Cooper Discoverer AT3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had done some searching for new tires on my truck. The factory Goodyear AT/s are just about done. They did great for 96,000km, especially a factory tire. My truck uses the 275/70 on a 17 inch rim. Its hard to find the right AT tire in that size. Came up with the Cooper's. They look good and all the internet jabber seems to be positive. I get them on Monday. I am going with a load range E 10 ply. Hard as F*** ride but will be better as we tow a lot.

I read a post or two here that was a few years old and it had good comments. Any long term users happy/unhappy?

Thanks

b

I don't think load range E would be too bad in that with the rear coils.

They seem to be a good tire and retain their sipes as they age. Great in snow. Super popular up here.

Yeah I only intend to run them at maybe 60psi, about 12 more than the current ones. They will see a lot of highway and lots of snow.

I had AT2s, similar previous model, on an SUV in Pennsylvania, they did quite well in snow and rode well. Just put a set of AT3s on an Xterra here and only have 2K on them but they ride well, are quiet, and are rated highly for Arizona terrain as well. Std load not Es. 2 of them took quite a lot of weight to balance behind the wheel face, rebalanced on the lips and cut the weight in half.

They are super popular around here; pretty much the go-to tire for AT's on a street or daily driven truck (including mine). I have nothing bad to say about them based on the past 20-30k I've had them in P265/70r17. They aren't the most aggressive out there if you need muddy offroad traction, but road manners are wonderful and winter traction is fantastic as is dry offroad, though I had not pushed them hard.

My short statement is if you want A/T's but need a reasonable daily driver these are simply amazing.

Do you're reading on a few threads on BITOG as well as any other car/truck site and make your own mind up
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrianF
Yeah I only intend to run them at maybe 60 psi

Why so high?

Have them on a work/plow truck and I think they are the best A/T tires I have ever had. They wear great bite snow like crazy and ride good as well. I have many friends that run them on there SUV's and they all are real happy with them. You can't go wrong with this tire as an A/T in my and several of my friends opinion.

Again what I am hearing is they are a great tire. I do a fair bit of grid road driving and a lot of highway. I see some mud and off road but really not enough in the life span of a tire to need something more aggressive. I have run Goodyear silent armors on a few vehicles and loved them, but would not go more aggressive from that.

I run the current C load tires at about 48 psi. We tow a bit and and will throw a pile of weight on our 1/2 ton, probably too much. I have run 3/4 tons with E rated tires at 80psi and will not do that again. 60 is a good compromise and will adjust accordingly. As well I would like a 10 ply for nail/rock protection. I am sick of taking tires in for patch jobs.

But I am pumped, the tires sound good and were less expensive than Goodyears.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
Again what I am hearing is they are a great tire. I do a fair bit of grid road driving and a lot of highway. I see some mud and off road but really not enough in the life span of a tire to need something more aggressive. I have run Goodyear silent armors on a few vehicles and loved them, but would not go more aggressive from that.

I run the current C load tires at about 48 psi. We tow a bit and and will throw a pile of weight on our 1/2 ton, probably too much. I have run 3/4 tons with E rated tires at 80psi and will not do that again. 60 is a good compromise and will adjust accordingly. As well I would like a 10 ply for nail/rock protection. I am sick of taking tires in for patch jobs.

But I am pumped, the tires sound good and were less expensive than Goodyears.

Sounds like the AT3's are perfect for you.

I've had my Discoverer AT3s for close to 3 years - they are really, really good tires. Maybe not the absolute best out there, but very good all around and a great value. They are very popular in WI too - I see them all over the place.

Well I put on roughly 100km and so far so good. Obviously too early for a quality review but I am running them at 60psi and with the 1/2 ton it really does not ride any rougher than the Goodyears at 48psi. On highway they are quiet and stable on the grid roads. Nothing fancy but happy. This weekend the wife will be loading the truck with 10,000 pounds and go for a 400km round trip to a riding clinic.

I'm on my second set, first set made it 70k before I replaced them. I'm a big fan and as long as they keep working for me I'll keep buying them.

Take a look the Cooper A/T W. Looks a lot like the AT3, but has lots of siping for winter traction. Actually is snowflake rated. 50kmi.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
I'm on my second set, first set made it 70k before I replaced them. I'm a big fan and as long as they keep working for me I'll keep buying them.

On what vehicle? LT or p metric?

I have them on my 05 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins and love them.They were excellent in this winters snow.Wearing well so far to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back