New synthetic motor oil cold pour test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Originally Posted By: zpinch
Go and look at the results of amsoil's 5w30 oil paper, trust those results and not some amateur test. The 5w30 paper was done by a third party reputable organization that you couldnt pay enough to skew the results. Quakerstate, mobil1, pennzoil, and amsoil all have very close results, all top 4, amsoil being the best.

Not pour test, but cold cranking simulator.

The Amsoil test does basically look similar to the youtube results, in that Castrol did poorly compared to Mobil1 (M1 in the Ext Perf flavor anyway).
cjhNmeu.jpg

Interesting how this test doesn't specify the weights used. Could be the Amsoil is 0W20 and the Red Line is 20W50.......
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: zray
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: deven
It's not what happens inside a combustion engine. This test is good for [censored] and giggles and that's bout it.
What happens inside an internal combustion engine?

For one thing. There is something called an oil pump, it's used to deliver oil to the bearings instead of an inverted cup. They don't perform the same way, SURPRISE ,

If your engine has an inverted cup as an oil delivery device, please disregard my statement.

Z
How does the oil get from the sump to the pump?

Originally Posted By: CT8
How does the oil get from the sump to the pump?

For starters, you use the "W" rating that's appropriate for the temperatures.

Using a 5W oil at -40C is not a demonstration of the merits of the oils, it's a stunt not science.

When used in an engine, the oils are allowed to slip a grade during service and still stay "in grade"...which means that the 5W after being run can theoretically become a 10W and still meet requirements.

If they want to play -40...use an appropriate oil, a 0W....but it wouldn't look as impressive...like I said, a stunt.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
If they want to play -40...use an appropriate oil, a 0W....but it wouldn't look as impressive...like I said, a stunt.

RP's 15w-40 even had a pour point of around -48. That, too, can make an impressive stunt, having nothing to do with MRV results.

Originally Posted By: buster

Why wont they identify the semi-synthetic they used and or also test another full synthetic?

Also why not start another VW with them semi-synthetic in it at -15F, bet you it would also start.

All marketing.

Many automakers don't give us a choice of oil grades to use based on weather. I must use 5w30 or 10w30 or 5w20... always, or fear the whips punishment. Do not think freely or else. They also don't like using/marketing the word synthetic, which is translated by the US consumer as "unneeded expense".

Regardless of what SAE/API/ILSAC requires, its good to see that some 5w oils seem to work beyond that. Who wants adequate when exceptional is available??? Exceeds the spec is what some of us demand.

Using a more appropriate oil was an option taken away by warranty fear, and the elimination of grade/temp range options. Consumers are just not smart enough to pick a grade of oil acceptable to their weather. Do I really want to buy a vehicle from an automaker that assumes that we are stewpidd?

Use a block heater, pan heater, battery warmer.... is a modification that some can't afford, or simple fear as another point of failure.

0w20 is taking some market space. But, 0w30 was never really offered in the NA market as a CHOICE, in a market that was pushing conventional 5w30, 5w20.... almost excessively.

Cheap rules.

I always considered M1 synth as one of the best cold weather starting oils. My oil pressure gauge, oil pressure light out, and missing various engine noises... agree with the video.

When you post comparison videos like this, you risk lawsuits.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Many automakers don't give us a choice of oil grades to use based on weather. I must use 5w30 or 10w30 or 5w20... always, or fear the whips punishment. Do not think freely or else. They also don't like using/marketing the word synthetic, which is translated by the US consumer as "unneeded expense".

Regardless of what SAE/API/ILSAC requires, its good to see that some 5w oils seem to work beyond that. Who wants adequate when exceptional is available??? Exceeds the spec is what some of us demand.

Using a more appropriate oil was an option taken away by warranty fear, and the elimination of grade/temp range options. Consumers are just not smart enough to pick a grade of oil acceptable to their weather. Do I really want to buy a vehicle from an automaker that assumes that we are stewpidd?

Use a block heater, pan heater, battery warmer.... is a modification that some can't afford, or simple fear as another point of failure.

0w20 is taking some market space. But, 0w30 was never really offered in the NA market as a CHOICE, in a market that was pushing conventional 5w30, 5w20.... almost excessively.

Cheap rules.

I always considered M1 synth as one of the best cold weather starting oils. My oil pressure gauge, oil pressure light out, and missing various engine noises... agree with the video.

When you post comparison videos like this, you risk lawsuits.

No you don't, use the approved ASTM test method and a 3rd party at a certified lab and there will be no lawsuit.

Astm test and certified lab cant see my oil psi gauge or hear my engine.

And, much can be done in a garage or kitchen without astm or certified labs. Comparison is not rocket science.

How do you think many tests came about?

I am not impressed by acronyms, as am always thinking there is a better way. Seems that many are stuck in a narrow forced by textbook thinking style. I give credit to anyone that tries their own testing methodology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beyNfMAQRlA

I will never see over 200F measured average oil temp but I bet the frying pan sold plenty of oil.

According to some of the posters you can't tell anything about the oil, not even basic properties, unless you have the special equipment and you did the tests in a lab.

Apparently the properties of the oil that will make it pour at -40 or not pour at -40 have nothing to do with anything. Has nothing to do with the CCS value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back