Aisin ATF WS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Save your money and upgrade to a higher quality synthetic ATF like MaxLife (Low Viscosity) ATF for $16.97 per gallon at Walmart. It meets Toyota's WS spec and has a good track record, as reported by forum members who are pleased with MaxLife's positive results.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
You have my dream SUV.

If you are serious, you really need to dream bigger.

WalMart Supertech Dexron-VI meets the Toyota WS spec. I've used it for years in my Toyotas.

I guess I need to catch up with this WS stuff because I thought it was a Toyota spec item. If it is just a matter of getting something that is rated "WS", I guess I will take a trip to Walmart tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
WalMart Supertech Dexron-VI meets the Toyota WS spec. I've used it for years in my Toyotas.

Great point! Dex VI and MaxLife ATF are both underrated IMHO.

Eric the Car Guy of Youtube fame used Maxlife ATF in a 4Runner of the same vintage as yours (they all have the same A340f trans afaik), with good results.

He still works on the same truck regularly and hasn't mentioned any problems related to the transmission.

Originally Posted By: NeilC
I guess I need to catch up with this WS stuff because I thought it was a Toyota spec item. If it is just a matter of getting something that is rated "WS", I guess I will take a trip to Walmart tomorrow.

Maxlife. I used it in my old Tacoma. A+

You will not regret the MaxLife. A friend's 06 4runner was slipping at 58k on his fill with WS. We drained it and replaced it with ML and it shifts vastly better now. I use it in our Lexus and it's way smoother than it ever way with WS, even with high miles on it now.

The only concern I have is that it appears this stuff works on everything.

"Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required."

If that is true and it is one fluid to rule them all, what is the point of having all of the different specifications? All of the different change intervals? It almost seems too good to be true. With the WS claimed as a ultra long interval fluid with a very low vis designed specifically for sealed transmissions, how does a fluid that claims to replace that replace all of the other fluids listed, some of them designed for transmissions made 50 plus years ago? Are all of the different manufacturers specifications just one big scam to keep you buying their "special" fluid?

If you want WS, Carquest sells it for about $8 and change. I have also ordered it online from a Toyota dealer in Kalamazoo for about the same price per quart including shipping.

I do need to make a decision about an aftermarket fluid one of these days.

Originally Posted By: NeilC
The only concern I have is that it appears this stuff works on everything.

"Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required."

If that is true and it is one fluid to rule them all, what is the point of having all of the different specifications? All of the different change intervals? It almost seems too good to be true. With the WS claimed as a ultra long interval fluid with a very low vis designed specifically for sealed transmissions, how does a fluid that claims to replace that replace all of the other fluids listed, some of them designed for transmissions made 50 plus years ago? Are all of the different manufacturers specifications just one big scam to keep you buying their "special" fluid?

Read carefully, "recommended for use" does not say that it meets the specifications. Recommended by who? Presumably recommended by the people that are selling it!
Do you believe in Santa and fairies too?
laugh.gif

I've had MaxLife in my 4Runner for 30k+ miles. I did a complete drain and fill using the cooler lines.

I also run MaxLife in my Suburban. I put it in my buddy's '05 Trailblazer after I R&R'd its 4l60e after a rebuild (5 months, 15k miles ago). I also have put it in my mother's 2500HD Silverado (4l80e) and her '06 Highlander.

I find it to be a great value.

For those that run MaxLife, how often do you do drain and fills, which is what I call the 3-4 quart pan drain. Also for those that are doing the cooler "complete drain" how are you doing it and how often are you doing that?

I did the "complete drain" at 85k miles on my 4Runner. The factory fill was still in it. To accomplish this, you just pull a cooler line, hook a hose up to it, and start the vehicle. Let it run until it just starts to gurgle out the hose. Measure how much came out and refill. Continue this until the fluid comes out bright red. 3 or 4 gallons should do it. There are writeups on the internet on how to do this on the 4Runner/Tacoma/FJ.

20k pan drains since.

The transmission on the 4R doesn't have a dipstick, and it's kind of a pain to fill. It's not a large hole, so you're limited in hose size to refill with, which slows down the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back