New vacuum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
An old vacuum salesman told me once that they would practically give you the vac if you would only buy a few bags every year for decades thereafter.

Rather significant in long term use as far as costs, eh?

Maybe that was the case when you were forced to buy overpriced bags locally. Now, you can buy them online for low prices.

It depends what you vacuum, but my Electrolux bags last a long time, as in quite a few months. I've had the current bag in my Electrolux for more than six months.

We have two Dysons in the hall closet. One is about ten years old and the other around 5 years. They do a great job and are real easy to empty. Clean the filter once a year is all they need.

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: whip
What are the problems with bag less? I have a bag less, and I have no intentions of getting a bag model. I have two dogs, and the canister fills up every other time I vacuum. I can't imagine buying a bag every 2-3 weeks.

The bagless ones have one or two filters you need to clean pretty much every time you dump the canister. Its a pain and dirty. Buy a quantity of bags on Amazon or other places and they are pretty cheap.

This is my experience with them. You have to empty them every time or two you use 'em, which is annoying, and there are filters that get clogged up and need to be cleaned or replaced. I change the bag in our Electrolux once every 2 or 3 months (it gets quite dense and heavy before it needs to go), the after filter every 5th bag, and I'm good to go. Replacing the bag takes about 30 seconds and is completely mess-free, no worries about the dust and stuff getting out, nothing to go outside and shake, etc.

I'll stipulate that a bagless may have a lower operating cost, but to me it's not worth the hassle.

jeff

If the canister fills up after 2-3 uses, a bag has to also be filled after the same use. I don't want a dense and heavy bag of garbage sitting in my house for a few months. Vacuum, and I take the canister to the outside garbage can, and dump. Quick shake of the filter, and I'm ready for the next time.

If the canister fills up after 2-3 uses, a bag has to also be filled after the same use. I don't want a dense and heavy bag of garbage sitting in my house for a few months. Vacuum, and I take the canister to the outside garbage can, and dump. Quick shake of the filter, and I'm ready for the next time.

People obviously have different preferences for this stuff so I won't argue the bagless isn't the right machine for you or anybody else.

In my experience the bags hold much more stuff than a bagless canister. It's sealed in there securely and gets densely packed by the vacuum. That's why you don't hear people talking about changing bags often, the way you do about people emptying canisters. I've never noticed the bag to smell so don't have the same objection to the "dense and heavy bag of garbage" being inside the machine. It does seem to me that you'd need to wash or at least rinse a bagless canister from time to time?

I read the procedure you describe and see that I'd be out in my garage dumping the canister and shaking off the filter over 100x per year. In comparison I put a bag in the trash can 5 or 6 times a year and change one filter.

jeff

I read the procedure you describe and see that I'd be out in my garage dumping the canister and shaking off the filter over 100x per year.

Not to mention the cloud of dust that gets released and that you breathe in when you dump the canister. Very messy, IME.

People obviously have different preferences for this stuff so I won't argue the bagless isn't the right machine for you or anybody else.

In my experience the bags hold much more stuff than a bagless canister. It's sealed in there securely and gets densely packed by the vacuum. That's why you don't hear people talking about changing bags often, the way you do about people emptying canisters. I've never noticed the bag to smell so don't have the same objection to the "dense and heavy bag of garbage" being inside the machine. It does seem to me that you'd need to wash or at least rinse a bagless canister from time to time?

I read the procedure you describe and see that I'd be out in my garage dumping the canister and shaking off the filter over 100x per year. In comparison I put a bag in the trash can 5 or 6 times a year and change one filter.

jeff

You've hit on something here. The one complaint I have about my Dyson is the frequency the canister needs to be emptied. I will have to empty it before I'm done vacuuming the house one time, and if I don't, the vacuum will automatically shut down and it won't turn back on a for a couple of hours. It must have some kind of safety circuit inside that shuts the unit down when the canister gets too full. By contrast, I only have to change the bag on the Oreck about every 3 months...

Amen!
I travel almost every day. I'm either going to the store, or picking up kids at school - or to work....etc. I put my bagless cannister in my vehicle and instead of emptying it in my home garbage can, especially on windy days, I locate one of many dumpsters in the neighborhood to dump the contents.

Another great thing about bagless cannisters is whenever I vacuum, I remove the cannister and place it in my backyard, out of rain's way. Those of us that have pets and know about fleas and ticks, know why we do this. You can't do this with your non-bagless paper bag filters on Oreck's, Kirbys....etc.

Last edited:
The bags vs. bagless debate reminds me of the Rexair Rainbow my folks used to have. It sent the air through a pan of water and the water would catch all the dust and dirt, so you ended up with a big pan of sludge when you were done. Worked great for catching dust; it would catch everything, but what a mess to deal with later!
37.gif

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
The bags vs. bagless debate reminds me of the Rexair Rainbow my folks used to have. It sent the air through a pan of water and the water would catch all the dust and dirt, so you ended up with a big pan of sludge when you were done. Worked great for catching dust; it would catch everything, but what a mess to deal with later!
37.gif

Not to mention that they came to your house and tried to sell you a $2,000 vacuum. $2,000!!!
$2,000!!! For that much money it needs to vacuum on its own. I don't care how good it is. There is no vacuum worth $2,000. For that kind of money I can pay somebody else to clean my house.

Recently purchased a Bissell 89Q9 Lift-Off Multi-Cyclonic Pet Vacuum from Goodwill for $25. Must say it's a great vacuum. The center portion is detachable for the stairs. Did have to clean it really good of course. Just using it a couple times think we got a steal! Our Dirt Devil finally shoot sparks out of the motor after 12 years.. rebuilt that worthless piece of junk more time that's I'll admit to!

