Is it ok to top off gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the car. My last car would usually cause the pump to shut off leaving over a gallon short of a top off. I knew that so I would always top off. My current car causes the pump to shut off with very little space to top off so I dont.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I've heard if you slow down on filling it will not click off so soon allowing to fill more while still stopping at the first click.

I set the shutoff trigger to the second step and let the fuel pump until I'm within 1-2 gallons of where I estimate will be "full." Then I take over and hold the trigger myself until it shuts off. So I get the best of both.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
This is accurate. Some vehicles may handle topping off, but others can't.

I don't fully discount the charcoal evap canister thing, but on my vehicles that canister is up front, and the tank is in the back. The hazard is the vapor return line- if present on your vehicle- will flow backwards. It would take some kind of continuous pumping pressure to do that, but I suppose it is possible.

Every modern automobile gas tank has an air cavity built into the top to allow for expansion. Part of the tank in between that and the fill tube is a bit lower to preserve the air bubble. It is possible to power-pump some of that air out, if you don't mind gushing gasoline falling at your feet.

Full flow top-off pumping can also result in paying for gasoline that gets recovered back by the fuel pump handle.

I think the EPA advice gets back to one thing- the US Government is incapable of a nuanced message. Instead of explaining all the ins and outs, they just say "don't do that" and maybe quote a few worst examples. Primarily they want to stop overflows and evaporative emissions. They could care less whether you'll reach your destination without searching for another gas station.

I've GENTLY topped off every vehicle I've owned, I've never had a flooded evap canister (I've checked) or code EVER. I also don't overflow (if I did I wouldn't top off), nor have I had a flooded engine or carbon contamination EVER.

If you don't want to top off, more power to you. If you do, please be careful enough to not dump gasoline on the tarmac.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
This is accurate. Some vehicles may handle topping off, but others can't.

I don't fully discount the charcoal evap canister thing, but on my vehicles that canister is up front, and the tank is in the back. The hazard is the vapor return line- if present on your vehicle- will flow backwards. It would take some kind of continuous pumping pressure to do that, but I suppose it is possible.

On my Hyundai with the problem the charcoal canister was right by the fuel tank. I could easily see how overfilling it could cause fuel to run down a vapor line into the canister.

Originally Posted By: Throt
I'll admit, I am bad at topping off. Do it every time. But AFAIK the tank has a built in pressure relief valve, so I don't worry too much.

You get a lot of this here. Perhaps people that give you this impression are having bad days?
21.gif

Shutting off is good enough for me. Especially in the work van. In the winter, I am thankful its 14 gallon capacity. The supa duty E150s had 33 gallon tanks. Id be be frozen solid by the time I put 32 gallons into it. The smell of gas on a hot day is nauseating. The Rat,has something that leaks when I fill it. My solution has been not to fill it. I think I put in 10 gallons or so back around Christmas.

I always stick the stupid [censored] back in and [censored] then give it a whack and [censored] [censored][censored][censored] until it screams [censored][censored] and then just let it go.
mad.gif

Then if the wife [censored][censored] she can simply [censored] her mother twice with [censored][censored][censored][censored] and her Dad too.

See what the[censored][censored] anyway
13.gif

My car typically can go about 75 miles before the needle moves on the highway if I stop at the first click.

If I top it off I have gone over 160 before the needle moves. Comes in handy sometimes

Been topping every car off for over 30 years. Number of charcoal canisters and check engine lights caused by it ZERO.

The Sequoia will take 3 gallons after the first click to top it off. When you only get 10mpg around town and 17 highway that can make a difference. Sonata is pretty consistent at 3/4 gallon after click.

Had to replace the charcoal canister on a 98 Camry. Didn't get a code, but had trouble filling up...would only take a few drops, then shut off. Over $400!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back