Why so many replaced/bad 2.2 Ecotechs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just browsing on Craigslist lately and it seems a lot of the 2.2 Eco-tech powered GM vehicles from the mid to late 2000's (Cobalt and Malibu mainly ) have had their engines replaced or are being sold with blown motors, many around 100,000 miles or so, what gives , I thought these were the most endurance tested 4cyl motors at the time?

This is the engine in my MIL's recently bought '08 G6...
35.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
This is the engine in my MIL's recently bought '08 G6...
35.gif

G 6's had the 2.4 Ecotech I believe.

Endurance Tested? By GM? They ran the 76/77 Vega 2300 "Durabilt" engines thru the desert to prove how good they were.Little good it did to Vega sales.The engine was dropped completely after 1977.I wouldn't trust GM smirking and saying they endurance tested anything...like those Cobalt ignition switches,or the Cruze steering wheels falling off.

They sold quite a lot of them. Many failed as the pre 2009 or so models had issues keeping a prime in the hydraulic timing chain tensioner. If you pick one up that's before 2009, replace the timing chain, guides, and of course use the new tensioner.

Many issues on cheap cars is people get them cheap and treat them cheaply. Many are use to the iron dukes or small blocks so they think they can run low on oil, run them hot a little, etc... and just top off later. Newer cars can't take a beating like that and come back.

Before the ecotech the base motor on many cheap GM cars was the OHV 2.2. Not a strong motor but could be run hard and still keep going if you topped off the fluids from time to time.

We have a fleet of Cobalt and cruzes. 10 of each and have had 0 engine problems, some are around 200,000 miles now. Only issue we have had is the ignition.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
We have a fleet of Cobalt and cruzes. 10 of each and have had 0 engine problems, some are around 200,000 miles now. Only issue we have had is the ignition.

Have 3 2.2's All are still going fine...

Originally Posted By: Hakkinen
They sold quite a lot of them. Many failed as the pre 2009 or so models had issues keeping a prime in the hydraulic timing chain tensioner. If you pick one up that's before 2009, replace the is timing chain, guides, and of course use the new tensioner.

The only general issue that I know of is the tensioner

They have and updated tensioner, which I think will get installed in my 2006 Cobalt just in case....

What's on Craiglist used has no relation "to real life".

Last edited:
it's funny that someone mentioned this. when i was looking for an used car on craiglist, i noticed a lot of civics on a second tranny or altimas on a second engine. i googled that sure enough those cars had those problems.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
it's funny that someone mentioned this. when i was looking for an used car on craiglist, i noticed a lot of civics on a second tranny or altimas on a second engine. i googled that sure enough those cars had those problems.
How many people really maintain their vehicles properly?

The owners. The cavalier/cobalt and malibu are low(er) dollar cars and unfortunately they get treated poorly.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
or chevette crank pulley bolts, or iron duke 4 cyl engines, or olds caddy diesels or old ciera steering racks or.....
Or ANY of the first lot of gas engine based "passenger car" diesels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back