4+ pages of dudes talking about vacuum cleaners. Love it.

Redhat, like mentioned well above, is it an upright or a canister vac you're after?

In ~20yrs of homeownership, we've had a Kenmore canister, a Sharp canister, an Oreck upright and currently use a cheapo Dirt-Devil upright and a Hoover Porta-power for a canister.

The smoke came out of the motor on the Kenmore after about 5yrs. The hose broke on the Sharp after about 3yrs. It was completely cost prohibitive to repair either.

Oreck's are OK for a bagged upright depending on what type of carpet you have. A thick, tall pile and they don't do well IMO. I'd only buy refurbs online.

The Hoover Porta Power is an impressive little unit with a cloth bag. Buy one on eBay and save some bucks.

I'm another one that absolutely cannot see spending big bucks on a new, present day vacuum.. Unless you're talking a nice whole-house, built-in setup.

Originally Posted By: JTK
4+ pages of dudes talking about vacuum cleaners. Love it.
In ~20yrs of homeownership, we've had a Kenmore canister, a Sharp canister, an Oreck upright and currently use a cheapo Dirt-Devil upright and a Hoover Porta-power for a canister...

I'm another one that absolutely cannot see spending big bucks on a new, present day vacuum..

This site is nothing if not a place for people with unusual interests to congregate
smile.gif

In my 15 years of home ownership I've had one vacuum, the aforementioned Electrolux 2100. Perhaps you'd have been better served by buying a "big bucks" vacuum in the first place?
wink.gif

jeff

...Perhaps you'd have been better served by buying a "big bucks" vacuum in the first place?
wink.gif

jeff

Could be!

The Kenmore and Sanyo (my bad, saying it was a Sharp) were both discounted store purchases. Kenmore was a close-out and the Sanyo a refurb. I may have spent $250 combined. The other vacs are still in service. The Oreck was $79 and the Hoover ~$130. ~$460 could indeed have bought a better unit.

Your talking "Top tier" in price, but I was a Kirby salesman for 3 years and owned a shop for 2 years.. The machines are absolute tanks, and very powerful. Im no longer in the Vac business however I know one thing, with few exceptions, most plastic vacumes wear out.. and if used regular its usually within 3-4 years..(just because it turns on doesn't mean its picking up much) Most decent performance is long gone within 2 years..

slightly higher quality plastic vacs are solid performers in the the $300-$500 range however they are still considered disposable machines.

In the past 23 years ive owned 2 Kirbys. No they are not perfect and have there flaws, but long lasting performance is to be expected. 2 pennies.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: gman2304
and won a new Kirby model G in a sales contest. He sold it to me and his mom for $300

Wow.
shocked2.gif

Haha I said that same exact thing before I saw your post!! We drove past a Kirby store yesterday and I wondered what they cost. I remember those door to door Kirby guys back in the late 80s.

And that's still how they are sold today ! I sold my last Kirby in 1999 before entering my new career. in 1999 they were $1729.00 im sure they are likely in the mid $2,000 range now.
With that said NO WAY would I buy from door to door guys, the markup is insane and enough to make used car salesman blush.. buying from a credible used vac shop or craigslist is wise. I gave $150.00 for my first machine it was a one year old used one.. my second machine I got for $300 and its maybe 3 years old but in solid condition..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
37.gif

Not to mention that they came to your house and tried to sell you a $2,000 vacuum. $2,000!!!
$2,000!!! For that much money it needs to vacuum on its own. I don't care how good it is. There is no vacuum worth $2,000. For that kind of money I can pay somebody else to clean my house.

Rainbows have been tested and are a complete hoax. The air does not pass through the water, it simply is directed towards it. Larger particles are captured and smaller stuff goes straight back out into your air. At least a bag will catch a few more as long as it's not some cloth dinosaur like those Kirbys.

Interesting that of the roughly 8-10 Dysons I have purchased most cost 299 or less and have never broken or needed any repair despite being used 3-5 times per day 6 days a week. We actually did break one, helper fell on it, and they fixed it for free. 5 year warranty.

And better than HEPA filtration means nuttin escapes...

I have three Kirby vacuums. My ex-wife and I bought one new back in about 2001. She took it in the divorce in 2004. I liked it so much that I bought a newer model used with all of the attachments off of CL for $300. I then went to a garage sale that had the same model that I had bought off of CL, for only $25 with all of the attachments that worked fine so I bought it too.

I had told my ex-wife when we got divorced that if she ever decided to get rid of the Kirby to give me first shot at it. A few years ago she called me and told me I could have it so I got our original Kirby back.

My fiancee's grandmother has a Kirby that is over 30 years old that still works fine.

I use the Hepa filters in my Kirby's and they work very well.

Anyway, I doubt I will ever have to buy another vacuum again. LOL

Wayne

Originally Posted By: JTK
I'm another one that absolutely cannot see spending big bucks on a new, present day vacuum.. Unless you're talking a nice whole-house, built-in setup.

We have a central vac but you still need a portable one for some stuff. We still have the 30-year old Kenmore (Panasonic) canister we bought when we got married. It still works, but parts are starting to become unavailable. New Panasonics that are almost identical are about $184 on Amazon and when this one finally kicks it that's what I'm buying.

We have a Miele Canister with hepa and its fantastic, its so quiet you can talk on the phone while using it. Its 100% German made inc motor and accessories, you can get one for under $400 still all German made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back