How important is it to only use Honda ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't change that Peak fluid. I can't speak for DW-1 but Honda's older Z-1 was nothing special....many Honda owners did fine with Maxlife, Castrol IMV, Amsoil etc....

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: CKN
I had a Honda Accord I used for business. It saw alot of road. I used the Castrol Multi Vehicle or the Honda fluid. I would alternate fluids without issue. Traded in the car with 113,000 miles with no issues with the transmission. BudOne is right-it's OK to use per the manufacturer of the Fluid.

113k miles is not enough miles to draw any conclusions. You'd likely have had no tranny issues on the factory fill at only 113k miles.

Even at a routine 150miles/day? Stop and go?

The ONLY fluid that Honda/Acura approves is there DW-1. They do not approve Castrol/Maxlife/Peak or anything else. The OTC fluids may claim to meet the specs but Honda/Acura does not approve them. I choose to run OEM ATF in Honda/Acura products.

It would be very helpful if those who state "Honda automatic transmissions are picky about the fluid used" and "use Honda ATF only" would provide some evidence for such statements.

It is quite interesting to read through applicable threads in the Odyclub forum (Honda Odyssey vans) and note the change over the years as posts shift from "use Honda ATF only" to "Maxlife and Amsoil (and others) have shown good results." I won't pretend to have "the" answer, but with a sample size of two (Odyssey and Pilot), Maxlife, Castrol ATF for Imports, plain Dexron III, and Dexron VI have given acceptable service in terms of the driving experience. Of course, who knows what might happen after 200,000 miles, though reaching that point with the transmission in a 2001 Odyssey pretty much falls into the category of miracle. While waiting for that milestone to arrive, I'll keep using Maxlife because it gives shifts that are both quick and smooth, because as a synthetic it might breakdown more slowly than other ATFs, and it has given good results for many Odyssey and Pilot drivers.

I don't own a Honda and I constantly hear people repeating that Honda ATF only should be be used but I have also heard about plenty of problem free miles with other fluids. If I had a Honda I would use Maxlife dex/merc.

I used Castrol synthetic ATF in an 08 Civic, and it has been fine
smile.gif

Well I have owned two Hondas, both had universal fluid in them (universal IMPORT) so most likely Castrol IMV and they both had a marked improvement in shifting when switching to Honda OEM ATF. The 1996 Accord went from clunky to silky smooth, as in you could not feel it shift, my jaw almost hit the floor after that fluid change. Same thing with the 2006 in my sig just not as dramatic. I know that Honda has a unique transmission design and uses certain clutch material. I know that I can trust Honda DW-1 because it is designed by Honda for Honda automatics. Its the only ATF that will go in mine for sure. Seriously though If you want to use something else go for it, its your car! The Honda ATF police are not going to get you.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
You don't have to use Honda branded ATF, but YOU DO HAVE TO USE A FLUID THAT MEETS Z-1 and or DW-1 Honda specs, the DW-1 being required since about 2011 and DW-1 can be used on all Honda vehicles prior to 2011 as well.

If the fluid doesn't meet the spec for your model year car
DO NOT USE IT.

MaxLife products do NOT meet DW-1 requirements.

vert true also I would only use Honda DW-1... Now I admit i have tried castrol a few times b I always go back to Honda DW-1

Personally I dont think 1 drain and fill of peak full syn will hurt anything...

However on your next Oil Change you might want to get 3 QTs of real Genuine Honda DW-1 and do a drain and fill just to be safe.

The Honda ATF is made for Honda TRansmissions ONLY...

the day I see a transmission say Factory filled with valvoline atf or peak atf or any other brand then I might buy into useing after market ATF. However I feel Transmission cost to much $ and why take a chance over saving a few $

I had a transmission shop blow 5 rebuilds on a Mercury Mystic....
WHY????????????
b/c they were useing a Universal ATF and the Transmission kept overheating and would blow...

They kept fixing it free but I noticed they were useing Wolfs Head... later I found out that transmission was not made by ford and I think it was a Mazda Transmission....
Anways.... long story.

If I were you I would only use the Honda fluid. What I would do is to go back and tell the guy that he did not use the fluid specified for that vehicle and he either changes it FOC or he pays for it to be changed. In either case get an oil analysis to make sure that it is done correctly. As far as so called multi vehicle fluids are concerned there have now been several published articles condemning them. Anyone can say something such as 'meets requirements' or 'recommended'. In my opinion, and I'm not alone, this type of statement is worthless without formal OEM approval.

I have started switching over the ATF in my Ridgeline to Redline D4. Every oil change I do a drain/fill on the ATF (approx 3 quarts). I'm doing the same thing on my daughter's CRV but with Amsoil ATF. Shifting on both vehicles seems to have improved. I will say this for Honda, they make it very easy to do the drain and fill on the Transmission!

Honda are definitely easy enough to drain//refill.

And, I've never found Honda picky about fluids. Use the Peak ATF without fear.

I would practice a more regular drain/refill regimen.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'd prefer to have the DW-1 in it, so for the next three oil changes I'm just going to do a drain and refill of three quarts. That's probably still being paranoid, but putting the Honda ATF back in will make me feel better.

Originally Posted By: skaughtz
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'd prefer to have the DW-1 in it, so for the next three oil changes I'm just going to do a drain and refill of three quarts. That's probably still being paranoid, but putting the Honda ATF back in will make me feel better.

Nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution you can't go wrong with Honda brand DW-1 since they did all their testing of the vehicle with that exact fluid.

For older Honda/Acura models pre 2011, I still say that as long as the fluid you use is a reputable brand that clearly states on the bottle for use with/meets requirements/ recommended for older Hondas with the Z-1 spec you are also fine.

The newer Honda (2011+) models that require DW-1 I would stick with Honda's own branded fluid especially if you have a factory warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back