So, what the brightest ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking at replacing my high beams.. Id hate to buy one and find out something better is out there.

If you're looking for great illumination, I think you won't like 5000K. When you're facing a vehicle with 5000k lights, they look super bright. But when you're behind the lights , everything out ahead of you has such a watery blue tint that its like being at the bottom of a swimming pool. 4000K or lower gives you a lot better illumination.

I prefer Osram Nightbreakers for illumination and lifespan, after trying offerings from Phillips, Sylvania, GE and Halfords own brand (Halfords is a parts store).

IME this holds true for H1, H3, H4 and H7.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
What bulb type? 9005? H7? H4/9003?
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
If you're looking for great illumination, I think you won't like 5000K. When you're facing a vehicle with 5000k lights, they look super bright. But when you're behind the lights , everything out ahead of you has such a watery blue tint that its like being at the bottom of a swimming pool. 4000K or lower gives you a lot better illumination.

Yep.

Blue tinted light is not as compatible with the human eye as white.
Two examples.... the French "yellow lamps requirement" is a consequence of the realization that headlamps with the blue light filtered OUT were easier on other drivers and when blue is filtered out a yellow tint results... and so called "blue blocker" sunglasses are advertised for decreasing glare. There is a standard sunglass tint called "Brown Three" which does the blue filtering job as an actual optic specification. THe best of the lot for high glare conditions, such as fishing, are "Brown Three polarized" in which the polarization blocks even more glare. Ironic that blue tinted bulbs are popular among the [censored] can set beuause they "look like" HIDs.

Last edited:
Blue tint on a headlamp bulb removes soem of the yellow light a filament bulb produces and causes the result to look "whiter" unless the tint is intent is to create a phony HID look. So, in fact, a blue tint reduces the light output of the bulb without the benefit provided by a yellow tint, and LEAVES a color which is hard on the eyes. It's ironic that, like many things these days, there is an assumption that a "5000K bulb is "more better" than a 400K bulb, when the science suggests otherwise.

Last edited:
I'll leave the discussion of why the forst series of HID lamps were ALLOWED tocontain so much of an annoying blue output for another time. The dead hand of the bureaucrat was involved.

H7 is the high beam. And to my eye the 5000k white provides better visibility (without starting a debate) its what my eye see's best and at my age I know what I like. The dingy yellow is great in foggy conditions, otherwise I prefer the white. With that said, my original question. which bulb is the standout in the color range (keeping in mind id prefer not to replace them every three months)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
I prefer Osram Nightbreakers for illumination and lifespan, after trying offerings from Phillips, Sylvania, GE and Halfords own brand (Halfords is a parts store).

IME this holds true for H1, H3, H4 and H7.

ive seen these mentioned before

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
H7 is the high beam. And to my eye the 5000k white provides better visibility (without starting a debate) its what my eye see's best and at my age I know what I like. The dingy yellow is great in foggy conditions, otherwise I prefer the white. With that said, my original question. which bulb is the standout in the color range (keeping in mind id prefer not to replace them every three months)

As the saying goes, "you can't get there from here". You can get less yellow. And you can get long lasting. But not both in one product.

A halogen bulb producing "5000K light" necessarily has to be coated with a blue coating to remove some of the yellow of the light spectrum. In order to compensate for this light-reducing filter, bulb manufacturers do things to "amp up" the light output from the actual filament to keep the bulb in compliance (+/- 15% of the rated output). Often, this means using a smaller diameter filament. This has a number of advantages: smaller diameter filaments burn brighter and also create better beam focus. However, long life is not one of their advantages. Long life or heavy duty bulbs often run thicker or larger diameter filaments -- they're structurally stronger and will last longer. But, they don't burn as bright.

There is no way to get long life and 5000K light at the same time. If they don't apply the blue filter, the filament can be made larger and the bulb will last a long time -- but the light has more yellow. If they do apply the filter but don't also shrink the filament, they'll have a bulb that doesn't produce enough light to be legal. An H7's spec is 1,450 lumens. Legally, all bulbs marked as H7 bulbs approved for road use must produce between 1,233 and 1,668 lumens.

Copy, I don't use the high beams anywhere near as much as the low beams, that said Im assuming I could probably get a year or two out of a set. I put a set of Silverstars in my wifes car about 3 years ago (high's) and they both lasted almost 36 months failing within a month of one another. So of course that begs the question is that satisfactory ? Is it acceptable to plan on ultra expensive wiper blades to last less than a year ? the cheap ones work right ? whats it worth to us ?

Otis, my apologies: I was mixing this thread up with another thread from someone seeking long-lasting bulbs. Given that these are in your high beams, and you don't necessarily need long-lasting bulbs, then yes: get the highest-powered H7s you can find. Given that you will probably use them for only a few hours each year, longevity shouldn't be a major issue. Again, sorry for confusing the two threads!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Otis, my apologies: I was mixing this thread up with another thread from someone seeking long-lasting bulbs. Given that these are in your high beams, and you don't necessarily need long-lasting bulbs, then yes: get the highest-powered H7s you can find. Given that you will probably use them for only a few hours each year, longevity shouldn't be a major issue. Again, sorry for confusing the two threads!

cheers3.gif
no problem.

Ok, im bringing this post back to life (hopefully) im pulling the aftermarket HID kit out of my car due to a interface electrical issue (error codes for headlights, So im going back to halogen bulbs. I indend to replace the highbeams H-7's the low beams H-11's and the bumper driving lights, also H-11's a lot of positive reviews on the Osram nightbreakers on here, however the Amazon reviews aren't as high as id like to see, Plenty of "4 month burn outs" complaints. Ive had my fair share of aftermarket bulbs and had a set of Silverstars only last about a year, but 4 months is not acceptable for the price of these bulbs.. a point of interest on the car (2006 Mercury Milan) the highbeams are reflectors, the low beams are projectors, the driving lights are projectors.. im going to replace all three sets of lights, I would think sticking with one brand (for color purposes) would be wise.. anyways, after reading a large variety of reviews I like the ONB however id like a few more opinions from those with experience.

The Silverstars are a lot more popular (with a lot more purchases) and plenty of positive feedback. The nightbreakers are about the same price but a good portion of the reviews are simply not great. ONB also cant be found local, I have to order v.s. dropping by W.M. and grabbing replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back