Shell has new GF6 oils planned for 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALS

A buddy of mine Wayne Gerdes just posted this on his board.

Quote:
I was sitting in on a transportation sustainability seminar at the Shell Eco-marathon last week and was introduced to some very high end scientists doing work on both fuels and lubricants.
The first Shell speaker was discussing the company's advanced bio-fuels without today's negative mileage and emission controls effects.

A mention of an all-new Shell V-Power + fuel was also shown but it appeared to be more marketing differentiation than anything new.

A bombshell came from the Lubricant scientist/manager however. Shell is readying a whole line of all-new upcoming GF-6 oils in 0W-8, 12 and 16 weights for the 2017 and future engines being developed by the OEMs. Sorry I have no no pics or more details but when they come, we'll report on them.

Last edited:
For those that had trouble adopting 0w-20 engine oil, acceptance of this next series should be interesting.

When a service writer at a new car dealer makes a statement about using 5W-30 in place of the specified 0W-20 like, well we have "local knowledge", what will they say now?

Maybe they will have to label these now oils, "Apple", "Orange" and "Peach" so they won't scare the self proclaimed experts with labels like 0W-8 or 0W-16.

What may be lost in this transition is that these new oils might be formulated with better base stocks and improved additive packages for new and improved engines and that could make direct comparisons difficult at best.

Key words indicate what this is ALL about:

sustainability
Eco-marathon

This is all coming from the same group of bureaucrats that is constantly trying to force people out of their cars and onto mass transit.

No thanks.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
For those that had trouble adopting 0w-20 engine oil, acceptance of this next series should be interesting.
To say the least!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
To say the least!
cheers3.gif

It will keep discussion fresh...
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back