Gear lube recomendation chrysler 8 3/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhhhh ... BrianF, you're not going to fit in well here if you don't let go of your common sense and logic. Don't you realize that mythology and rhetoric are king here? After all, what manner of man are you to use your intelligence and wit, judging a product by it's PERFORMANCE and not it's bottle?

What most folks end up doing is forgetting about the overall perspective of a situation. They simply want the "best" (and will pay through the nose for it), regardless if their condition even warrants such expenditures. I'm not stating that Amsoil is bad or a waste of money; that would have to be determined via testing and conditional formatting. What I'm saying is that most folks waste darn near any fluid they purchase, regardless of origin. Amsoil's products are top-tier and excellent, but the question to ask oneself is if they "need" that kind of capacity in the first place. Are you going to operate in a condition that would bring forth a disparity in actual performance, and if so, what product offers the better cost structure (ROI)?

The whole topic here reminds me of an analogy I've used before:
Which is "best" for hunting - .308WIN or .30-06?
Both are excellent rounds; each has advantages over the other in some manner. Both are plentiful and well established with excellent world-wide support and recognition. One may shoot a little flatter; the other hit a bit harder. And we cannot forget about not only the rounds, but the rifle they go in. What is the best brand here, as well?
But in what context? Don't forget perspective!
The debate over .308WIN versus .30-06 is moot when you're hunting squirrel!

Does the OP "need" a top-dollar syn for e-x-t-e-n-d-e-d OCIs here? Or is it more likely that any qualified J-2360 will more than fill the job, for a lot less cash? What are we hunting for here?

This is why I stated to start easy and establish a base line of performance. Define the operational parameters. Set condemnation limits. There is ZERO ability to judge something superior or inferior unless measurable criteria are set and monitored. How can one claim Amsoil to be "better" without knowing how high a J-2360 would set the bar?

I don't care about what's on the bottle; I care about how well the product does it's job, relative to the standards I set, for the best ROI. And it's really hard to beat a low-cost SAE J-2360 in dino base stock that does everything as well as any super-duper expensive syn.

Read my signature line. Most ignore it, but it speaks volumes.

Last edited:
I ended up going with the synpower 75w-90, it was on sale for 8.95 a quart at my local Napa store, I thought that was too good of a deal to pass on. And I'm glad I went with it because I actually ended up using 3.5 quarts to fill the 8 3/4. So I had to buy 4 quarts and I spent 36 dollars as opossed to 64 dollars. Saved 28 bucks. And with that 28 bucks I bought new wheel cylinders for the drum brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back