Choice: Buick Encore vs. Nissan Rogue

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOLF-
I wonder what the cost difference is on a brake job Mercedes vs. Nissan?

If she wants a little luxo-CUV, Buick all the way. The 1.4T/6T40 is in a lot of other GM vehicles and the issues have been sorted out by now. Gas mileage is okay, and is generally better with mid grade or higher.

Most of the running gear is shared with the Sonic/Cruze, so there's a lot of knowledge and parts available to fix it if something breaks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
WOLF-
I wonder what the cost difference is on a brake job Mercedes vs. Nissan?

For the pads, probably about the same. Akebono makes pads that most people seem to like, low brake dust etc. A set of pads for my E350 from Advance Auto runs about $100 for front and rear. The rotors are more expensive though, more like around $100 each instead of the $30-$50 range on some American cars. Basically parts are about 2-3x more than American cars, but probably only 1-1.5x more than other foreign brands. And of course it's all top dollar at the dealer. But if you have the extended warranty, most things should be covered aside from maintenance items like brakes.

And I much prefer driving a Mercedes over a Nissan.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
The Buick has more cachet, like a poor mans Lexus these days. Nissans are more like shopping at Walmart.

Not even close.

^ I agree. I'd go with Nissan. Unless you like buying Daewoo's with a fancier badge and a premium price.

Originally Posted By: bourne
In that class CX-5 or Honda CR-V take the honors for best options. Subaru Forester is other good option.

You beat me to it
thumbsup2.gif
Best choices.

She might want to at least look at the Ford Escape too.

Having gone through the actual song and dance of finding a smaller/mid-size SUV, let me chime in:

Find what is absolutely necessary for your needs. In my case, I hated the local Toyota dealership, and the Honda CRV is a joke on boat ramps, so the "obvious" choices were gone.

I needed a reliable, reasonably efficient 4WD system, with four doors, automatic'ish, decent gas mileage, and fairly reliable, for under 30k out the door.

The last two discounted the Jeep's - poor reliability and hogs on gas, plus the 4WD that's reasonably decent isnt available until you've bought a rather high trim level.

GM wasn't much better.

Kia/Hyundai/Ford/Mazda both didn't have 4wd/AWD systems until you threshed the 30k budget.

That left Misubishi, and the RVR doesn't have a tow rating in Canada, so we bought the Outlander to tow our little 14' fishing boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back