Gear Oil or Motor Oil Sportster questions.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a very rudimentary understanding of lubrication. So if y'all get tired of dumb questions, just tell me to go back to reading.

What is the reasoning of using 75W90 gear oil instead of a 20W50 motorcycle engine oil in a Sportster Primary? Both flow about the same correct? Is it just the fact of the superior shear resistance of a gear oil? Why wouldn't a 20W60 motorcycle oil be thrown into the equation? Especially for the fellows that believe only in engine oil but, worry about heat and viscosity? Drag would not be that much different would it? I've read post of many running 15w40, why not a 20W60?

I'm just trying to understand. I have two Sportster's and I'm going to show a friend how to change fluids soon.

You can run all kinds of oils in the primary. In my 04 Electra Glide I run type F ATF. Gives me great lubrication and my clutch never worked better.

Last edited:
The Sportster has just two oil cavities, one for the engine and one for the primary/clutch and transmission combined.

The transmission is why some people use a diff lube or transmission lube in the Sportster primary. A 75w-90 gear lube viscosity is close to a 50 weight motor oil, they are measured on a different scale - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

Harley's Formula+ lube they suggest for the Sportster primary is about the same viscosity as a 20w-50 motor oil. Harley also says you can run their SYN3 motor oil in the Sportster primary.

The Big Twin bikes have three oi cavities, one for the primary chain / clutch, one for the transmission and one for the engine.

Last edited:
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-...y-answered.html

Here is Red Lines official response -

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in the shared Sportster primary/transmission the 75W90 is recommended, a product that has been used extensively and performs well.

The 75W90 is the product we have have used for a number of years with very good results in Sportster/Buell transmissions, matching the viscosity and type fluid called for.
The 80W Motorcycle Gear Oil is a lower viscosity than called for, the ShockProof gear oils can due to their unique characteristics could cause sticking of the Harley clutches.
The 75W90 would be preferred and recommended over 80W Motorcycle Gear Oil in these applications.

There can be issues with some GL-5 gear oils in certain applications. Some can be corrosive to brass, bronze or copper, not an issue with our GL-5 gear oils, they don’t cause corrosion, pitting or metal removal. In a synchro equipped transmission the friction modifiers contained in many gear oils can make them too slippery, though not the case in a motorcycle transmission with dog rings.

So if you want the right viscosity and dont want to worry about it damaging anything, go with Redline http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=133&pcid=4

Originally Posted By: Bushshaker
I have a very rudimentary understanding of lubrication. So if y'all get tired of dumb questions, just tell me to go back to reading.

What is the reasoning of using 75W90 gear oil instead of a 20W50 motorcycle engine oil in a Sportster Primary? Both flow about the same correct? Is it just the fact of the superior shear resistance of a gear oil? Why wouldn't a 20W60 motorcycle oil be thrown into the equation? Especially for the fellows that believe only in engine oil but, worry about heat and viscosity? Drag would not be that much different would it? I've read post of many running 15w40, why not a 20W60?

I'm just trying to understand. I have two Sportster's and I'm going to show a friend how to change fluids soon.

Very smart question and I will post an opposing view. I cant understand for the life of me why people put gear oil in their transmissions. Well yes, I can understand but the thinking is entirely incorrect. They say, well, duh, there are gears in the transmission so why would you use motor oil?
Ok, well here is why,
Gear oil is made for differentials gear boxes, its a brutal corrosive oil made to be able to handle extreme pressures of sliding gears in differentials, it was never meant to be used in automobile or truck transmissions and motorcycle transmissions as this super gear lube COULD attack soft metals such as the synchro's or any soft "gold" "brass" metals, furthermore this oil also attacks the transmission seals as well. Ever wonder why EVERY car differential with rear wheel drive used to have oil all around the rear diff cover?

Up until the last decade or so almost EVERY manual transmission car NEVER recommended a gear lube, it was plain old motor oil Now they are into a mix of everything as well as their own branding of "secret formulas to sell oil. (like harley)

With this said, without question the new modern day version of these gear lubes have been GREATLY tamed, science has come such a long way and by using a gear lube in your motorcycle most likely will not harm it but one thing for sure, IT CERTAINLY WILL NOT BE BETTER FOR IT.

