SuperTech Synthetic - Best Value Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an observation - SuperTech Synthetic is priced at about $17 per 5-qt jug at Walmart.

For the same price (within $1), you can get Pennzoil conventional, Castrol GTX conventional or Valvoline Conventional (though I think Valvoline is on rollback).

Since none of these oils are approved for any of the newest OEM specifications, they are obviously targeted towards the applications which have less-stringent requirements.

At $17/qt jug, I really think SuperTech synthetic is an extremely good value compared to the name-brand conventionals. With SuperTech Synthetic, you should get higher quality base-stocks and a more potent additive package since you are purchasing a brand's premium product...versus a major brand's entry-level product.

What do you guys think?

Quaker State Ultimate Durability is only $4 more at $21 for a five qt container. I believe its a better oil for just four dollars more. If Havoline had their 5 qt containers at Walmart I wonder what the price would be? Because the Havoline conventional is $13.50 for a five qt container. QSUD is really at a great price all things being called equal. In my opinion
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Quaker State Ultimate Durability is only $4 more at $21 for a five qt container. I believe its a better oil for just four dollars more. If Havoline had their 5 qt containers at Walmart I wonder what the price would be? Because the Havoline conventional is $13.50 for a five qt container. QSUD is really at a great price all things being called equal. In my opinion
smile.gif

I agree that QS UD is better because it is Dexos1 approved. Supertech Synthetic may be capable of the performance level, but without testing and approval, we cannot confirm this.

Therefore, I really do not think the two are cross-shopped. QS UD is targeted towards the premium customer who is interested in satisifying the OEM requirements for a vehicle under warranty. Supertech Synthetic is a mid-tier product that is targeted towards the price-conscious, likely out of warranty customer.

Another idea.. Pennzoil HM has TBN of 9.2 and 258 ppm of moly.. Pretty darn good for only $16.97 5 qt container... Now in my opinion that is really worth considering
smile.gif

It has an above average Calcium content and 200 ppm boron. I have used it for many years and have done 10,000 OCI's on two different vehicles with outstanding results. I would probably take it over any conventional oil and most synthetics. Not because it is better than other synthetics but bc it is more fairly priced. I just don't like to overpay for something that more than does the job.

Call me cheap or call me smart.

Now if you are locked into the 1950's and 60's and do 3000/4000 oci's than buy the cheapest conventional oil on the planet.

Last edited:
I used ST syn 10w30 in my old supercharged 99 corvette w 500hp. Zero issues. ST syn oil is a very good oil for the price.

yes at regular price, but who buys oil at regular price? specially syn?
Thanks to you guys I have a stash of syn bought at $1/qt or free.

Originally Posted By: stockrex

I had the same thought and I have the same sort of stash.
For those who let Walmart act as their stash and never buy oil except when they need it for a change, ST syn does look like a good value.
For those who plan ahead, take advantage of deals and always have oil on hand, ST syn looks like a poor value.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: stockrex

I had the same thought and I have the same sort of stash.
For those who let Walmart act as their stash and never buy oil except when they need it for a change, ST syn does look like a good value.
For those who plan ahead, take advantage of deals and always have oil on hand, ST syn looks like a poor value.
The Walmart "stash" is the latest stuff, not something you're stuck with from ten years ago for a car you just sold.

My engine is still running and even making power on ST Syn. This across scores of sub-freezing starts with a brand new engine this past nasty winter- That's a miracle.
I did put a "real" filter on for the first OCI, tossing that hamster sized Nissan OEM china junk that killed my other brand new Nissan in a couple months.

Really?
I'm "stuck" with a bunch of current spec oil bought on the cheap in grades appropriate to the vehicles we own.
I guess I'm not really seeing your point.

Right, I have 86 qts currently. Both vehicles use 5w30. I have a couple years worth of oil I got for $1.99 or less. A lot of it being Castrol syn blend for $1. So you can buy your full price oil.

Another idea.. Pennzoil HM has TBN of 9.2 and 258 ppm of moly.. Pretty darn good for only $16.97 5 qt container... Now in my opinion that is really worth considering
smile.gif

I would avoid any HM oil (with seal sweller additives) unless I really needed to deal with leaking seals and had tried other methods (like replacement).

"you should get higher quality base-stocks and a more potent additive package since you are purchasing a brand's premium product...versus a major brand's entry-level product."

Pennzoil and Quaker State looked similar. Try out the ST for a year and see(listen) how you like it. Some folks sure do like it.

Its a great oil for the money. Not all stores have sales/clearance racks. Not everyone hoards motor oil.

I'd use it anywhere a conventional oil can be used. Easy upgrade to full synth without breaking the budget.

But, you cant beat the rebate, sale, or clearance aisle if your local oil retailer participates....

Jug of clearance Castrol Synth gold bottle...$16 walmart find
Qts of peak synth ... 55% off... $3qt... pepboys
Getg g-oil... clearance $1qt walfart
napa synth sales couple times year $3.50qt
https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions
RoyalPurple... possible clearance at walmart

And, all that Autozone, OreillyAuto, AdvanceAutoP, Napa, Carquest, Pepboys...dusty bottle oil clearances and sales...

smile.gif

I tested ST Syn vs Amsoil, M1 and VWB at a 5000 mile distance and got UOAs for all four oils.. The results were just as good but the additives had been depleted more in the ST. In the right climate I would not hesitate to use it, but probably not for extended drains.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Just an observation - SuperTech Synthetic is priced at about $17 per 5-qt jug at Walmart.

Since none of these oils are approved for any of the newest OEM specifications, they are obviously targeted towards the applications which have less-stringent requirements.

What do you guys think?

All of them meet API SN/RC and GF-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back