White Cans of Death - torn pleat, ADBV failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kd5byb
Mannocycline?

Napacetamide?

Sorry...combining antibiotics with filter manufacturers just struck me as hilarious there for a few minutes.

I think I'm okay now.

Hahaha, good job. It is fun isnt it?
cool.gif

i think the only purolator classic i'm running at the moment is on my 4wheeler, same size as the OP post, i guess I'll have to cut it open when i change the oil on it later this year.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Dont be surprised when it is fully intact and not torn like all the mass hysteria would like you to believe!!

Dood. Give it up already. The verdict is already in.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Date code is 4/10/2014, so not real new stock, so not a surprise. Yep, wide spaced pleats + brittle media = high risk of tears.

I recently cut open another Bosch 3330. I cut into the media with the hack saw so couldn't verify tearing properly ... but again, weak WEAK media @ 9K KM's. It tears with little force.

I haven't changed my mind - no way will I trust these filters (Bosch / Purolator) and am mad that they are tearing while in regular service intervals.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Anything over 3k and you have to upgrade to the synthetic filter.

I'm not convinced... I believe these filters can pinch a loaf at any mileage.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Anything over 3k and you have to upgrade to the synthetic filter.

I'm not convinced... I believe these filters can pinch a loaf at any mileage.

It was supposed to be humor, but I am afraid you are right. Lol.

I believe these filters can pinch a loaf at any mileage.

I'm curious as to the meaning of "pinch a loaf" in this context. I'm familiar with this phrase when used in context of a common everyday activity...but oil filters? Uhhh...nope.

Does "pinch a loaf" in this context mean "buy the farm?" Or the opposite...that one can expect a non-synth filter to go past 3k?

IMO...before the recent string of bad Purolator's...I had no issues with a plain 'ole Puro classic going 5k miles or more with no rips, no drips, or errors.

(Side note: apology to Kryon..."no runs, no drips, no errors." In that same vein..."When E.F. Hutton talks...people change the channel." baaa haa haa!!! Whatever happened to EF Hutton? Did they merge with Lehman Brothers before Lehman Brothers became the BANK OF EVIL in Despicable Me?)

(Side side note: yes, I'm close to being certifiably insane.)

35.gif

-b

Originally Posted By: kd5byb
I believe these filters can pinch a loaf at any mileage.

I'm curious as to the meaning of "pinch a loaf" in this context. I'm familiar with this phrase when used in context of a common everyday activity...but oil filters? Uhhh...nope.

Does "pinch a loaf" in this context mean "buy the farm?" Or the opposite...that one can expect a non-synth filter to go past 3k?

IMO...before the recent string of bad Purolator's...I had no issues with a plain 'ole Puro classic going 5k miles or more with no rips, no drips, or errors.

(Side note: apology to Kryon..."no runs, no drips, no errors." In that same vein..."When E.F. Hutton talks...people change the channel." baaa haa haa!!! Whatever happened to EF Hutton? Did they merge with Lehman Brothers before Lehman Brothers became the BANK OF EVIL in Despicable Me?)

(Side side note: yes, I'm close to being certifiably insane.)

35.gif

-b

lol

it's the non-vulgar translation of "[censored] a brick".

lol

it's the non-vulgar translation of "[censored] a brick".

I'm glad someone gets my demented humor.
wink.gif
Roger on the meaning in this context. I'd have to agree. I see nothing magical about 3k. If it can tear at 3k, I cannot see why it wouldn't tear earlier or later...

thanks,
ben

As an aside to the conversation, I was at my local Walmart the other day to pick up some oil and filters. A few months ago Purolator filters held the dominant shelf position between waist and eye level. Now, they've been relegated to a single bottom shelf at about ankle level, and Fram filters have taken over their former prime real estate position.

While this was at a single store in Fairfield California, if it becomes a trend nation wide it's going to have a significant negative impact on Purolator's market share.

An apt location for a bottom shelf filter.

Said it before, and I'll say it again. I cut open an OCOD after 6000 miles, performed my worst cut ever, and was unable to physically tear the media with my fingers. Even a screwdriver didn't penetrant, using moderate force.

Any filter that can't match up to Fram's worst, really should be re-engineered at this point.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
An apt location for a bottom shelf filter.

Said it before, and I'll say it again. I cut open an OCOD after 6000 miles, performed my worst cut ever, and was unable to physically tear the media with my fingers. Even a screwdriver didn't penetrant, using moderate force.

Any filter that can't match up to Fram's worst, really should be re-engineered at this point.

Exactly. Media strength is an important variable... often overlooked in favor of those amazing "metal end caps".

Exactly. Media strength is an important variable... often overlooked in favor of those amazing "metal end caps".

Agreed. On the two filters I cut open that started this thread, it was very easy to tear the media. The media was brittle. That shocked me.

Like I've said several times, I used to buy more Puro's than any other filter, so I'm not shilling for Fram...

thanks,
ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back