe the same restriction gauge wouldn't be accurate? The Focus had a 2.0L I4, whereas the Sedona has a 3.8L V6. Obviously the bigger motor has a bigger intake, bigger filter, etc, so the vacuum draw should be the same. Also, both motors make a very similar hp/L ratio. I'm just curious if the gauge itself was calibrated to the motor it was intended to monitor. It looks like a model you can buy directly from Filterminder. What say you all? Gauge looks like this:

This image was borrowed from another thread on this website. Credit goes to whomever took and/or posted it.

Last edited:
If you come across any GM truck in the junkyard they come with a factory filterminder, take that and the grommet and pocket it.

I have a K&N filterminder on a toyota and the stock filterminder on a gm truck. K&N's "red-out" at 10inH20 and GM's "red-out" is 25inH20 That means the K&N filterminder is much more sensitive to filter restriction and the GM might take a while until the filter is almost clogged.

Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and mounted it this morning. I put it on the side of a resonator box, about halfway between the filter and the throttle body. This way the gauge is easily readable, and doesn't block the removal of anything else in the engine bay, should parts have to be removed for service. I just replaced the filter about 1000 miles ago, so we'll see how long the gauge lets me go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back