Did the H11 to H9 mod... wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the Miata is now gone, my van is getting more attention. For the longest time, I've been wanting to change out the H11 low beams for H9 bulbs. Not difficult in most situations, since minor modification to the H9 bulb is all that's necessary. However, the Sedona takes the rare H11B bulb, which is a rebased H11 bulb. So aside from needing to splice and solder on an actual H11 socket and modify the dust cap housing slightly, it was a straightforward install. I used the plain old Philips H9 (made in China). The difference in light output is insane... no other way to put it. The light is whiter, much brighter, and much more usable. Many people insist that this mod increases the downroad and side throw of the beam; I found this to be somewhat true. What really happens is that the beam pattern is still identical, but everything within that beam pattern is more intense, including areas that were scarcely lit before. The projectors on this van don't utilize any squirrel spotters, FWIW. The cutoff is still as sharp as it was before, and I did not have to re-aim the beams. I don't foresee heat being an issue, since the headlamp assembly is quite large and has a lot of dead air space inside. If your vehicle uses the H11 bulb, give this mod a shot.

I didn't know the Philips H9s were made in China...interesting.

Yes, your beam pattern should remain identical with the H9s. Their filament location is in the exact same place as the H11s. The fact that your projectors don't use squirrel spotters makes them an ideal candidate for this switch.

My 2011 Camry had relatively bright squirrel spotter sections above the cut-off, and the H9 swap resulted in me sort of blinding myself with reflective street signs. I took 'em back out, but the difference in light output was remarkable.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
I've done it with the Philips H9 a few times but they only lasted about a year, if that.

I've had mine in my fog lights for 5 years that are always on while driving at night.

Originally Posted By: A_A_G

I've had mine in my fog lights for 5 years that are always on while driving at night.

This is bad practice at speeds above 25MPH.

Foglights create excessive foreground lighting, constricting the drivers pupils, making it harder to see things at the extent of the low beams, yet giving that warm and fuzzy feeling of being able to see better when in fact the opposite is true.

Whenever I see anybody driving on the highway with fog lights on, I think to myself.......Ignorant.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I used the plain old Philips H9 (made in China). The difference in light output is insane... no other way to put it. The light is whiter, much brighter, and much more usable. Many people insist that this mod increases the downroad and side throw of the beam; I found this to be somewhat true. What really happens is that the beam pattern is still identical, but everything within that beam pattern is more intense, including areas that were scarcely lit before. The projectors on this van don't utilize any squirrel spotters, FWIW. The cutoff is still as sharp as it was before, and I did not have to re-aim the beams. I don't foresee heat being an issue, since the headlamp assembly is quite large and has a lot of dead air space inside. If your vehicle uses the H11 bulb, give this mod a shot.

I did this mod few months ago for my daughter 2014 Accord. I bought Made in Germany Osram H9 from Amazon itself not third party seller, so I assume that this bulb is genuine not a fake one made in China. The light output of H9 is barely brighter than H11, I was so disappointed such that I didn't post it here, because I read so many success H11 to H9 mod.

I may try to get Philips H9 to see if it will make any difference compares with Osram H9. As far as I know the 2 best known and reputable automotive light bulbs are Osram and Philips, and made in Germany bulbs are 1 of the best quality one can buy.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I used the plain old Philips H9 (made in China). The difference in light output is insane... no other way to put it. The light is whiter, much brighter, and much more usable. Many people insist that this mod increases the downroad and side throw of the beam; I found this to be somewhat true. What really happens is that the beam pattern is still identical, but everything within that beam pattern is more intense, including areas that were scarcely lit before. The projectors on this van don't utilize any squirrel spotters, FWIW. The cutoff is still as sharp as it was before, and I did not have to re-aim the beams. I don't foresee heat being an issue, since the headlamp assembly is quite large and has a lot of dead air space inside. If your vehicle uses the H11 bulb, give this mod a shot.

I did this mod few months ago for my daughter 2014 Accord. I bought Made in Germany Osram H9 from Amazon itself not third party seller, so I assume that this bulb is genuine not a fake one made in China. The light output of H9 is barely brighter than H11, I was so disappointed such that I didn't post it here, because I read so many success H11 to H9 mod.

I may try to get Philips H9 to see if it will make any difference compares with Osram H9. As far as I know the 2 best known and reputable automotive light bulbs are Osram and Philips, and made in Germany bulbs are 1 of the best quality one can buy.

It's interesting how different housings react so differently to this modification. I drove again in the dark last light and was again amazed at the difference in output; not only in front of the vehicle, but off to the sides as well. And the whiter light is pleasing to the eye as well.

It's interesting how different housings react so differently to this modification. I drove again in the dark last light and was again amazed at the difference in output; not only in front of the vehicle, but off to the sides as well. And the whiter light is pleasing to the eye as well.

I did take a look at the package of the Osram H9(I have H11 bulb in there now), it clearly printed Made in Germany.

I will try Philips H9 to see if its brightness will be better than Osram H9.

I did take a look at the package of the Osram H9(I have H11 bulb in there now), it clearly printed Made in Germany.

I will try Philips H9 to see if its brightness will be better than Osram H9.

The Philips H9 bulbs are made in China. No idea what that means in terms of quality though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back