Do MAP (not MA*F*) sensors need cleaning ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am going to replace spark plugs and clean throttle body / MAF etc just for some practice and some maintenance on our 2003 Beater Elantra. Car has close to 220k now.

So, I go to the car and...ehhh no MAF sensor to be seen!
smile.gif

This car does not have a MAF, but a MAP (Manifold Air Pressure sensor). It's mounted directly onto the intake manifold.

Do those need to be cleaned like MAF sensors?

I have googled and did not come up with anything much on cleaning a MAP on an XD Elantras (XD 2 gen. have MAFs). So I am leaning towards probably not, but want to make sure, before I put everything back together...

Without pulling it, you can guess its condition by looking into the manifold - 99% chance the map will be in the same condition as the rest of the manifold..

You can clean them the same as MAF sensors, use the same cleaner. I have never had to clean one so i don't know if it helps or not but at 220K it cant hurt unless you break it removing it.

The sensor itself doesn't need cleaning, but the vacuum hose and vacuum port/vacuum tree can be cleaned out to ensure the best vacuum signal possible.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to replace the rubber vacuum hose to ensure you have the tightest fit possible to ensure the best vacuum signal along with cleaning out the vacuum hose.

MAP sensors cannot tolerate any moisture.It ruins them.Moisture in the vacuum lines can ruin them.1980s Chryslers with 2.2s frequently consumed them due to the relative low mounting position of them.Moisture would puddle up in the vacuum hose.They sold "bleeder" valves to keep the line dry.

Thanks guy - Looks like the majority leans toward not messing with it.
Throttle body looks ok, but back of the throttle plate has a bit of dark 'gunk' that I am just going to clean and call it a day, and will leave the MAP sensor alone for now.

It looks kinda easy to take out, I might just take it out and look at its condition, to see if it's all gunked up like the one from the link to the Jeep owner's MAP

Removed mine and looks clean, IMO.
First I thought it looks all black and dirty but it's not: its sensor IS black, (compared to OEM part) and not orange like most others. I don't think it will need cleaning - what to do you think?

Leave it the heck alone! I tried "cleaning" a saturn MAP, that, like yours, just clicks into the manifold, and, like most saturns, was full of oily slime.

Sprayed carb cleaner in, sloshed it around, poured it out. Forget if I broke it, but I saw no improvement, that's for sure.

LOL! Don't you think you would remember it if you ruined it?
....I certainly would not have poured the stuff in and SLOSHED IT AROUND -
smile.gif
I was thinking of MAF / electrical cleaner (NOT Carb cleaner) and spray the SENSOR (black part sticking out) ONLY, while holding it down so the spray doesn't go anywhere else, or into the hosuing. Nothing else.

...It's tempting to spray it.
But if you guys all say no, I guess I shouldn't...

Tempting though - hehe.

Only on my 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel did I take the time to clean the MAP sensor. And that was before I tuned the motor to shut down the EGR valve. A lot of soot from the EGR would coat the MAP sensor pretty bad. I just used a little MAF sensor cleaner to knock all that off and reinstall. After the EGR delete tune, I never worried about it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back