Your bike (and still most cars) call for motor oil in your transmission for a reason, the transmission requires a GL1 MOTOR oil NOT a GL4 or 5 GEAR lube.
The subject is completely blown out of context by people thinking using a gear lube is proper because a transmission has gears, this is completely wrong.

Again, it most likely will not harm anything but it certainly is not better then motor oil. Some people have issues with their transmissions and chose gear oil on that basis and that is fine if one wants to go that route.
The motor companies know your bike best, not people in these forums. The oil companies know second best and two of the most used in these forums also recommend motor oil in your motorcycle transmission as a first choice, gear oil as a second. Amsoil and Mobile 1.
You can bet they only do that as a second because they dont want to turn off those buying their gear oil for their motorcycle transmissions.

IN fact, read Red Lines response above this post, confirms everything I am typing of course "not their product" Yeah ok, by why even bother??
Why not use what the motor company requires and NOT what some oil company who wants to sell you a product says?

Last edited:
While I am at it ... ha ha ...

While people think protecting gears are important, simply look at Amsoils own motor oil test that show how GOOD almost EVERY MOTOR OIL they test does protecting gears, page 15 of Study of Motorcycle oils.
Those same people forget about all the bearings in their transmissions and motor oil protects them best, its important for oil to easily flow in and around the bearings so they run cooler. Instead of thick gear lube not flowing fast enough the bearings cook or super heat, most likely no harm but they do come out of transmissions in motorcycles a deep dark color vs people who use motor oil ... again, will it harm it ?, most maybe likely not, but your bearings will be protected better with motor oil, Amsoil knows this, Mobile 1 knows this and your motor company knows this. Its why they recommend motor oil.

One more thing, some use a 80/140 type gear lube because it makes the transmission nice and quiet and shifting so pleasant. Even though the motor company recommended a 20/50 motor oil for a reason.
Yeah, nice and quiet is great but if it was best for the transmissions long life the motor company could easily use it and have nice quiet transmissions.
Same analogy, we could also put 60 or 70 weight oil in the engine, have super quiet engines, great idea but you'll be overheating those bearings as that oil slowly circulates around them. ... hmmm ...

Last edited:
97 1200XL Sportster
I been using Amsoil 20/50 for some years, both holes.
Down to the last of the stash - I'll try VR1 20/50 conventional when the Amsoil stash goes dry.
I just use the same oil in both holes.

Quote:
The motor companies know your bike best, not people in these forums. The oil companies know second best and two of the most used in these forums also recommend motor oil in your motorcycle transmission as a first choice, gear oil as a second. Amsoil and Mobile 1.
You can bet they only do that as a second because they dont want to turn off those buying their gear oil for their motorcycle transmissions.

Call Amsoil Tech line. They recommend the 20w-50 engine oil because that's what Harley recommends. Not because it's better than the gear oil..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

While people think protecting gears are important, simply look at Amsoils own motor oil test that show how GOOD almost EVERY MOTOR OIL they test does protecting gears, page 15 of Study of Motorcycle oils.
Those same people forget about all the bearings in their transmissions and motor oil protects them best, its important for oil to easily flow in and around the bearings so they run cooler. Instead of thick gear lube not flowing fast enough the bearings cook or super heat, most likely no harm but they do come out of transmissions in motorcycles a deep dark color vs people who use motor oil ... again, will it harm it ?, most maybe likely not, but your bearings will be protected better with motor oil, Amsoil knows this, Mobile 1 knows this and your motor company knows this. Its why they recommend motor oil.

One more thing, some use a 80/140 type gear lube because it makes the transmission nice and quiet and shifting so pleasant. Even though the motor company recommended a 20/50 motor oil for a reason.
Yeah, nice and quiet is great but if it was best for the transmissions long life the motor company could easily use it and have nice quiet transmissions.
Same analogy, we could also put 60 or 70 weight oil in the engine, have super quiet engines, great idea but you'll be overheating those bearings as that oil slowly circulates around them. ... hmmm ...

