08 Chevy HHR 2.2 Ecotech, 79000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil when I got the car 7 months ago. It now has 1,566 miles on the change of Mobil1 0-30 AFE.
OLM states 51% remaining. Oil on the stick is blacker than anything I have ever seen which I tend to believe is the AFE cleaning.
There are no leaks and oil level is at full. I am considering a switch to Mobil1 5w30 High Mileage as the engine appears not to have been serviced on schedule.but am open to opinions.

I'd use T5 10W-30 for a few short changes, cleaned out my sister's motor which didn't get many oil changes before she got a hold if it.

As I just mentioned on another thread, the pre 2009 2.2s had trouble keeping the hydraulic timing chain tensioner primed. Locate the tensioner on the back of the motor, if it's flat on top, it's the defective one and should be replaced. The newer ones have a nipple that sticks out quite a ways.

If there is no consumption and it seems to be cleaning then stick with what you're using. Maybe send a sample for analysis to see if it can go as far as you OLM suggests or just change it if you don't like the colour but if it's running then why change?

Change the filter and top it off.

If filter inspection shows sludge, crud.... then shorten OCI plan.

If filter looks good, run the oil to olm<5% or the full year, whichever is 1st.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
1500 miles in 7 months? Why even have a car?

It sure is nice at -30.

Without details on your driving pattern... (is it two 3-4 mile trips a day, or driving to Church or Costco once a week at 56 miles round-trip?) I would say you have a very good oil, an excellent filter that can hold a lot of crud, and an engine that is notoriously easy on oil.

Since you said OLM is at 51% in only 1566 miles I'm guessing you drive dozens of extremely short trips. Remember that the OLM was calibrated (probably back in 2000 or so) for dino oil that met the bare minimum specs called out in the old GM 6094M spec and bare minimum spec for oil filter. You're using premium oil and high dirt holding capacity filter. I bet you're plenty safe to run OLM to 0% and continue using whatever oil and filter makes you happy, be that VWB, PYB, XOM AFE, RP, ST................. Ditto for filters. I don't care if you're 16 or 86 years old; at 2,700 miles a year and following the OLM with GM 6094M or better oil, that car is going to rust to dust before the engine fails due to lubrication issues.

If my hypothesis about your driving pattern is correct... I wonder if the OLM is smart enough to adjust to a higher % oil life remaining after a an hour or more at highway speed and operating temperature to burn off fuel/water contaminates?

Thanks. Yes, I do drive mainly short trips. Mobil1 0w30 or 5w30 with oil and filter changed once a year. Spirited driving on occasion. I will be taking a 2000 mile round trip in the HHR in a month.
I had not seen this black of oil in my other cars during my 5 years in MT and it concerned me. All have been driven similarly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back