Need a good serpentine belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Tundra 4.7 V8
226,000 miles.
Original owner.

Serpentine belts used to last about 10-15,000 miles for me. Then they would start to crack and get a little dry. But most annoyingly they'd chirp while warming up, especially chilly mornings.

I've replaced them with Gates, genuine Toyota, and Napa (which if memory serves was a Gates) and they'd all last 10-15K miles.

Then I tried a Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt.
I put it on in 6 years ago, in April 2009.
69,000 miles later, it still looks good and not a peep out of it.

Just wanted to pass along my experience and recommendation.

Originally Posted By: beechcraftted
Dayco states their Poly-W belt is good for 70,000 to 100,000 miles.

These are what I've used. Never had a problem. But I don't have anywhere near 70-100k miles on them though. Maybe 15k.

Originally Posted By: KzMitch
Serpentine belts used to last about 10-15,000 miles for me. Then they would start to crack and get a little dry. But most annoyingly they'd chirp while warming up, especially chilly mornings.

Speaking of chirps. I had a 3.4 in a Grand Am that had this chirping that sounded like it was coming from the PS pulley. Replaced the pulley, the pump, and the belt. Still chirped. Oh was I mad! What made me even angrier was that the only problem the whole time was that the pulley wasn't pressed far enough on the pump so it was out of alignment with the other pulleys. Once I pressed it in a little more, no more chip. $250 in parts for nothing.

I had a Subaru WRX I bought new and sold with 136K on it. It had the original Mitsuboshi belts on it when I sold it.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Goodyear Gatorback.

Have them on multiple cars and +1 from me.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Originally Posted By: Donald
Goodyear Gatorback.

Have them on multiple cars and +1 from me.

I have used those before as well. Very quiet and long lasting with my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: beechcraftted
Dayco states their Poly-W belt is good for 70,000 to 100,000 miles.

Its a good belt, much quieter than the Gatorback also. I don't like the Gatorback very much, its too loud. I still have one for a spare i took of after 1K, that was the last one i ever bought.
Bando and Mitsuboshi are also good belts, i prefer them on Japanese stuff.

I just pulled a Continental belt off my Audi with at least 60k kms thinking it needed changing as I had never done it, after removing it I noticed it looked like it was in excellent shape, its on the shelf in the garage as a spare now

2000 Tundra 4.7 V8
226,000 miles.
Original owner.

I've replaced them with Gates, genuine Toyota, and Napa (which if memory serves was a Gates) and they'd all last 10-15K miles.

There is something wrong with this truck. Its either got a bad pulley, misaligned pulleys, a bad tensioner or the belt is not being adjusted after initial break in.
Every one of those belts is a good one, there is no way in hades they are going bad in 10-15K without something being wrong.

Originally Posted By: Trav
2000 Tundra 4.7 V8
226,000 miles.
Original owner.

There is something wrong with this truck. Its either got a bad pulley, misaligned pulleys, a bad tensioner or the belt is not being adjusted after initial break in.
Every one of those belts is a good one, there is no way in hades they are going bad in 10-15K without something being wrong.

Well as much fun as it sounds to chase pulleys, tensioners, alignments, etc.; I'll just leave the Gatorback on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back