Amazon Fire Phone....thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at getting a new phone. Amazon has recently unlocked their Fire Phone and has reduced the price to $189. Just looking for thoughts, any of you own one or know someone that owns one? It would come with a 1 year subscription of Amazon Prime for free, that in and of itself is worth something to me.

I was always very happy with my Kindle Fire... until I got a device with a "real" Android OS on it. But I really can't comment on the Fire Phone as I haven't used it or even seen it in person.

Otherwise, I do like a lot of Amazon branded electronics.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
I don't know. Go to a cell phone site, and ask em about oil....

The knowledge of this forum goes beyond oil, just curious if anyone on here has, or knew someone that has this phone. I like hearing from actual users.

Don't know much about the phone but sounds like a pretty good deal. I'm also happy with my Fire HD tablet and Prime services. Check the reviews on the site where you can get a pretty good idea of what to expect.

Would be better if it had pure Android. But this price is closer to what it is worth. I remember it was priced more than double that initially.
Prime only is 100 bucks so if you use Prime, the phone -unlocked smart phone with at least average specs- comes to 89 dollars. No decent unlocked phone at par with Fire at that price exists.
You Will probably want to upgrade in 2 years max anyway.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I was always very happy with my Kindle Fire... until I got a device with a "real" Android OS on it. But I really can't comment on the Fire Phone as I haven't used it or even seen it in person.

Same. Although indo prefer the Kindle fire for e books. My galaxy tab just has too high of a resolution to read without giving myself a headache.

I think there's a reason that Amazon is selling these, unlocked, for $189 (including a Prime membership). I haven't read too many positive reviews on this phone. Like most Amazon-branded products, it seems the target consumer is one who is heavily tied to the Amazon "ecosystem". Unless you live and breathe Amazon, it seems that there are better phones out there at the same price.

So, I have the fire tablet.

Love it. But I have been a prime member for years.

If you dig prime, remember the value of a prime membership is 99 dollars.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If you already have a Prime membership, does the purchase of this automatically add 12 months to your existing membership?

Amazon seems generally straight up and fair with these 'free' memberships, they simply extend your current subscription if you already have one.

That said, I am not a prime member and never have been. I noticed the Fire Phone unlocked price and find it tempting, but have never tried one in person to decide if I can tolerate the extent to which they push you towards their ecosystem.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
I noticed the Fire Phone unlocked price and find it tempting, but have never tried one in person to decide if I can tolerate the extent to which they push you towards their ecosystem.

If it's anything like the Fire TV Stick, I'd describe the lengths to which they go to keep you in their ecosystem as "moderate to extensive".

If you are looking for a great phone for a fair price I would recommend the Oneplus One $299 for the 16Gb and $349 for the 64Gb.

It might be a bit more expensive than the Amazon phone, but IMHO it's worth every penny. Cyanogenmod did a pretty good job with the OS and the phone is blazing fast, great battery life...will do a whole day even under heavy load (movies, video games or GPS).

I own one for about 8 month and never had a problem with it even if it gets abused and dropped a lot...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back