Used an OCOD yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I went to the local orscheln farm store and they were having a big oil sale. I picked up my usually synpower 5w30 for $4.69 a QT and while I was there I wanted to get a filter as I really didn't want to drive across town to Walmart or AAP. The only filter they had that fit my Silverado was an Orange can, so I picked it up.

I installed it and 6 QT of synpower yesterday, I've used several orange cans in the past so I'm not worried, I just wanted to share that I put the Infamous OCOD on my beloved truck. I guess I could have done worse and put on a purolator classic! Lol
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Iv used Fram orange cans a few times never had a problem with them, I don't believe there bad filters and I don't care how many times people say cardboard end caps.

People want cheap they get cheap then complain its not top dollar quality. Nothing against Purolator but if it was Frams that where tearing there would be no end to the hatred of Fram. But since its Purolator it gets a pass for the most part.

I prefer Frams for our Lumina and Concorde, there is nothing wrong with them they work and perform well.

Your truck will never be the same. Don't be surprised if you drop your tranny and both headlights burn out. And that's just the beginning.

Originally Posted By: Poohbah
Your truck will never be the same. Don't be surprised if you drop your tranny and both headlights burn out. And that's just the beginning.

Thanks for the laugh!!

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Yesterday I went to the local orscheln farm store and they were having a big oil sale. I picked up my usually synpower 5w30 for $4.69 a QT and while I was there I wanted to get a filter as I really didn't want to drive across town to Walmart or AAP. The only filter they had that fit my Silverado was an Orange can, so I picked it up.

I installed it and 6 QT of synpower yesterday, I've used several orange cans in the past so I'm not worried, I just wanted to share that I put the Infamous OCOD on my beloved truck. I guess I could have done worse and put on a purolator classic! Lol
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

You must not love your truck that much! All that great oil with that subpar filter. Tisk tisk! I guess it will be fine for a 3k mile OCI.

I would not be one bit surprised if the Fram EG has higher efficiency than the Purolator or Wix equivalents.

I used them for many years before joining Bitog, w/o issue. I switched to Purolator after joining Bitog, but also used Mobil 1 filters as well. Now I use Fram TG, Fram Ultra, and Mobil 1 filters, no more Purolator filters for me. If they get their act together I might switch back, but for now no thanks Purolator.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I used them for many years before joining Bitog, w/o issue. I switched to Purolator after joining Bitog, but also used Mobil 1 filters as well. Now I use Fram TG, Fram Ultra, and Mobil 1 filters, no more Purolator filters for me. If they get their act together I might switch back, but for now no thanks Purolator.

Your experience is the same as mine.
I happily used Fram orange cans for years and switched to Purolator after discovering this site.
I'm using the Purolators I have on hand but won't be buying any more at any price until it's shown that Purolator has fixed the media tearing problem.
Meanwhile, the often hated on Frams seem to hold up pretty well in service.
I've recently gotten some TGs and UGs and even EGs for future use.
The Ultras were on sale BOGO 50% with an MIR while the TGs and EGs were on clearance at Lowe's at ridiculous prices.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Iv used Fram orange cans a few times never had a problem with them, I don't believe there bad filters and I don't care how many times people say cardboard end caps.

You forgot to mention the subpar black nitrile ADBV. If it isn't silicone, it never clasps my hand enroute to the cash register.
But the best ADBV is no ADBV. That's my PF61 AC Delco for my Colorado pickup.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: 3800Series

You forgot to mention the subpar black nitrile ADBV. If it isn't silicone, it never clasps my hand enroute to the cash register.
But the best ADBV is no ADBV. That's my PF61 AC Delco for my Colorado pickup.

A lot of people get caught up in adbv most engines the filter is vertical and screws into from the bottom and makes a adbv useless. My motorcycle and my Miata are the only things I have that are horizontal and they go over 1yr oci so on those I will always get silicone but the rest it dosent matter. It's funny a lot of people don't even know how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back