Need help w/coolant change and ATF, 2007 Equinox

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am servicing my parents' 2007 Equinox. A couple of questions:

a) I can find no coolant flush instructions anywhere; does someone have a link to one? I am trying to locate both the block drain plugs (V6 3400) and how to fill. There is no radiator cap. On the side of the front V, I see a flanged 13/14 mm looking bolt behind the end of the starter. Is that the drain and is there a corresponding one on the back of the V?

b) The transmission capacity says 4.1 qts in the manual, which I simply don't believe. I was going to flush it via the cooler line; is it like the typical 10/11 qts for this kind of transmission (Aisin w/ T-IV fluid)?

There should be a petcock on the radiator, probably drivers side.

Drop the pan and change the filter, then refill. I don't see a need for a flush.

I know on quite a few GM pickups they have don't have petcocks on the radiator, just have to pull a hose and let it drain. The transmission spec you found is probably just a drain and refill.

Pull the lower rad hose and drain there. Reinstall the hose and roll with 50/50 dexcool and distilled water. For the trans, drop the pan, replace filter and refill with Dex vi.

Ok now for some real info.
smile.gif
wink.gif

5-speed automatic Aisin AW55-51 transmission

GM calls it the AF33, everyone else use the above designation.

It is used in a LOTS of Volvos and some Nissans.

This a non Dex VI transmission. Do not use Dex.

It does not have a pan but does have a drain plug it drains four quarts.

To service the filter the transmission has to come out.

Best way to do it is pay the dealer 250 bucks to do a complete fluid swap out. Unless you are comfortable removing one of the cooler lines, running the transmission pump and adding fresh stuff until you see fresh fluid coming out.

Use this stuff.
810_Su3e_Jk_L_SL1500.jpg

It is the same as Toyota T-IV. It is pricey the dealer service is actually a good deal. Just tell them to do swap and not a flush.

Supposed to be 8.4 quarts full.

Thanks ls1mike.

Yes, I know its T-IV. I am going to user Mag1 synthetic, which I have used w/great success in other T-IV applications, Not Dex IV. I am going to pull the cooler line. Thanks for the capacity, I'll but a few qts more than that to have on hand for the flush.

Coolant - I can see pulling a hose to drain; I still do not see how to fill. Baffled.

Also, I can't find a PS reservoir to flush that. What gives?!!!

Electric PS!

You can fill through the overflow, or remove hose to water pump, fill, run, Then fill through overflow and repeat until full.

I had an 07 we put 120,000 miles on it. I did brakes, tires, and ignition switch. Did the coolant and transmission at 80,000. Was a pretty good vehicle for us.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
You are only in Redmond? I am over in Poulsbo.

That is where I live, but actually the vehicle is even closer to you; my parents live in Gig Harbor and where I was yesterday working on it.

Electric PS is new to me! Will have to read on how that works.

OK, so the coolant fill sounds a little annoying but I'll manage. It has 99k on it so I am doing all the fluids and maintenance I can. They have had it since new; it was a company car of my mom's from 2007 to 2009/10 and they liked it and bought it when it was time to turn it in. It has been good for them. They are late 60s now and my dad has little interest in maintenance so I am trying to monitor it closely for them. I was concerned about fresh coolant as I know it hasn't been done in several years, possibly ever (if done under fleet maintenance but possibly not I am guessing), and I've read about the possible IM gasket issues. Someone suggested frequent coolant changes can help avoid that (I am unsure if that's true but heck, I'll try it).

Dang dude you should have drove it down here...I have access to a lift. We could have done the work, had some beers and told some lies.
smile.gif

05 had some issues with the intake, a bad batch. 06 and up no issues as far as I can tell. Mine was rock solid and I have OCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back