I keep seeing the word flow here which puzzles me considering the tranny sits in an oil bath and really doesn't flow at all. And if that's the case a thicker more sticky gear oil would be a better choice considering how it operates.

And oil companies tow the manufacturers line. Fir example Amsoil's site just parrots what harley says. Redline might be different.

I don't have a sporty. I've hit a big twin and therefore 3 holes and my tranny performs far better using gear oil than 20w-50. I use rotella in my primary and in the engine this past season and I'm using rotella over the Amsoil I've got dirtying in a case.
Ultimately you can't go wrong following the manufacturers recommendations however if you've got a mind that works consider the mechanical operation of the machine and decide if it's optimal in your application.
Engine oil has and additive package that does many things,none of which are shared by a transmission and when you consider a motorcycle transmission is more consistent with a differential and gears meshing it's very possible that a gear oil is more optimal and the additive package better suited.
I'm just suggesting that one thinks for himself and considers the whole package and makes a choice based on that.

Thanks, I'm really enjoying this thread. Y'all have gave me lots of information and thoughts to ponder especially my neighbor from SC. I have and continue to experiment with different oils in my forty-eight. This Sortster has a noise primary but, is mechanically sound, well at least we can detrimine anyway. Unfortunately I have an ear for noise, when others say they can't hear anything. I've been keeping notes on my thoughts about what I've tried. I still have a few things I want to try. I may post my thoughts in the near future but, that is all it would be. No data to support my beliefs in feel, function, and sound of the bike. I just don't want to start an oil war.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bushshaker

Very smart question and I will post an opposing view. I cant understand for the life of me why people put gear oil in their transmissions. Well yes, I can understand but the thinking is entirely incorrect. They say, well, duh, there are gears in the transmission so why would you use motor oil?
Ok, well here is why,
Gear oil is made for differentials gear boxes, its a brutal corrosive oil made to be able to handle extreme pressures of sliding gears in differentials, it was never meant to be used in automobile or truck transmissions and motorcycle transmissions as this super gear lube COULD attack soft metals such as the synchro's or any soft "gold" "brass" metals, furthermore this oil also attacks the transmission seals as well. Ever wonder why EVERY car differential with rear wheel drive used to have oil all around the rear diff cover?

Because it is probably the most-neglected thing on the vehicle! How many vehicles have 100,000+ miles on the original gear lube?

Quote:
Up until the last decade or so almost EVERY manual transmission car NEVER recommended a gear lube, it was plain old motor oil Now they are into a mix of everything as well as their own branding of "secret formulas to sell oil. (like harley)

Many transmissions called for gear oil...the contrary, in fact: transmissions recommending anything ELSE was unusual until the late 1980's. As I recall, the transmission and transfer case in my last F-350 BOTH called for gear oil. I know the big Spicer 5-speed in my B700 called for gear oil. The final drive on my wife's Pacific Coast calls for (according to Honda) 80W90.

Quote:
With this said, without question the new modern day version of these gear lubes have been GREATLY tamed, science has come such a long way and by using a gear lube in your motorcycle most likely will not harm it but one thing for sure, IT CERTAINLY WILL NOT BE BETTER FOR IT.

Your bike (and still most cars) call for motor oil in your transmission for a reason, the transmission requires a GL1 MOTOR oil NOT a GL4 or 5 GEAR lube.
The subject is completely blown out of context by people thinking using a gear lube is proper because a transmission has gears, this is completely wrong.

Again, it most likely will not harm anything but it certainly is not better then motor oil. Some people have issues with their transmissions and chose gear oil on that basis and that is fine if one wants to go that route.

IN fact, read Red Lines response above this post, confirms everything I am typing of course "not their product" Yeah ok, by why even bother??
Why not use what the motor company requires and NOT what some oil company who wants to sell you a product says?

