Grapes From Chile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grapes from Chile are shipped via ocean going ships , Google the topic, it is a very sophisticated operation .

They have shipments of food from South America worked out pretty well. It is by ship. Highways through Panama would not be efficient enough.

I am most impressed by the bananas from Ecuador that get to the States in such fresh condition.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
They have shipments of food from South America worked out pretty well. It is by ship. Highways through Panama would not be efficient enough.

I am most impressed by the bananas from Ecuador that get to the States in such fresh condition.

They came fresh to Europe too, quite a trip.

Also, kiwi from Italy. 2 factors: falling Euro and Russian Embargo (the self-imposed self-mutilation by Russian Gov)

In general, I'm dismayed by how the quality of produce at the grocers has gone down in the past 40 years. It's reached a point that my stomach can hardly tolerate the starchiness in the fruits.

Nowadays produce is grown in specialized locations, rather than locally, and we're dependent on the shipping industry for distribution. I imagine the growers produce strains of fruits and vegetables that are most resistant to rot during shipping and delay to market and not for palatability. The produce looks good, but has little taste.

The shipping part of the equation can make produce very expensive in times of expensive oil. Not all shipping is on ocean liners. A lot of it is trucked.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
In general, I'm dismayed by how the quality of produce at the grocers has gone down in the past 40 years. It's reached a point that my stomach can hardly tolerate the starchiness in the fruits.

Nowadays produce is grown in specialized locations, rather than locally, and we're dependent on the shipping industry for distribution. I imagine the growers produce strains of fruits and vegetables that are most resistant to rot during shipping and delay to market and not for palatability. The produce looks good, but has little taste.

The shipping part of the equation can make produce very expensive in times of expensive oil. Not all shipping is on ocean liners. A lot of it is trucked.
They are lacking vitamins and minerals as well.

Less vitamins, really?

My favorite is the farmers markets here in Chicago selling bananas, mango, etc. They cant be grown locally so...
You know they just bought them at Costco/Sam's Club/Aldi and are reselling them for 4x the price to the hipsters.
But the hipsters LOVE it. They are a really smart bunch.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Originally Posted By: Cristobal

They came fresh to Europe too, quite a trip.

Bananas are picked very green for shipping. If you get a banana locally in one of the producing countries I hear it is generally larger than what you get in Europe or the US.

Yep, the locally grown fresh produce we get in Minnesota in say February, is wonderful. I'm sure Detroit is similar Unless it is something that can be stored for months on end through the winter or grown reliably in a greenhouse (which is expensive), fresh produce in the winter in this climate, it doesn't exist. 40 years ago, it still was transported in from long distance - typically California on express trains, like the fruit express. My grandfather serviced several produce distributors, all located on rail, for this exact reason, as a locomotive engineer.

We can gripe that we don't like what is transported in, but recognize that without it, there wouldn't be near the fresh produce you have available today.

When local product is available, I do tend to buy that. Apples for example, and I agree they are better. The rest of the year, I'm grateful I can eat what I want from where ever...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Very sour grapes compared to California grapes.

They get here by ship.

Agree. Also, California grapes are cheaper too, sometimes we bought California grapes on sale for $0.49/lb.

Get my grapes from the local vineyards free
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back