Using BRP Premix in 1982 Honda Motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1982 V45 Sabre has an aluminum block, soldered brass radiator, and some steel parts in the cooling system. I've been running BRP premix coolant which is used in many Sea Doo, Ski Doo, and Can Am machines. The only thing I can find out about it is that it is green, made in Canada, and is bio degradable. I have a supply of this coolant.

Think it is safe for my brass soldered radiator? No problems running it for the last 2 years.

http://store.can-am.brp.com/product/474845/219700362/_/Pre-mixed_AntifreezeCoolant

I believe both ethylene glycol and propylene glycol are biodegradable. It's also likely to be silicate free, as motorcycles and powersports water pumps will wear out rapidly with "old school" antifreeze that contains silicates.

I called BRP and requested technical info and was told all inquiries go through dealers. Doubt I would get any real info asking a dealer about this.

I have searched for a PDS without luck.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
as motorcycles and powersports water pumps will wear out rapidly with "old school" antifreeze that contains silicates.

I had a 83 VF1100C (V65) that i bought new and kept till 93 when i bought the CBR1000 it had old school green in it OE as did the CBR and was still on the original pump with 100K miles (160K Km) the CBR had over 150K mi and 12 years still on the original pump.

I find this hard to believe as the pump uses a sealed bearing, the special coolants were not around back in 83. Any documentation?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Cujet
as motorcycles and powersports water pumps will wear out rapidly with "old school" antifreeze that contains silicates.

I had a 83 VF1100C (V65) that i bought new and kept till 93 when i bought the CBR1000 it had old school green in it OE as did the CBR and was still on the original pump with 100K miles (160K Km) the CBR had over 150K mi and 12 years still on the original pump.

I find this hard to believe as the pump uses a sealed bearing, the special coolants were not around back in 83. Any documentation?

I think this all started when Goldwings had a rash of pump failures and the finger was pointed at silicates. I have seen many bikes run with plan old green back in the 80's with no trouble.

Yes. My dad ran (gasp) dex-cool in his GL rather than use the Honda fluid

Probably not really great for brass Radiators though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back