Bubbling/melting under molding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time ago, because I had some, I used lightweight bonding plaster (with vermiculite. IIRC it may also be called "browning", or that might be the next layer) to fill a hole in the front inner wing on a Morris Marina (1930's British components held together temporarily with a series of Italianate rust-traps. Loved that car) to give me backing for a fibreglass patch.

Worked really well, much easier and cheaper than "bondo" or equivalent. Would probably absorb more moisture but sprayed with oil it didn't seem to. If I was using it again I might try mixing vegetable oil in with it, though that might stop it sticking.

Later, because I was in the (British) Army Reserve and they let me use the gas welder, I welded up the rotted out box sections. Super-strong job, quite satisfying experience, but a much bigger waste of time since something else killed the car a year or so later.

Don't bother with "proper" repairs unless you're committing to a full restoration.

I'd JB weld the trim piece back on, tape it in place until it dries and just drive the car until it falls apart. It's a 14 year old car living in the Salt Belt. This is why we are amazed at rust free southern cars in junk yards while the ones on our roads look like this.
frown.gif

don't waste your time fixing it. It will just pop up elsewhere. Its a 14 yr old car, just drive till it dies or rusts away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back