Sold my bike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Most people I know that give up bikes around here when they become family men just trade the rockets in for cruisers.

I've heard that counterintuitive argument from riders many times over the years. I always ask them how a generally heavier bike (in some cases far heavier), with worse handling, braking and acceleration, thus less able to avoid an accident in the first place, is somehow safer?

I've owned a couple cruisers, and ridden many more. They offer a different riding experience than Sportbikes, which sometimes is exactly what people want. But I'd never consider them safer.

They also have a TON less power. And in general I find that an 883 Sportster is much more forgiving than a Yamaha R1. There is also much less temptation to get into shenanigans when you have 45hp vs 150+.

Having better handling, braking, and acceleration, not to mention the far stickier tires that are available in sizes for Sportbikes, can mean the difference between stopping short of that left-turning cager, avoiding the Deer that jumps out of the woods, avoiding the unskilled driver over the centerline in your lane, etc., or not.

Of course the rider does need to have the skill necessary to take advantage of those much higher capabilities of the bike. That's why riding schools, trackdays, etc. are good for all riders to participate in, to improve their riding skills, regardless of what type of bike they normally ride.

Having better handling, braking, and acceleration, not to mention the far stickier tires that are available in sizes for Sportbikes, can mean the difference between stopping short of that left-turning cager, avoiding the Deer that jumps out of the woods, avoiding the unskilled driver over the centerline in your lane, etc., or not.

Of course the rider does need to have the skill necessary to take advantage of those much higher capabilities of the bike. That's why riding schools, trackdays, etc. are good for all riders to participate in, to improve their riding skills, regardless of what type of bike they normally ride.

You are assuming there are trackdays and riding schools in all parts of the country...out here in many rural areas, they do not usually exist. If non sports bikes were so inferior we would all be paying through the nose for insurance on them since the highways and biways would be strewn with wrecks. Yet, I pay very little for my Speedie and with the aftermarket sticky Pirelli tires and the upgraded EBC pads, I have no issues stopping quickly and easily. And I can certainly get going faster than most soccer mom vehicles with just my 70hp.

You are assuming there are trackdays and riding schools in all parts of the country...out here in many rural areas, they do not usually exist. If non sports bikes were so inferior we would all be paying through the nose for insurance on them since the highways and biways would be strewn with wrecks. Yet, I pay very little for my Speedie and with the aftermarket sticky Pirelli tires and the upgraded EBC pads, I have no issues stopping quickly and easily. And I can certainly get going faster than most soccer mom vehicles with just my 70hp.

I'm not assuming anything. Who told you people can't travel to other States to attend a riding school or trackday? I've ridden on tracks all around the Country.

I did also say "etc." meaning essentially anything someone can do to improve their riding skills. The inference being: Learn the basics, then Practice, practice, practice, to always strive to become an increasingly skilled rider.

You're the one that said an R1 wasn't as forgiving as an 883 Sportster. I merely pointed out that the R1 has much higher capabilities, which means it can also save your bacon, if you, or anyone else, has the skill to exploit the higher capabilities of the bike.

In that context, I view the 883 Sportster as less forgiving. If the bike isn't as capable of avoiding a hazard, THAT is truly less forgiving.

Well since this post was about spending time with family and selling a bike to do so(as well as safety concerns)....I doubt someone in that situation will travel states away for those things. I am keeping my responses in the context of the original post.

Also if you are a family man and do not want to wreck, going out and pushing yourself to new limits on a high performance bike is not something you may want to do, because when you do that, you have a higher risk of screwing up which may result in a crash.

Instead you get a lower powered unit that has a user friendly power band that is not going to bite you if you twist the throttle a little too much or shift up/down at the wrong RPM. You just get a bike that allows you to enjoy the ride. It does everything you need it to.

Just like many hobby pilots do fine with a piper cub or small cessna, they don't need a P51 race plane.

I will say I wish the insurance people had your logic though...be much cheaper for my family to own our old muscle cars.

Last edited:
My point is also in the context of the thread. If you are going to do something (anything) that is more dangerous than sitting in a well-padded room, it is in your and your families best interest, to be as good at whatever that activity is, as possible. A tool that increases the likelihood of avoiding hazards while engaged in that activity, helps ensure That we will still being around for them.

A Cessna really isn't comparable to a low-performance bike. Unless of course the Cessna is flying in an airspace crammed wingtip-to-wingtip with thousands of other Cessna's, at the same time.

