Does SP gap change based on the plug type one has

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes access to a lot of info is a bad thing.

2003 Echo 1NZFE; trying to stage a tune up.

FSM says DENSO SK16R11; NGK IFR5A11 plug.

DENSO site shows that PN but also that in 2005 the plug PN and gap is different (.028); not an issue, doesn't impact me, just thought it was interesting.

Advance site says SK16R11 doesn't fit. Huh?

I go to the NGK site and they don't reference the plug that the FSM references; they have their own recommendation but the gap size is .032.

I think I'm just going with the Denso PN in the FSM.

The general question is, can plug manufacturers change the recommended gap based on any change in technology in the plug, overriding the original specs?

Last edited:
In law of physics, it does matter, but it is not that significant as long as it is a metal.

The diameter of the electrodes matter much more.

Tiny differences like that will not be noticeable. The gap will open up over time anyway as the electrode burns down.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

I think I'm just going with the Denso PN in the FSM.

The general question is, can plug manufacturers change the recommended gap based on any change in technology in the plug, overriding the original specs?

Given the confusion that NGK has regarding this plug, I would stay with the Denso also.

I have seen discrepancies in NGK gap recommedations vs. FSM also and I generally follow the FSM.

You might contact NGK to see what their explanation is. I say this because I had a Caravan that Chrysler made a "running change" in plug recommendation. There was a TSB, but I found it by accident on the net.

One site I visited suggested that the NGK IFR5A11 was obsolete, replaced by 1FR5T11. But their parts finder is all over the place.

Best of luck. Go with the Denso, or verify the NGK situation.

Protip: learn to decode the plug part numbers and you can tell for yourself if it is actually equivalent. Bosch, NGK, and Denso publish cheat sheets on that very thing.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Tiny differences like that will not be noticeable. The gap will open up over time anyway as the electrode burns down.

Quote:

Protip: learn to decode the plug part numbers and you can tell for yourself if it is actually equivalent.

The gap is 1.1mm or (11 in the P/N) .043inches per FSM; the difference between the "other recommendations," .032 and .028, isn't big, the difference between .032 and .043 is

Will be going with Denso.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Plugs are installed; 30 minute tune up was a breeze.

Kudos to Advance, who had them in stock @ the store, as the website indicates.

Last edited:
You need to get on board with metrics. 11 is 1.1mm, 13 is 1.3mm and 15 1.5mm gaps, if there is no suffix number the gap is usually 0.8mm.

0.28, 0.32, 0.43, oh dear, you really make things hard for yourselves don't you.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

I wouldn't buy the plug unless it had the factory specified gap.

Rock Auto shows Denso #3435 SK16PRF8, which is likely the same plug AAP is telling you to use.

.8mm = .032 in

Interestingly, if you wanted to downgrade to platinum, Rock shows both PK16R8 and PK16R11 as correct for your 03 Echo.

Was there a mid-year change during the 2003 model year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back