Some call for gear oil...some call for motor oil. Many modern car & truck transmissions have called for ATF since the 80's.

Up until the last decade or so almost EVERY manual transmission car NEVER recommended a gear lube, it was plain old motor oil

Er...this is not true.

EDIT: I see someone else already said that. Er..+1 then. ENDEDIT

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy

I keep seeing the word flow here which puzzles me considering the tranny sits in an oil bath and really doesn't flow at all. And if that's the case a thicker more sticky gear oil would be a better choice considering how it operates.

And oil companies tow the manufacturers line. Fir example Amsoil's site just parrots what harley says. Redline might be different.

I don't have a sporty. I've hit a big twin and therefore 3 holes and my tranny performs far better using gear oil than 20w-50. I use rotella in my primary and in the engine this past season and I'm using rotella over the Amsoil I've got dirtying in a case.
Ultimately you can't go wrong following the manufacturers recommendations however if you've got a mind that works consider the mechanical operation of the machine and decide if it's optimal in your application.
Engine oil has and additive package that does many things,none of which are shared by a transmission and when you consider a motorcycle transmission is more consistent with a differential and gears meshing it's very possible that a gear oil is more optimal and the additive package better suited.
I'm just suggesting that one thinks for himself and considers the whole package and makes a choice based on that.
I agree with Clevy 100%. I know this has been beat to death in this post, but there seems to be real misunderstanding on how Harley motors lubricate themselves. Modern Harley's as well as older Harley's rely on a low pressure high volume dry sump systems for their motors. That's because of the type of bearing used in them. Mostly Roller type over babett type.They don't need high pressure to do their job, so pretty much any weight oil will give sufficient lubrication.5-7 pounds at idle is fine, and 35-40 at 2500 rpms or higher gives enough flow to satisfy it's bearings. Has anyone wondered with so many motorcycle specific oils on the market, ones that were designed with Harley's usage in mind, why Harley would recommend a Diesel oil be used if Harley's oil wasn't available?. Last time I checked Harley doesn't make a diesel motor, so why wouldn't they recommend Amsoil, or Redline, or Valvoline, or Mobil 1 V-twin oil? Just that one point, makes me wonder what they are trying to pull recommending what they do. On to transmissions.There is no oil pump in either Big Twins trans, or in Sportster primary/transmissions. They rely on a splash system for lubrication. It can't get more simple then that. Harley still recommends their SYN III oil or their primay oil for transmission oil use. Their primary oil is plain 50 wt oil with very little additives, and SYN III really seems like the wrong stuff to put in a Harley transmission. It's almost scary to hear a brand new bike whine or bang into gear, mostly because of what the ever knowing factory feels is the "proper" lubricant. Hot motor oil's film is super thin when it gets hot, so being sheared out of grade is a real possibility in your transmission. Gear oil is made for use in transmissions and rear ends where it's job is to lubricate gears and bearings.The exact same things found in a Harley transmission. It's weight is approximately the same as the oil Harley calls for, but doesn't have ingredients that are not needed, necessary, or helpful. Like whats needed in a diesel motor doesn't do squat for a Harley motor. Just like you wouldn't use gear oil in your motor, why would you use motor oil in a transmission?. There are better lube choices available outside the dealers showroom. I've never heard anyone say they like the winning noise their transmission makes, or the bang their bike makes when going into first gear adds to riding experience. When a simple brand of oil change can cure both.,,,

Something I didn't see mentioned so for, some GL5 Diff lubes also are suggested for MT-1 applications. Red Line lists MT-1 applications on 75w-90. Amsoil and Mobil 1 75w-90 ls do not mention MT-1.

MT-1 is for non syncro manual transmissions-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_oil
API Category MT-1 designates lubricants intended for non-synchronized manual transmissions used in buses and heavy-duty trucks. Lubricants meeting API MT-1 provide protection against the combination of thermal degradation, component wear, and oil seal deterioration which is not provided by lubricants meeting only the requirements of API GL-4 and API GL-5.

