Seafoam - Did I do damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran half a can of seafoam through my brake booster on my 2007 Escalade 6.2L yesterday. I was dumping it pretty quick as the truck was idling. As I emptied half the can I had my buddy shut the truck off but it kept running and knocking very bad for about 5 seconds then finally died.. I let it sit for a few minutes in fear that I did some real damage but the truck fired right up and sounded fine.. Did I do any long term damage though? It was knocking very loud, shaking and sputtering it did not sound good... Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I dont know what causes this, but our Uplander did the same thing! We shut it off and it knocked like it had bad rod knock for about 5 seconds, seemed like forever though. When I used to seafoam my Accord it purred just fine with no abnormal noises.

Doubt any damage at all. Back in the days of emissions controlled carbs, if things weren't just right, you'd could shut the engine off but it would continue on "dieseling" for a while. Very common back in the day and AFAIK no engine suffered shortened life because of it. Your engine dieseled because of the Seafoam. Forgetaboutit.

Several years ago I bought on old P71 Police car at an auction. It had been sitting for about a year under a tree and hadn't been driven much. I got it home, ran the entire can of Seafoam through the brake booster line, shut it off and let it sit for 20 minutes. When I started the engine again it smoked like it was on fire and it ran a rough. After about 5 minutes it started to run smoother and I took it out on the road. After driving it for about 10 miles it ran better.......a lot better. I put in new fluids and plugs and that car ran like a scalded dog. It was the 4.6L mod motor.

I doubt you did anything too bad..if anything at all. YMMV.

A chemical that separates you from your money.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What is in seafoam that does anything except produce smoke?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
What problem with your 6.2 were you trying to solve?

I'd like to know this as well.

Thanks for posting the video. Actual evidence that Seafoam cleans carbon,just like many of us here have said,contrary to the negativity posted all the time.

Use it or don't use it. But if you haven't used it how about keeping your mouth shut since apparently the negativity posted is wrong.

And a piston soak cleans it fantastically.

Perhaps the formula hasn't changed for 80 years because it works. It's just that simple.
Naysayers insert foot in mouth.

I often wonder why folks will dump the stuff thru the brake boost line or similar. Seafoam comes in a great aerosol can with a nozzle designed to fit in the intake tube just behind the MAF while the intake tube is still all hooked up so there is no issues with that so that the stuff evenly gets to all cylinders, on the throttle body, etc to clean up things. A much better application method IMO.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: CT8
What is in seafoam that does anything except produce smoke?

Dunno. Watch the video.
Water will do the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Thanks for posting the video. Actual evidence that Seafoam cleans carbon,just like many of us here have said,contrary to the negativity posted all the time.

Use it or don't use it. But if you haven't used it how about keeping your mouth shut since apparently the negativity posted is wrong.

And a piston soak cleans it fantastically.

Perhaps the formula hasn't changed for 80 years because it works. It's just that simple.
Naysayers insert foot in mouth.

I dunno, that seems like a LOT of drama and effort to remove what was obviously a very small amount of soft carbon. That engine was not "carbon'd up".

Odds are, water would have done the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back