Ford Motor Co. MN-12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen, I bought the 1997 Cougar below in my signature from K&M Northfield Dodge in Grand Rapids, Mi. It has the 4.6 V-8 engine, the updated intake manifold, leather interior and factory moon roof. It has been a winter stored car and has 116,000 miles on it. Got a pretty good deal on it. I HATE spending a lot of money on a depreciating asset, but still enjoy having a nice, clean, lower mileage car. This one fit the bill. I'd like to hear your experience's, if any, with this generation Thunderbird/Cougar. I had to do a lot of maintenance on this car. Changed all the fluids, etc...

I love the MN-12s. Had a 97 myself. Now all you need to do is a swap a 32v from a Mark VIII and call it a day. Just kidding, enjoy the car.

I have not felt with too many of them, but I have seen a few with loose strut rod bushings. Check em and enjoy one of the best of its era

The front end used to have issues with the struts and ball joints. If you have an issue with pulsating brakes, this is likely the culprit, along with bad wheel bearings.

Transmissions are picky with regards to fluid.

Check the vacuum hoses and replace as necessary.

I've always loved these cars. They look nice and they drive nice, unlike most newer cars. The first car I ever drove was my mom's 1991 Cougar. I had a 1989 Cougar, but it had the 3.8 which predictably blew a head gasket and wasn't worth fixing. I'd love to have another one, but I would definitely want the V-8 version. If I found a V-8 powered Cougar or T-Bird that was in good shape for a reasonable price I might just buy it.

I've had 2 1997 Thunderbird Sports. Love them. Mediocre city MPG but decent highway cruiser if you keep it under 70. I never broke 30MPG, but some folks have by keeping it about 60 and well tuned.

If I could find one that wasn't rusted to pieces and/or beat to death, I'd happily buy another one (much to my wife's annoyance as they aren't the best for carseats as a 2 door).

Check into tccoa.com for all the info you could ever want.

Basically, great engine. Fresh Merc V ATF and the J Mod will make that old 4 speed feel much better. The front suspension will get creaky eventually.

Oil changes are a bit of a mess, but any solid 5w30 (later back speced to 5w20 if you really want to...I never did) will keep them happy.

I had a 1997 Tbird 4.6L w/ sport package. (There is no such thing as a 96-97 "Sport" - it was only an added package after 1994.).
Loved it for its dependability, but it had to go due to new cars arriving, so sold it last last year with 167k miles. Was still running great. Also had the updated aluminum intake.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
I've had 2 1997 Thunderbird Sports. Love them. Mediocre city MPG but decent highway cruiser if you keep it under 70. I never broke 30MPG, but some folks have by keeping it about 60 and well tuned.

If I could find one that wasn't rusted to pieces and/or beat to death, I'd happily buy another one (much to my wife's annoyance as they aren't the best for carseats as a 2 door).

Basically, great engine. Fresh Merc V ATF and the J Mod will make that old 4 speed feel much better. The front suspension will get creaky eventually.

Oil changes are a bit of a mess, but any solid 5w30 (later back speced to 5w20 if you really want to...I never did) will keep them happy.

What is the "J" mod? Not familiar with that at all.

Originally Posted By: HM12460

What is the "J" mod? Not familiar with that at all.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=j+mod

All good info. With my 97 T-Bird, I once got 30 or 31 mpg on a trip to Georgia and back. It was hot, I had the window cracked, vent blasting, and cruise set at 60 or 65 the whole way. Stock gearing. I believe it had a 3.27 or 3.08

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back