Printed oil capacity doesn't match dipstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did an oil change on a 1991 Corolla Wagon.

Amsoil's fluid capacity shows 3.4 quarts (with filter). 2.8 quarts has it to the max full line. The owner's manual has no capacity. It just says use 10w-30 for normal application and has standard oil change directions.

Dipstick has the correct part number on it. Filter used is K&N-1003. I suppose the dipstick tube could have been replaced, but, how likely is that?

Thoughts?

Since it's a fairly low capacity to begin with, putting in another .6 quarts seems like a fair amount over. Of course, if it's really a 3.4 capacity, then .6 seems a significant amount down.

*sigh*

On a related note, it's not the first time an older Toyota's actual capacity doesn't match what is printed.

I've done oil changes on 4 22R/22RE Celicas over the last few years. Stated capacity is 4.9 quarts (Amsoil's site).

All four take 3.3 - 3.5 total. That's a big difference. How likely is it all four cars have some issue and are 'off'?

Originally Posted By: Quest
there is oil pooling in the cylinder head portion, oui?

Q.

Sorry, I don't quite understand?

Amsoil website is usually correct in fluid capacity, but if you still have owner manual I would verify the capacity for your car.

Did you check oil level right after you fill the sump ? Did you started the engine and let it run for few minutes then check the oil level on dipstick 4-5 minutes after turned off the engine ?

It is usually best to check the oil level on dipstick early morning after all night parking on level ground.

Oil level isnt full prior to change. Check it.

Oil isnt hot enough to drain completely. Cold oil could drain well if you wait overnight. Drain it hot.

Oil isnt allowed enough time to drain... with vehicle ramped, jacked, or tilted in favor of drain plug location. Time, altitude, and angle are for you to figure out

Oil filter isnt removed at appropriate time... Remove it before the drainplug. Way too many DIY utube videos showing drainplug reinstalled prior to removing old filter.

Oil dipstick is incorrect, or not being read well, on a level surface, level vehicle, 5 minutes after a hot run, or completely cold after overnight wait.

Possible, if unlikely, that the pan is sludged to the tune of 1/2 quart volume. I've seen worse than that, but on older carbureted cars. Good luck sorting it out

From a Toyota Forum in 2010:

"Just purchased a 1994 Corolla with a 1.6 engine. The manual states 3.2 quarts with filter. However, it shows full with 2.5 quarts. Any reason(s) why this might be occuring?"

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

Oil isnt hot enough to drain completely. Cold oil could drain well if you wait overnight. Drain it hot.

Oil isnt allowed enough time to drain... with vehicle ramped, jacked, or tilted in favor of drain plug location. Time, altitude, and angle are for you to figure out

Oil filter isnt removed at appropriate time... Remove it before the drainplug. Way too many DIY utube videos showing drainplug reinstalled prior to removing old filter.

Oil dipstick is incorrect, or not being read well, on a level surface, level vehicle, 5 minutes after a hot run, or completely cold after overnight wait.

Yup, it might not have drained all the way, be sludged up, or have the wrong dipstick in it.

How would this matter? I am draining and refilling.

I always warm up a vehicle before changing.

Drain plug angle looks optimal and I drain for 20-30 minutes.

Interesting. I did do that, but not always. How does it make a difference?

I check it on a level surface, both after a run and while cold. Dipstick is the correct part. Is it common for a dipstick to be out of tolerance?

Is it also possible Amsoil's site is incorrect?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Yup, it might not have drained all the way, be sludged up, or have the wrong dipstick in it.

Dipstick has the correct part number. Oil is drained well. I suppose sludge is possible, but, it was well maintained by original (previous) owner.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
From a Toyota Forum in 2010:

"Just purchased a 1994 Corolla with a 1.6 engine. The manual states 3.2 quarts with filter. However, it shows full with 2.5 quarts. Any reason(s) why this might be occuring?"

Very interesting.

Also, as mentioned in my initial post, direct experience with four 22R/RE Celicas shows they all show full at 3.3-3.5 quarts.

Amsoil says 4.9.

Does it seem likely that all four cars read inaccurately?

I've also seen a post on a Celica forum in which someone says his takes 3.5.

Measure what comes out vs what goes in.

Filter ADBV has oil passages above and below it. For the passages to drain back, you remove the old filter prior to reinstalling drainplug, and wait. My habit is to pull the filter 1st and then the drainplug. While pan is draining, refill and reinstall new filter....

Not too many optimum drain plug locations. Even with drain plug removed and pan empty, I've been able to remove 4-12 ounces with a thru-dipstick oil extractor in many vehicles.

If the owners manual doesn't have fluid capacity, check with the factory service manual. But, do know that even OE make typos, including Amsoil.

I also fill to the top of the crosshatch or to the full fill line. None of my cars or vehicles I service are "in between" ever.

I am not here to argue oil capacity. If you are happy with 3.3 quarts, so be it. Hope that there isnt a quart of sludge sticking to your oil pan. Older small 4cyl vehicles didnt have mega sumps. Trust your dipstick and keep driving.

Originally Posted By: OceanRuns
Stated capacity is 4.9 quarts (Amsoil's site).

Amsoil's fluid capacity shows 3.4 quarts (with filter).

Amsoil says 4.9.

Is it also possible Amsoil's site is incorrect?

Apparently.

Thanks for the explanation on removing the oil filter and your other suggestions.

Given that 2.8 shows full and capacity is stated as 3.4, what would you do? Would you fill to 3.4 and roll with it showing high? Or, stay at 2.8 and showing full?

I may drop the pan next change (not hard on this vehicle) to see what's there lol.

Measure what comes out vs what goes in.

Filter ADBV has oil passages above and below it. For the passages to drain back, you remove the old filter prior to reinstalling drainplug, and wait. My habit is to pull the filter 1st and then the drainplug. While pan is draining, refill and reinstall new filter....

Not too many optimum drain plug locations. Even with drain plug removed and pan empty, I've been able to remove 4-12 ounces with a thru-dipstick oil extractor in many vehicles.

If the owners manual doesn't have fluid capacity, check with the factory service manual. But, do know that even OE make typos, including Amsoil.

I also fill to the top of the crosshatch or to the full fill line. None of my cars or vehicles I service are "in between" ever.

I am not here to argue oil capacity. If you are happy with 3.3 quarts, so be it. Hope that there isnt a quart of sludge sticking to your oil pan. Older small 4cyl vehicles didnt have mega sumps. Trust your dipstick and keep driving.

Last edited:
Go by the dipstick
I would run it for awhile and park on a level spot,wait a few minutes and check
Being a little low or high wont hurt but I would rather be a little over

Whether it's 2.8 quarts or 3.4 quarts, that's not enough oil for a car engine in my opinion.

The minimum should be 5 quarts.

3.4 qt spec might be for a "dry" engine: new or first fill after rebuild.
There's enough nooks and crannies to hold an extra 1/2 qt that doesn't get drained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back