Red Line 5w30 or 5w20 or 0w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: LemanJoe
Originally Posted By: wemay
For non-turbo, Hyundai recommends the viscosities you mention so I'm assuming it's a 1.6, 1.8 or 2.4. They also recommend API SM / ILSAC GF-4 with an OCI limit of 7500 miles. You're ahead of the game with ANY certified API SN oil meeting viscosity; conventional/synthetic or blend. Risking your warranty with a non-certified oil is a decision only you can make. Lots of great, certified products out there that might also stop your consumption. Since you seem like a synthetics user, I'd use any name brand syn and go the full interval.

My engine is 2.0 GDI. Yes, my OCI is only 7500. The same engine in I40 in Europe is prescribed 30k km OCI with good Synthetic oil. Thus, it is possible and just another good argument to extend the oil life. I know that one can argue different fuels, weather conditions, etc. Bottom line is longer OCi's are possible in my application. Is it worth the trouble, probably not.

As far as API SN certified oils, I will disappoint you. API certification does not hold any water in my books. The specs are so "loosy-goosy" that lots of bad oils slide in and I do not want to use any of them for sure. Even among the same manufacturer, specs are all over the page. Again, Red Line performed well in my bikes and my Subaru and I wanted to find a suatable Red line for my Hyundai. Nevertheless, I will stay away from RL for Hyundai for now, since it is not an API certified oil. Just in case.

Joe

Not disappointed at all. In that case, go with an ACEA A5 approved oil. Its one recommendation choice listed for my 2.0T SFS by Hyundai. I will say though, I have no issue using any (RC) major brand found at Walmart; EDGE, M1, QSUD, PPPP or Synpower. All excellent oils in my estimation. With EDGE EP and M1 EP possibly at the top in 5w20/ w30 and 10w30.

I'm sure you'll choose well. Welcome to BITOG.
welcome2.gif

Thank you so much for your Welcome. I am so glad to be here. Like I said, I followed the site for a long time. Finally decided to join and feel SO GOOD. Love the discussions.

Wish everyone the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back