Alarmguy is full opinions but he has no personal facts to back them up. He says to use what Harley recommends for transmissions. Well from what the experts say Formuls + is nothing but gear oil. It smells just like gear oil. Its minersl oil with very little additives. It is the same weight as 75W90 gear oil. So if Harley recommends gear oil for transmissions why not get the best gear oil money can buy. Buy the way there are many Sportster riders who have 100K on their bikes usung 75W90 with no ill effects. Works for me. And the Red Line tect recommends it. They did test on it in the Sportster transmission with good results acording to the email he sent me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rossn2
Quote:

Call Amsoil Tech line. They recommend the 20w-50 engine oil because that's what Harley recommends. Not because it's better than the gear oil..

and thats ok, I think the question is, why? If you buy a new car or old car would you still be answering this? If Honda tells you to use 10/30 oil in your manual transmission Honda Accord are you going to use gear oil? If Honda thought gear oil was better, why wouldnt they just says gear oil? (dont answer that please *L*)
I understand some would and thats fine, like I said it most likely wouldnt make a difference, Im just unsure why with motorcycles some people are more likely to use fluids not recommended thinking those fluids are better and the maker of the product knows nothing.

The maker knows how to get your money with a cheap product because it knows there are many who will buy it just because it says harley Davidson on it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._Cha#Post926039

Harley Davidson FORMULA+ Trans and Primary Chaincase VOA

(Mini VOA via Amsoil)

Petroleum based.

Ca 169
P 230
B 210
S - some
Zn - essentially none
No other elemental additives.

Vis. within SAE 50 range.

Listed as a GL-1, does test out as a GL-3.

Harley owners may be better served by using a lube that meets GL-4 requirements and has more P and Zn, and a basestock resistant to shear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy

As you can see in my post above this one to Rossi my thinking so will keep it short, nice civil discussion too .. my my response is the same as to Rossi above.
But in answer to the part in your post about "flow" I could be wrong on this and it doesnt matter I am just posting what I think is one of many reasons makers of automobiles and motorcycles state what fluids to use.
Bearings in transmissions to not get oil pumped to them, they are bathed and splashed in oil, when some heavy gear oils are cold the gear oil can be thick enough were as the bearings are actually the ones that are heating up the gear lube as there is no heat source in a transmission, this can take a while for the fluid to warm, during this time the gear lube is being super heated by the bearings in the race and slowly flowing out to the colder fluid, it can take some time for the gear lube to easily flow around the bearings as the lube in the bears
ings is super hot but outside the bearing is super cold and slow to flow.
I am saying this based on what I heard as described as a long time Harley mechanic who saves the bearings from transmissions he works on and states almost every
time he does, the bearings of transmissions using gear lube are always brown to black. He further stated, he HAS NO idea if it means anything bad other then they always come out dark in color and he knows that is from heat.
I could be wrong in this too, but I think most tranny problems are with bearings and seals.
But I guess no matter what, anyone can use what they want I just think and know the reasons for doing so are not the right ones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rossn2
Quote:

and thats ok, I think the question is, why? If you buy a new car or old car would you still be answering this? If Honda tells you to use 10/30 oil in your manual transmission Honda Accord are you going to use gear oil? If Honda thought gear oil was better, why wouldnt they just says gear oil? (dont answer that please *L*)
I understand some would and thats fine, like I said it most likely wouldnt make a difference, Im just unsure why with motorcycles some people are more likely to use fluids not recommended thinking those fluids are better and the maker of the product knows nothing.
Could it be they actually found products that work better? Like a transmission oil that doesn't make the transmission sound like there's no oil in it? Or primary oil that doesn't make the clutch plates grabby, that causes that pleasant BANG when you put your $25,000 motorcycle in first gear?.And when people venture outside the showroom of the people that "sell and recommend" what Harley buys from the lowest bidder,you find happier owners. Did you ever wonder why Harley dealers use scare tactics to sell extended warranty's?. They would loose a fortune if motors and transmissions didn't fail by not using their cut rate products at jewelry store prices.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back