WARNING STAY CLEAR OF SEARS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work there. At my shop we ran out of our 0w20, told the manager, and I quote "valvoline tested 5w30 and found it will do anything 0w20 can." Don't know if it's true or not but that's what he was told by the DM

In short... Doesn't matter if the vehicle specs a 20 or not... Everything's getting 5w30.

I don't know if it's company wide, but that's what my store is doing. I don't agree with it but I really don't have a say in the matter.

A lot of places do that. The dealership I bought my Scion from does the same thing and it had 5w-30 in it when I got it instead of 0w-20. I may end up going back to 5w-30 anyways as it consumed less.

Whats concerning is 0W20 is a synthetic and I'm sure they are charging for a synthetic oil change, yet are using bulk conventional 5W30 instead.

If they are using full synthetic 5W20 or 5W30 instead when they run out of 0W20, that would almost be acceptable.

Probably happens thousands of times every day across the country, unfortunately.

Quest, it's bull [censored]. I treat every customer car as if it were my own, with care, respect, and pride. Leaves an awful pit in my stomach.... It's a violation of trust

And I absolutely do NOT use bulk conventional when a customer lays for synthetic FYI. We have 55 gallon drums of it, labeled, there's no confusion

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Anyone who's reading this board isn't going to sears for an oil change.

Although to be fair, the same [censored] statement comes from Amsoil too on their "smartsynthetics.com" site, yet nobody says "stay away from Amsoil".
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/5w20oil.htm

I say "Stay away from AmSoil" to anyone who will listen. Though, not many people listen. So there is that.......

A lot of chain shops and stealerships do that. Not saying it's right but sadly just the way it is. The majority of people don't even know what grade oil their car requires and assume the oil change place will put in the right stuff. Sad such shops violate the customer's trust (and warranties).

Another reason to change the oil yourself if possible.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Originally Posted By: raytseng
Anyone who's reading this board isn't going to sears for an oil change.

Although to be fair, the same [censored] statement comes from Amsoil too on their "smartsynthetics.com" site, yet nobody says "stay away from Amsoil".
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/5w20oil.htm

That's not an AMSOIL site but rather a dealer of AMSOIL.

fair point, but it's been up for years and has amsoil plastered all over it, so it represents them by proxy.
If you apply the same logic, can you make the same logical statement that therefor "Sears" corporate should not take any responsibilities for their individual "sears" stores; because humans are smart enough to discern between sears stores and that an experience from one won;t sour the entire brand.

For the most part it's true API SN 5w30 can be used in place of API SN 0w20 but the 5w30 can't do everything the 0w20 can exactly. For one the 5w30 is most likely bulk conventional which means if a person runs the factory 10k oci, the TBN could be totally shot and oxidation occurring. Also the 5w30 won't pump at - 40C like the 0w20, although that doesn't apply to most people.

Facts are it will work but it's not the same.

In this case, the guy was probably right in that a 5W-30 would do no harm to an engine for which a 0W-20 is recommended.
However, to use a grade other than the one recommended without telling the owner of this is dishonest.
To have put "0W-20" on an invoice for a service in which 5W-30 is actually used is fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back