SLX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saying how well I am liking the Shimano SLX stuff. Started by replacing the older Hope disk brakes, now shifters, derailleurs, cassette and crankset. Went from a 3X9 to a 2X10 and actually saved a few ounces over my 7 year old XT stuff.
That's all.
wink.gif

I switched over my Specialized FSR to SLX a couple of years ago thinking I would lose some quality, but so far it's been flawless. No complaints and quite satisfied. My bike also had XT originally.

I'm going to slap an SLX crank on my Marin Palisades Trail 29er - it currently has a mix of Deore, XT and non-series parts(Alivio level brakes and Deore level 3-piece crank). It's the 105 of mountain groups.

Originally Posted By: Taildragger
Can someone explain the clutched rear derailleur?

It's a chain tensioner. It has a clutch that allows you to conveniently release the wheel or adjust the chain length without having to fight the spring in the tensioner.

Originally Posted By: Taildragger
Can someone explain the clutched rear derailleur?

Yes, you ride with it engaged.
It's not so much a chain tensioner as a chain retention device to help keep the chain from jumping off the chainrings.

The rear derailleur already has a spring that keeps tension on the chain but the chain bounces around as the bike goes over rough terrain. The clutch mechanism dampens the release of tension on the chain so it's less likely to jump off the chainrings or slap against the chainstay. In reality it's more of a friction damper than a clutch.

Plusses are better chain retention, less noise from chain-slap, and consequently a less beat-up drive-side chainstay.

Minuses are slightly heavier feel at the shifter.

Both Shimano and SRAM (in their "Type 2" derailleurs) use technology, Shimano has a switch that allows you to turn it on and off, SRAM doesn't.

Originally Posted By: Surestick

It's not so much a chain tensioner as a chain retention device to help keep the chain from jumping off the chainrings.

In the name of simplification, I figured calling the clutched derailleur a chain tensioner would explain its basic function, which is to keep the chain taut through tension, thus preventing chain slack, chain suck and skipping.

Originally Posted By: Surestick

Both Shimano and SRAM (in their "Type 2" derailleurs) use technology, Shimano has a switch that allows you to turn it on and off, SRAM doesn't.

but, the SRAM has a neat feature in the type 2 RD... have they a cage lock that comes in handy for removing the wheel and installing the wheel, as well as... say you want to remove your chain to clean it, lock it, and you don't fight the spring tension to remove and install the missing link (or equivalent)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back