Differing plug gaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
OEM: Motorcraft "Finewire Platinum"--Gap: .035

After-Market: NGK Iridium IX--Gap: .054

Is that normal? I fully understand that Iridium fires hotter and stronger and all that but I was just wondering if this was a normal occurrence. .035 to .054 is a heck of a difference.

Maybe this is why my MPG stinks so bad. I've never seen a thirstier V6 in my life.

Maybe I'll switch these out and go back to OEM and reset the PCM. Bring those fuel trims back into original spec's. Kind of irritated. I paid good money for these NGK's.

What say you?

Last edited:
NGK plugs are good, but any machined part can have tolarance. most say not to gap them, but I use an HEI style plug gapper, the kind with the wire loops and the bending tab that slips over the ground strap. There is also the style that uses the forcing screw to adjust those work well as well.

Maybe there is less amps needed to jump the fine wire electrode? So they can open the gap up?

Last edited:
Twin electrode IR for Toyota I4.... .044 factory setting. I use a single electrode platinum NGK for that application which comes gapped at .028 and I reset it to .044. They run fine for years. Are we getting to a point where we can't gap a sparkplug any more?
BTW the dual electrode IR NGK is factory set for .044

I guess I could do that couldn't I?

Why was I not able to think of that?

It's so simple. (and cheaper than the $30 I spent earlier on OEM plugs).

Why did I think that I had to buy a plug that's manufactured at a specific gap?

Are the built around a specific gap? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back