BMW "Special Oils," and "High Performance Diesel"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of questions regarding these two specifications of oil:

Are there oils out there still that meet this specification? Does BMW allow companies to certify their oil against this, or is it just 'not done,' anymore? (For example, the last updated list BMW had listed Shell Helix products, such as their 10w40 and 10w30. Would these products still meet the specification?)

I want to relate the question of Special Oils to what BMW dealers were using in the early 90s. My car is a 1993 E36, and I'm rather curious as to what BMW was filling cars with before the Special Oils standard of 1996, and free-scheduled maintenance. My guess was the BMW High Performance Mineral Oil (15w40)

My other question relates to BMW "High Performance Diesel Oil." Now, if you Google this supposed certification, you end up with a page from Mobil 1 about their 5w50 oil. http://www.mobil.com/Australia-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_5W-50.aspx
Does this standard/certification exist, or is M1 5w50 an exclusive fill on some engines (like Castrol TWS 10w60 was?)...

Thanks for all responses.
While this information is really just outdated, I'm interested about the origins of BMW Oil standards, and what they meant in their time.

Last edited:
They probably list 10w30 and 10w40 specs because at that time 5w30 might not have been up to par. If the manual or filler caps says 10w30 or 40 than I would use a modern day 10w30 or 10w40 Shell Syn or Mobil. Contact bavauto.com and ask them too. They are MINI BMW Rolls Royce nuts and can help you out. I think they only sell Liquimoly, Redline and maybe Motul but there service is outstanding.

I'm not aware of a "BMW High Performance Diesel Oil" specification, published by BMW. I know that for a couple of years BMW specified the "M oil" (10W-60) for the BMW 123d (high output 2.0 twin turbo diesel, as bobbyd says) due to concerns over balance shaft bearing protection. This was remedied around 2008 and they moved it to the regular LL-04 recommendation.

Originally Posted By: weasley
I'm not aware of a "BMW High Performance Diesel Oil" specification, published by BMW. I know that for a couple of years BMW specified the "M oil" (10W-60) for the BMW 123d (high output 2.0 twin turbo diesel, as bobbyd says) due to concerns over balance shaft bearing protection. This was remedied around 2008 and they moved it to the regular LL-04 recommendation.

I was sort of thinking along the same lines, you know. Mobil is the only company I can find any information on this standard from - and its only from that production information sheet for their 5w50 product.

I have a 1994 build and factory fill was synthetic.

Use any synthetic 40 weight in your engine. I am using a blend 15w40 because it's cheaper and I do way less than 5000 miles in it before the yearly oil change. If 5w40 gives valvetrain noise then use 15w40.

Your E36 does not need any M special 10w60 or anything costly, and was never in the "Special Oils" category.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KDonkey
I have a 1994 build and factory fill was synthetic.

Use any synthetic 40 weight in your engine. I am using a blend 15w40 because it's cheaper and I do way less than 5000 miles in it before the yearly oil change. If 5w40 gives valvetrain noise then use 15w40.

Your E36 does not need any M special 10w60 or anything costly, and was never in the "Special Oils" category.

Very interesting. I thought that factory fill was either their 15w40 "High Performance Mineral," or something else.

Definitely wouldn't put a -60 weight into an M50 that doesn't see anything more than highway cruising. LOL

The "Special Oils" standard predated LongLife - which was mainly 5w/10w-40/50 and a couple of 30s. Semi or Full synthetic. Not to be used for more than 15000km (9000miles).

I have a 1995 E36/5 that I purchased new and the factory fill was not synthetic; BMW did not start using synthetic as a factory fill until 1998-1999.

Correction: There were two stages to the shift. By engine, the M62 V8 went to 5W-30 synthetic in 1996. The S54 was the second "Special Oil" which was the TMS Euro oil and started with the Z3 M cars around 2000. After the introduction of the E46 3 series in 1999 all engines save the Sxx ///M motorsreceived 5W-30 BMW High Performance Synthetic."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back