M1 EP 0w20 or TGMO 0w20....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I can get M1 EP 0w20 for $23 on Amazon, I have 5 quarts of TGMO 0w20 that I was planning on using. I was thinking since the M1 is on sale and I could get it at a decent price that I could run it for the summer fill as it has a high percentage of PAO and might stand up to the summer heat better, then I could use the TGMO for the fall/winter fill. Is this a good idea or would you just stick with the TGMO that I already have in stock. OCI would be 5,000 miles or MM which would work out to about 7 months. Driving style is severe, most trips being 1-5 miles in length. What would you do? Thanks in advance BITOG!

Great price for the M1 EP. I saw it on Amazon for $26.68 [5 qt jug] shipped free, as part of an order over $35.

Is your price a special deal? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: car51
Since you have TGMO, why not use it?

I just thought that since the EP was on sale, I would buy some, and if I had both at my disposal, the EP might be a better suit for the warmer months.

I don't think it'll matter much for warmer months since your car doesn't warm up much. Now if you were driving it real hard and some 80 mph highway I'd maybe choose a more suitable summer oil.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Did you already get the M1 rebate?

No I have not, Is Amazon included?

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Yes, check the long thread in the promotions section.

Yes, check the long thread in the promotions section.

Thanks for reminding me! I had forgot about the rebate. I just purchased a 5 quart jug of the M1 EP 0w20. I got it for $23 (after using $3.?? in rewards points I had accrued), the rebate should be $12 so after its all said and done I will be getting a jug of M1 EP 0w20 for $11 and some change. Sounds like a steal to me! The TGMO I had waiting to go in will be used for the late fall/winter fill.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
?.................. now if you were driving it real hard and some 80 mph highway I'd maybe choose a more suitable summer oil.

Most people who have posted about TGMO seem to rave about how good it is.

I did not realize that TGMO doesn't handle the heat well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dkryan
?.................. now if you were driving it real hard and some 80 mph highway I'd maybe choose a more suitable summer oil.

It ought to handle the heat just fine. I just figured between the two oils, the one with more PAO would be the better suit for the summer. Both oils are top notch, the M1 EP 0w20 is just the top of the top.

Edit: plus the M1 EP 0w20 has an HTHS of 2.7 vs the TGMO 0w20 of 2.6, yes this is splitting hairs but its just what we do here on BITOG.

Last edited:

It ought to handle the heat just fine. I just figured between the two oils, the one with more PAO would be the better suit for the summer. Both oils are top notch, the M1 EP 0w20 is just the top of the top.

Edit: plus the M1 EP 0w20 has an HTHS of 2.7 vs the TGMO 0w20 of 2.6, yes this is splitting hairs but its just what we do here on BITOG.

I thought poa helped the cold flow properties and thus would be better in those frigid Florida winter months.

M1EP is good for 15,000 miles while TGMO is good for 10,000 miles.
thus I'm going to use M1EP in my prius for full 15,000 or maybe even 20,000 miles.
for you, with short tripping, no need to use synthetic oils.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I thought poa helped the cold flow properties and thus would be better in those frigid Florida winter months.

Cute....the reason I would use the TGMO is its crazy VI, I was thinking the low start up viscosity would be better.

The difference isn't really all that much. The M1 product is 60-70% PAO, the TGMO is 0% PAO. If you get the M1 at a good price, that makes it a better "deal" (because PAO is expensive). It would also have significantly less VII in it as you can make a 0w-20 with PAO with no VII's whatsoever....

IMHO, the EP 0w-20 is a better oil. But I don't worship at the alter of VI so YMMV.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The difference isn't really all that much. The M1 product is 60-70% PAO, the TGMO is 0% PAO. If you get the M1 at a good price, that makes it a better "deal" (because PAO is expensive). It would also have significantly less VII in it as you can make a 0w-20 with PAO with no VII's whatsoever....

IMHO, the EP 0w-20 is a better oil. But I don't worship at the alter of VI so YMMV.

Overkill, would you please explain the comment that TGMO has 0% PAO. First I have heard of it.
Thanks!

Still a NOOB here on oil. I also use TGMO in the Camry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back