SuperTech Synthetic - Best Value Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering if one goes 7,500 miles per oil change and gets 25 mpg at $2.29 per gallon that's $687 in gas to go that far. The extra $8 for an oil change isn't going to make one bit of difference. I'll take the big name brands.

How can you compare it to slightly more expensive oils but that meet far more stringent specs? It meets just the basic specs that any conventional oil meets.

If it's the Citgo made SuperTech synthetic, that's very good oil. Real smooth.

I can't wait to switch back to it after this OCI of QSUD over.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: stockrex
yes at regular price, but who buys oil at regular price? specially syn?
Thanks to you guys I have a stash of syn bought at $1/qt or free.

I had the same thought and I have the same sort of stash.
For those who let Walmart act as their stash and never buy oil except when they need it for a change, ST syn does look like a good value.
For those who plan ahead, take advantage of deals and always have oil on hand, ST syn looks like a poor value.
The Walmart "stash" is the latest stuff, not something you're stuck with from ten years ago for a car you just sold.

THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

For those who let Walmart act as their stash and never buy oil except when they need it for a change, ST syn does look like a good value.
For those who plan ahead, take advantage of deals and always have oil on hand, ST syn looks like a poor value.
The Walmart "stash" is the latest stuff, not something you're stuck with from ten years ago for a car you just sold.

THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Only for those foolish enough to buy grades they can't use in quantites that defy any reason.
Most of us who have enough foresight to stash cheap oil can also plan well enough to determine what we need and what we'll use over some reasonable time frame.
I have about three hundred quarts of mostly API SN syn oil.
If I avoided any more purchases, it would be gone in less than four years.
Your planning and deal hunting skills may vary.

4 years or "a little less" is a long time.....

IMHO.

Even then you stash doesn't cover all the specs of even everyday cars that many people drive.

Originally Posted By: CKN
4 years or "a little less" is a long time.....

IMHO.

Even then you stash doesn't cover all the specs of even everyday cars that many people drive.

Actually, my stash covers almost any car that most people here might drive.
Unless you have an M5 that calls for TWS 10W-60, I've got the correct oil.
You also have no idea what I might have on hand, so it makes no sense for you to write that I don't have oils appropriate to the everyday cars that people here might drive.

Not all of us have the space to store a stash.
Besides, I probably go thru at least 100 quarts every few months between all of the cars that I work on for friends.

Originally Posted By: car51
Kuato could one say that the additives depleting faster mean it's cleaning a bit better?

No guarantee of more cleaning, but most certainly a less stout additive package. M1 actually has the best reputation for cleaning among the oils I tested. However....at 165k or so, the Wrangler (now at 190k) got a new head gasket. Although I didn't get pictures, the mechanic said the internals were, and I quote, "spotless". This on a diet of Amsoil after break in with OCI intervals as high as 12k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
How can you compare it to slightly more expensive oils but that meet far more stringent specs? It meets just the basic specs that any conventional oil meets.

I don't understand what you are saying..all current oils meet SN/GF5

Originally Posted By: Al

I don't understand what you are saying..all current oils meet SN/GF5

Maybe he was talking about DEXOS.
smile.gif

I believe that the OEM specs that an oil meets is more relevant to indicate how an oil performs. My comment is that SuperTech Synthetic meets no more stringent specs than a typical conventional oil. So how can anyone say that it has good performance when it has no better performance (in terms of specs it meets) as any conventional oil. So, in essence you are paying more for a label without any proof of performance improvement.

I believe that the OEM specs that an oil meets is more relevant to indicate how an oil performs. My comment is that SuperTech Synthetic meets no more stringent specs than a typical conventional oil. So how can anyone say that it has good performance when it has no better performance (in terms of specs it meets) as any conventional oil. So, in essence you are paying more for a label without any proof of performance improvement.

Well, there was a point in time before we had Dexos and other OEM specs.

I guess I would have to say that I ran a 10,000 mile OCI with Supertech Syn and results were outstanding. Not saying a conventional wouldn't hold up as well but I wouldn't probablty do this length on dino oil.

Best value? I would say it is up there... especially if we are going with "regular" non-sale/clearance pricing.

That being said, ST conventional would be a 'competitor' ($2.74).

Conv. Formula Shell at sub-$3/qt is fantastic,

Havoline Conv. at $2.90/qt (Often with a MIR) is there.

"Certified" (SOPUS product) for $2 per qt at Sams Club is in the mix.

I guess there are a lot of other regional specials and such, but those are the lowest priced options in my area.

Unfortunately, there is no "BEST" value as it depends on your application and how you get your oil. I've used ST in a former vehicle where it performed fine but oil is not oil if ( for example ) you own a DI car and don't want to put something with a NOACK value of 15 in it or don't trust the additive pack of an off-brand oil toward that purpose.

Typically, I buy oil jugs at WM ( 20 miles away ) when I'm in the area and for each oil change. I don't have a stash because I live in a metropolitan area with 8 million people and if there are "deals" they're usually gone before I get there...that and there's limited space to store it. I don't do the mail-in rebate thing...if I can get it cheap at the point of sale then that's fine.

Best "value" is a totally variable thing based on several factors that might include what you drive and how much it costs to actually get it ( not buy it ) versus the intrinsic "value factor" of the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back