I'm a big fan of old muscle cars, have owned a few and built or helped build many over the years. But if they are in their original, non-restomod form, they are not comparable to a modern high performance bike. The old muscle cars did one thing well: Go quickly in a straight line.

Anyway, I wish the OP well in his decision. And all fellow riders either current or former, that they enjoy the road as they see fit.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: jeffie7
Life insurance...

So that whole fatherhood thing can just be replaced with some money, huh? To me it's not about the money. It's about kid growing up with a father and me enjoying being with the kid and living at least through his graduation.

Yes, many things in life can potentially kill you. It's just a matter of trying to eliminate the unnecessary risks for me. Granted, each of us has different tolerance for risk. That's fine.

Again, I didn't get life insurance because I ride a motorcycle, I got it because anything can happen and I'd rather go out knowing my wife, or myself can easily handle the burden of being a single parent. The biggest thing a father can do with their son is share their biggest joys in life, just being there to support them isn't always the best thing. On paper it is, but life is more than just being safe and cared for.

The whole R1/SS bike VS HD, I always get a kick out of it. If an R1 has too much power and can easily get you in trouble then you shouldn't be on that bike. Something like an FZ9 would be a great middle ground bike. However if you know how to ride, then a super sport bike >>>> everything else when it comes to being able to get out of a bind.
Yes, stick someone who isn't a good rider on a 180hp+ motorcycle and you're asking for trouble, if they can't control their wrist then clearly they shouldn't be on the bike.
It's not the bikes fault, it's the rider.

Bottom line, an HD hurts just as bad as an R1 when you run into the side of a car going 50mph. Which one is safer? The one you are better at riding.

OP sold his motorcycle IMO not so much because of kids, but because life after kids got too busy and riding it wasn't happening enough. For me, if riding to work wasn't an option I'd have a hard time finding times to ride. I get a ride in here and there on the weekend but mostly I ride during the week and those rides always involve going to/from work. I always take the long way and many times just ride around the area with no rush to get home.

I don't know what to say, having kids never really effected riding, and I really hate work to interfere with riding, Ive had that happen. But you know, no money no riding, but there has to be a balance.

My kids are grown and out of the house, and thats the way it should be .>G

Track days are nice as are schools; however you can practice your skills easily in an empty parking lot near home. To this day I get up on a Sunday morning and go to an unused parking lot and practice my skills. Set up a coarse and sharpen your skills without being on a road. Most all skills transfer to the highway you just have more objects to dodge.
MHO and it takes so little time.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Not sure why it has to be bike or family.

It's that whole "taking unnecessary risk" thing. It's one thing if you get killed and no one relies on you. It's a completely different ball of wax when you have kids that depend on you for everything. With so many inattentive/distracted/ignorant drivers out there, it may be just a matter of time before it's your turn to get mowed down. Time to find a safer hobby, I guess.

If you spend your life covering yourself in bubble wrap...are you really living?

Last edited:

You act like you can't take a riding school or a track day on a cruiser bike. You can, and I have. (My wife plans to bring her Honda Pacific Coast this year.)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

You act like you can't take a riding school or a track day on a cruiser bike. You can, and I have. (My wife plans to bring her Honda Pacific Coast this year.)

Is that what I said? Read the last sentence of mine that you quoted, again.

I never said someone couldn't participate in a riding school or trackday on a type of bike other than a Sportbike. I specifically said that ALL RIDERS can participate in those activities to improve their riding skills, regardless of what type of bike they ride.

I have several friends that have taught at riding and racing schools. The riding school participants are usually on their own bike; which can include Cruisers, Touring bikes, Scooters, etc.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
If you spend your life covering yourself in bubble wrap...are you really living?

I spent the first 35 years of my life without riding motorcycles, and I lived pretty well, IMO. I'm sure I can manage a few more.

As i wrote before, each of us has a different tolerance for risk. And there are plenty of ways to really live without subjecting yourself to some extreme risk activities.

Why are there those that are advocating against riding motorcycles in a motorcycle forum?

That's like someone advocating against lawn mowers in the lawn mower forum. I don't understand.

To the OP, everyone has their own path to travel in life and I respect yours.

I personally just gave my kids their first motorcycle rides this past week... and they both loved it. There is no doubt there's risk. Just ride safe and enjoy life.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Why are there those that are advocating against riding motorcycles in a motorcycle forum?

Nobody is advocating against riding. Some of us are saying we have made a decision to stop riding. We are not telling others to do the same, since it's a personal choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back