Push mower not getting fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a Briggs & Stratton 500E series motor, about a year old. A few weeks ago I take out the mower to cut the grass for the first time this season. First thing I notice is there is no gas in it. I thought there was about half a tank in there last time I used it. Could it have evaporated out? I added gas to it and nothing, I push the red prime button and its not priming the system. So I spray starter fluid into the intake and the mower will run for a few seconds and die. At this point Im not to sure what needs to be done get it working again. thanks

Put some Techron or Seafoam in the gas tank. And by-pass the carb by removing the spark plug and pouring a small amount of gas in the hole and starting it. You may have to do this several times. GL

Post the engine numbers so I can see what you have.

The numbers will be stamped into the blower housing right above the spark plug.

They will look like this: 10M902 0489 E2 05101754

I've never been able to clean out a small engine carb and have it work properly again. The carbs are typically less than $20. I'd bet if the fuel evaporated then lots of residue was left behind, clogging the tiny passages in the carb.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Post the engine numbers so I can see what you have.

The numbers will be stamped into the blower housing right above the spark plug.

They will look like this: 10M902 0489 E2 05101754

13 1123 51 79374

Originally Posted By: Throt
Nothing quite as irritating as a tiny lawn mower engine not firing.

Yeah it is, now the grass it getting long and everyone comes out the wood work wanting to cut my yard haha.

Originally Posted By: DreamerGT
13 1123 51 79374

That's not it. The first number is the model number and will have 6 characters. The second number is the type number and will also have 6 characters. Like this:

model-locator-briggs-and-stratton.jpg

The 500 series OHV are a newer design but still suffer from the same potential issues. Grab a rag and locate the bowl nut on the carburetor and loosen it until gas starts to run out. Let it drip out for a minute or two and then tighten it back up. Give it a prime and a pull and that is most likely the problem. Any water in the bowl will be removed by letting it drip out. Don't forget to wash and oil the foam filter if your model has that filter over the painfully expensive paper filter.

Edit: If the grass is that high, take someone up on the offer to punish their equipment on extremely high grass. That poor 500 isn't exactly a powerhouse engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine
The 500 series OHV are a newer design but still suffer from the same potential issues. Grab a rag and locate the bowl nut on the carburetor and loosen it until gas starts to run out. Let it drip out for a minute or two and then tighten it back up. Give it a prime and a pull and that is most likely the problem. Any water in the bowl will be removed by letting it drip out. Don't forget to wash and oil the foam filter if your model has that filter over the painfully expensive paper filter.

Edit: If the grass is that high, take someone up on the offer to punish their equipment on extremely high grass. That poor 500 isn't exactly a powerhouse engine.

Thanks a lot of will try this out, and your right about it not being a powerhouse but it gets the job done as long as it's not cutting a jungle lol

The carburetor is likely empty of gas and the float is stuck in the UP position - not falling down and allowing fuel to fill the bowel.

Remove the bolt at the bottom of the bowel and ensure the float is loose. Clean out the crude and reassemble. Allow fresh gas to flow into the bowel....ensuring fuel cutoff valve is OPEN.

Remove air filter and spray starter fluid into intake manifold.

Engine should now start, providing there is not a spark issue. Using fuel stabilizer year around is prudent.

With a hot engine, run 1/2 can of engine fuel injector cleaner through the tank to clean-out the combustion chamber and back of intake valve.

Finally, change the engine oil that has contaminants in it from the injection cleaning process.

Is this the mower?

k2-_ad79fa40-8875-4a8a-88bf-79ee9269b0f5.v1.jpg

If it is, it has the SAME engine mine has!

The engine numbers are stamped directly into the front of the blower housing above where the spark plug wire is coming through. That big black painted steel thing! Get me those numbers and I will email you the parts drawing of the engine + a service manual!

In the meantime, I know exactly what's wrong with it. The wire mesh screen on the pick-up tube and the wire mesh screen covering the main jet are most likely blocked with dirt. I had to clean mine out just last week!

It's called a Pulsa-Prime carburetor.

This link shows you how to take the carburetor off:
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_10L900_carb.asp

And this link shows you how to disassemble the carburetor:
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_pulsa-prime_carb.asp

But you probably don't need to disassemble the whole carburetor, just clean the screens. The pick-up tube screen stays there, but the large screen for the main jet slides off the carb body.

Tank the gas tank off with the carburetor still mounted to it. Then after you get the gas tank off, remove the carburetor from the gas tank. Two bolts hold the gas tank on.

But the first step before you do anything is to remove the blower housing so that you have access to everything. Three bolts hold it on. It takes a 3/8 socket.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Is this the mower?

k2-_ad79fa40-8875-4a8a-88bf-79ee9269b0f5.v1.jpg

It isn't that model. That engine is the 3.5hp Briggs classic flat head. The 500 series is the modern OHV engine that is often bolted to that same deck. It doesn't have the pulsa-prime carburetor, but rather a design more similar to the 600-725 flathead models. In most cases, the carb has gotten water in it forcing the float to the up position and not allowing fresh fuel to enter the carburetor bowl. Always start simple and work from there.

Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine
It isn't that model.

You're right, it's this one: Link

I Googled Murray 96114002902 and that mower at Walmart was the first result.

Walmart was lying to me again!

It's the 500e series, y'all!

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en/engines/lawn-mower-engines/500e-series

OHV, with a side-draft carb similar to the older walbro LMS series.

Regardless, you just have to take the air intake box(baffle) off and locate the carb float bow. Undo it to drain the debris out and then spray some carb cleaner to clear any potential clogs, re-install it and give it a try.

If that doesn't fix it, you may need to consider clearing the clogs with compressed air and more.

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back