AC woes on Ficus AGAIN....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, a while back I posted about the AC freezing up. The dealer replaced the expansion valve and it seemed to have taken care of it but since then, I haven't taken any long drives. Right now, in on my way from Missouri to north Caroline and 100 miles in, my AC froze up. I had it on regular AC, not max, and had the fan set on 2. Do you think that make the grill shutters have anything to do with this? Because when they close, there's no air hitting the condenser, causing it to freeze. Let me know what you guys think.

Set it to max so the recirc is on to reduce the moisture that goes through the evap coils.

It shouldn't ice up, I don't know what's wrong with it

If freezing is the problem, the part that's freezing isn't the condenser in front of the radiator (which gives off heat), it's the the part embedded in the HVaC system that gives off cold air. So the grill shutters should have nothing to do with it.

That said, I have no idea why this is happening on your car. Ford dealer mechanics are very fallible, so it could be they diagnosed the problem incorrectly. Hope you get it resolved soon.

I realize the condenser isn't what's freezing but the condenser getting a lack of air flow could cause it maybe idk.

I had an old Ford Ranger that would ice over on the interstate.

Turned out it was just low on refrigerant.

I'm sure they checked that but it could be leaking out. Take it back.

Yeah that isn't normal. My A/C in my car gets run year round in our climate and I've never had any kind of A/C issue, especially with freezing.

There should be a pressure switch on the low side, and it temporarily cycles the compressor off when the evap freezes. Other times there is a temperature sensor on the evap, but it serves the same function.

My dad had a Hyundai Excel, and learned that most of them would have a low side switch fail, and the compressor would never engage.

The A/C system might have an electronic module that doesn't just use on/off switches to control the compressor. In that case, I'm not sure what is happening.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I realize the condenser isn't what's freezing but the condenser getting a lack of air flow could cause it maybe idk.

lack of airflow would have the opposite effect.

Sounds like its warranty time again. AC systems freeze up for a variety of reasons the most common being a low charge.

I wonder if there is contamination in the lines and system itself partially clogging the expansion valve, wouldn't that partial clog cause a lack of refrigerant flow and possible icing?

I'm betting possibly that the compressor is shedding material into the system gradually.

It goes back Tuesday morning when I get home from vacation but we all know how that works they can't find the problem so they say they can't verify concern and ship it back to me.

Tell them to check the system for contamination from the compressor, and to check if the expansion valve is partially clogged as a result.
My guess is that you have metal filings entering the system and cogging the system gradually.

For some reason I don't think you can always see my posts maybe someone else can relay my comments to you ram_man.

It goes back Tuesday morning when I get home from vacation but we all know how that works they can't find the problem so they say they can't verify concern and ship it back to me.
Take it to a different dealership since I know you work for one and it might not be great if you do this, but I know that in Arizona if you take a car into the dealership 4 times for the same substantial problem (A/C issues are substantial) you can lemon law the car. You hire an attorney and they do all the work and the manufacturer pays for the attorney as well.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
OP - Don't you work at a Ford dealer?

Yeah that's what gets me!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I think somebody needs to focus on they're spelling better.

sorry my wife was typing and isn't used to my phone . My phone autocorrects incorrectly

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Take it to a different dealership since I know you work for one and it might not be great if you do this, but I know that in Arizona if you take a car into the dealership 4 times for the same substantial problem (A/C issues are substantial) you can lemon law the car. You hire an attorney and they do all the work and the manufacturer pays for the attorney as well.

I actually don't work for a dealer anymore . Couldn't stand their shoddy practices. Yes this will be the 4th time it goes in for this and I could lemon law it but I love my car it's one stupid issue that needs resolved.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I think somebody needs to focus on they're spelling better.

Yes. Spelling, grammar and proper word usage are extremely important, especially when they're used to point out someone else's mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back