Loaner vehicle mishap

Status
Not open for further replies.
3/4 of my fleet is manual and I've done the same once or twice after not driving the Sonata for a while. Fortunately, it's been at lower speeds, but I've still locked up the brakes by catching the pedal with enough force to release the clutch that I think I'm trying to use.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dja4260
I drive a manual trans car. My loaner 2015 Elantra is automatic. Today after a 25 mile drive on the highway I signaled and moved over to the exit lane of the highway. I was going about 65 mph. I then pressed the imaginary clutch with force to coast it in neutral. When I pressed the imaginary clutch, I pressed the brakes. I LOCKED them up, water bottle with missing cap, and belongings went flying. I almost went through the steering column. Thank god no one was behind or someone could have been injured.

I've never done that before.

Maybe it's time to give up the keys and get a bus pass, genius.

Just kidding, I reach for the clutch on automatics too.

My daily driver has been automatic for at least 3+ years. I still occasionally end up reaching for clutch in the automatic.

[/quote] Coasting in neutral is less acceptable than leaving it in 4th or 5th until you NEED to downshift. Every little bit of engine braking means less break wear and one less clutch application. [/quote]

Coasting to a red right isn't acceptable? Regardless, the clutch will be used once. I typically coast when approaching a red light attempting to not brake. (not break)

Coasting in neutral is less acceptable than leaving it in 4th or 5th until you NEED to downshift. Every little bit of engine braking means less break wear and one less clutch application. [/quote]

Coasting to a red right isn't acceptable? Regardless, the clutch will be used once. I typically coast when approaching a red light attempting to not brake. (not break)

[/quote] That's what I usually do too.

I've caught the brake pedal when I wore snow boots.. rigid gum sole, you know the type. I look at it as an "unintended traction test" in the snow.
wink.gif

Some of the push button fob keyless ignitions require you to have your foot on the brake when you try to start. This rubs me the wrong way; I don't like the brake lights or any other electrical load on when cranking.

a common problem. happened to me once too. since then i remember having my left foot mentally "glued" to the footrest after i come back from europe or some other places where i drive manual cars.

After 30+ years of driving, I'm finally down to only doing this once or twice a year when I move from my manual Mazda to one of the other cars in the family fleet.

I drive a manual trans car. My loaner 2015 Elantra is automatic. Today after a 25 mile drive on the highway I signaled and moved over to the exit lane of the highway. I was going about 65 mph. I then pressed the imaginary clutch with force to coast it in neutral. When I pressed the imaginary clutch, I pressed the brakes. I LOCKED them up, water bottle with missing cap, and belongings went flying. I almost went through the steering column. Thank god no one was behind or someone could have been injured.

I've never done that before.

Occasionally on a long highway run, I'll forget I am driving a stick until the engine starts to lug as I slow down while exiting the highway.

There are generally at least two benefits to coasting in gear vs. in neutral:

1) Deceleration fuel cut-off, often initialized as "DFCO". If you're in gear, with the momentum of the vehicle keeping the engine going, your engine computer will often completely cut fuel, meaning you're truly using ZERO fuel. In contrast, if you coast in neutral, your engine computer cannot cut fuel because it has to keep the engine spinning by burning gas rather than by using the car's momentum.

2) If you have a belt-driven power steering pump, you sure don't want the engine to actually stop turning, because you suddenly lose power steering. If, for some reason, the engine were to stall or lose fuel (fuel pump failure, etc) and you're coasting in neutral, you'll lose power steering and you'll have enough vacuum reserve for just one use of the brakes. In contrast, if you're coasting in gear, your engine will continue to turn due the car's momentum and you'll have more time to react to any lights on the dash that pop up because of the problem.

Moral of the story: there are few cases where it's legitimately "better" to coast in neutral. Coast in whatever gear you're in for as long as possible, and then pull it out of gear at 1,000 rpm or so to let the engine idle.

Valet attendants can't drive standards, either. Except me. I seem to be the go-to guy for the Infiniti coupes, the Jeep Wranglers, Mustangs, Camaros, and Focus ST's. I hate sports cars actually, but when I see one of the other village idiots stalling a car repeatedly with the customer turning to look back and see why, I run up and basically carjack that valet and make him walk back to the podium.

b20ff65262334c32304528ceebeb60790243e5148855092c38e2c8475f9a45c0.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Pesca
Now I try to remember when I get a new car, for ne or a rental, to ask if there are special procedures for this car.
But what is special for me does not mean it is special for the rental guy, so who knows... :)

Pressing brake pedal on an automatic and clutch pedal on a manual has been pretty much standard practice here in North America for a few decades now.

not true

on both cars in my sig, neither the clutch nor brake needs to be depressed to start

In my younger years I took a summer job cutting grass at an oil refinery. After putting my weight into the clutch of that tired, old John Deere 10 hrs a day, I'd get in my little 5 speed ford ranger to head home in the evening and unnecessarily stomp a dent in the floor pan for the first few miles every day.
Btw- we got 6-8 2001-2002 Dodge Ram 1500's in our fleet at work. None require any brake to shift from park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back