pyb 5W20 or tgmo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use a full synthetic. Grade of oil is for you to decide. SN/GF5 is the minimal spec to shop for. Synthetic 0w20, 5w20, 0w30, 5w30... will all work fine.

With 0w20 synth, you still have to change the oil yearly regardless of miles. And, you should check and top off oil as needed.

How many miles do you drive a year?

Not sure why you want to cheap out on oil. Stick with synth and change it out whenever you want. You can afford it.

Just go with a 5k OCI using the cheapest 0W20 you can find at Walmart and call it a day, or keep an eye out for the NAPA Syn deal they have at NAPA once in a while ($3.49/qt).

Get two five quart jugs of M1 0w-20 EP, use the M1 rebate to get $12 back on each jug. Use each for 7,500-10,000 miles or up to 1 year.

You just got 15k-20k miles worth of oil changes for less than two PYB oil changes.

Use a quality 0W-20 synthetic under the Severe Maintenance Plan (due to short trips) to comply with warranty on your $55,000 vehicle.

I would use synthetic at 10k intervals especially for short trips.

Synthetic has vastly superior cold flow properties.

Toyota has conservative OCIs. Don't worry about it. You're over-thinking it.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
You drive many short trips and don't feel comfortable with 10k OCI even with synthetic 0W20, then you should stay with synthetic 0W20 and shorten OCI to whatever you feel comfortable with to keep new vehicle warranty. Or you can use M1 EP 0W20 with Fram Ultra oil filter and stay with 10k OCI for warranty.

I would not use conventional 5W20 with 5k OCI for warranty reason. Why spent more than $40k for the RX350 then try to save $10-15 a year on oil(equivalent to $1.50 a month which is about 1 cup of Starbuck a month).

This is good advice.

How many miles will this car accumulate in a year?
What I'm thinking is that you probably do some longer runs with it as well.
If the thought of 10K with short trips disturbs you, then you can always do shorter OCIs.
The cost of the recommended 0W-20 isn't all that great.
You can also get two really cheap changes if you register your new car on the Quaker State and Pennzoil sites.
You'll get MIRs of twenty bucks each for QSUD and PP, both of which are available in 0W-20.
I'd probably stay with the recommended grade for the duration of the warranty.
After that, you can try some other grades.
You already know that using something thicker won't hurt that Toyota V-6 at all.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
a cleaner oil than the all the others I've run/tried.

Hi ARCO,
I too am a Valvoline fan but 'cleaner', how so?

And see the ring lands
smile.gif
but NO sticky chain tensioner at startup and the VVT as seen through my oil fill is clean as a whistle. And neither Gas mileage nor power or cyl-cyl balance have not degraded at all - Still over 32MPG long term average above freezing ambient in the FORESTER.

Now that darn Rogue ... !

Ive thought about this lately too. My moms new 'Yoda 4runner also calls for 0w20, but a 5w20 can be used.. There isnt anything special about the engine so I imagine a conventional oil would work, but i am assuming Toyota wants their engines ran on synthetic.

The recommend interval is 10k, but of course the dealer put the first oil change at 5k on the window sticker.
smile.gif

I am probably just going to use 5w20 since thats what my dads truck needs too.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
i know it calls for 10k oil changes but i do a LOT of short trips!

not exactly. it calls for 10,000 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. with short trips you will not do 10,000 miles a year. problem solved. the system is designed to take this in account, you are just over-thinking.

as for the oil overfilling in 2GR-FE engine, it has to do with the fact that if you run this engine while cold for a short time and then you check the oil, it will read lower compared to the proper reading on the hot engine. somehow cold oil gets trapped in the valvetrain or maybe VVT. this is where the dealer grease monkeys get tripped. i figured it out myself after having oil overfilled too many times to be just a coincident.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: lexus114
i know it calls for 10k oil changes but i do a LOT of short trips!

not exactly. it calls for 10,000 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. with short trips you will not do 10,000 miles a year. problem solved. the system is designed to take this in account, you are just over-thinking.

as for the oil overfilling in 2GR-FE engine, it has to do with the fact that if you run this engine while cold for a short time and then you check the oil, it will read lower compared to the proper reading on the hot engine. somehow cold oil gets trapped in the valvetrain or maybe VVT. this is where the dealer grease monkeys get tripped. i figured it out myself after having oil overfilled too many times to be just a coincident.

so this happened to you too huh?

My 2011 LX570 owners manual calls for 0w20 oil/filter change every 5 k miles. My 2011 was built 9/11, 1/12 Lexus changed the owners manual to every 10k miles oil/filter change with 0w20. Talked with a master mechanic at my Lexus dealer he stated that the 5.7 liter engine did not change in anyway. He said it was a marketing move to compete with other manufactures on cost of maintance. I continue to change mine every 5k miles at the Lexus dealer using 0w20 synthetic oil and Toyota filter. The LX570 cost over $90k, why wouldn't I spend the $$ to take extra good care of my investment?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
You could go possibly 7K in your 570.
Over changing oil does not "protect your investment".

Since Lexus now recommends 10k I am sure I could go 10k. Are you saying with my warranty concerns Lexus would not give me a hard time if I went 7k miles?

The manufacture specifies a 5k interval for your car. Unless they updated that spec, I would continue to do what your'e doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back