dodge 4.7 timing chains

Status
Not open for further replies.
440Magnum said:
FYI, here's a picture of the timing system on a 4.7. The yellowish pieces are the timing chain tensioner "shoes" that should be inspected if possible:

2qsqzc2.jpg

And YES, standard procedure is to wire-tie the chains in place and leave them around the intermediate sprocket when R&R-ing the cams or heads. But with the heads off, you should be able to get a pretty good look at all of the guides and tensioners except maybe the two on the chain from the crank to the intermediate sprocket.

they tie them in place to maintain position? Im familiar with honda timing belts and old pushrods but this setup is new to me

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
You're thinking old-school

Yes of course I'm thinking old school. I turn 50 next month. What'd you expect?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: joel95ex

they tie them in place to maintain position? Im familiar with honda timing belts and old pushrods but this setup is new to me

There's a special service tool that pinches the chain together around the intermediate sprocket so that the upper chains stay in proper relation to the crank. Then you only have to phase the cams correctly to the chains when the heads go back on. Zip-ties work about as well as the "special tool."
Here's the tool in place with the upper chains slack and the heads off:

263zy1f.jpg

Or you can keep the chain tight with a rope while the head is off:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back