UOA in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, new to all of this and I am the very beginning of a long learning curve.
I have 1 new car and another on the way and would like to do UOA's on them both from the start. The one place I have found in Australia (e-monitor) only seem to report on
6 Metals
Viscosity at 40C
PQ Index
Fuel

From what I had learned so far I thought I would also need
Viscosity at 100C
Antifreeze
TBN
Soot

Does anyone know of other testers in Australia and do I really need the extra information.

Tassie

Originally Posted By: tassie
Does anyone know of other testers in Australia

You can always send your sample to Blackstone.

Quote:
and do I really need the extra information.

I guess that depends on what you're trying to accomplish here.

I ordered a kit from e-monitor because they were the cheapest haha I think it was about $30 but as you mentioned they don't offer a very detailed analysis but I will see how this sample goes when I do my next change in about 1,800kms <1 months time

Would like to use Blackstone, but sending half way around the world is not really viable.
As for what I want, not really sure yet as I am just getting into all of this. I suppose to start with I would like to know about metal wear, contaminates and the condition of the oil so change intervals can be reviewed.

Tassie

Would like to use Blackstone, but sending half way around the world is not really viable.

Why not? I did it when living in Europe. But i'm sure others will be able to suggest some other options for you.

Quote:

As for what I want, not really sure yet as I am just getting into all of this. I suppose to start with I would like to know about metal wear, contaminates and the condition of the oil so change intervals can be reviewed.

Hate to disappoint you, but a cheap UOA is not an accurate tool to measure wear. As for condition, you will need TBN and TAN and oxidation.

Looks like I have someone that's does the info I think I require. If any one in Australia is interested check out ALS Tribology.
Their standard test includes the usual metals and contaminants plus water, soot, Viscosity(at 100C), PQ Index(no idea what this is yet), Oxidation, Sulphation, Fuel and TBN.
Cost is about the same as e-monitor.

Detroit Diesel oil analysis has 4 locations in australia: Brisbane, Perth, Sydney and Muswellbrook.
Their USA phone # is 1-800-DDC-0952
They seem very good, they have done about 7-8 analyses for me and do all elements plus TBN, TAN (need to ask for those 2) plus soot, fuel, antifreeze, water, viscosity at 100C etc.
Based on their analyses and my calculation of oil stress factor (MWh/L) I can go at least 40000 mi between oil change on my Unimog.

Charlie

E-Monitor is a just a simple test regime
provided by ALS.

Google ALS Global, they have branches in most states.

ALS can and do much more comprehensive tests, back when I used to do UOA's I'd get ALS to do everything I wanted then get Terry Dyson to do the analysis.

As mentioned, all the big diesel manufacturers get testing done here, the oil companies all have their own labs, why bother sending a sample half way around the world ?

Looks like I have someone that's does the info I think I require. If any one in Australia is interested check out ALS Tribology.
Their standard test includes the usual metals and contaminants plus water, soot, Viscosity(at 100C), PQ Index(no idea what this is yet), Oxidation, Sulphation, Fuel and TBN.
Cost is about the same as e-monitor.

OK, you've found ALS.

PQ index is the total amount of Fe regardless of particle size, very handy if you have or had component failure, a standard Fe test may not be terribly elevated yet there could be comparatively large chunks of metal floating around which don't register on a standard Fe test, your PQ test identifies this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back