Flushing my coolant is this a ok way to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My coolant is really dirty and have no idea when it was last changed so im gonna first drain the radiator then close it up and fill it up with distilled water then turn the car on and let it run for 10min then turn the heat on and let it run for another 10min then i will drain the radiator again and if the water comes out clean i will close it up and fill the radiator with 50/50 sounds good?

Not really. For one, that won't clean things out if it is "really dirty". Second, after getting distilled water into the system (block, heater core, etc), which won't all drain when you drain the radiator, you'll be left with a mix that's weaker than 50/50.

Just don't flush it. Drain and refill with 50/50 mix, and do it several times over the course of several months.

Easiest way to solve your problem - and you can control the amount of waste as well.

i think ill pass on the flush then im worried things are gonna clog up or leak since this is a 1988 and god knows how long it has been since its been changed. How about i just drain the radiator and then hose the radiator with hose till thats clean at least?

i guess ill just drain the radiator and overflow container and fill to the top but for this i dont need to run the engine for 10min or anything right since im not flushing it?

If the coolant is really dirty and you dont know hen it was changed, then it should be changed. ever wonder why those cars with their hoods up and steam pouring forth actually get that way? You always want to do preventative maintenance on the things that can cause that and leave you stranded.

The proper way to do this is to open the drain bolt at the bottom of the radiator as well as the engine block bleeder screw and allow the fluid to drain, tighten both and refill with 50/50. Don't run the engine, don't run a flush, don't overdo this. But do it.

Be aware that coolant is highly toxic, so keep kids and pets away and dispose of it properly.

If I just drain the radiator and then fill it to full with new coolant to the top it should stay full even when I start the car since I didn't do a flush or take coolant out from the engine?

I would not drain the block drain, it's probably old, crusty, corroded, and you could break something.

When you drain the radiator, you don't "really" drain the engine, which holds about half your coolant. The water pump, thermostat, and various air pockets get in the way.

But draining the radiator drains the engine enough that you do get some air pockets, which burp out when it warms up. Typically about a quart worth.

I'd drain the radiator every night, for a week, and refill with tap water, and drive normally.

Then, for the last drain, use distilled.

Then, drain that and throw 100% pure antifreeze in. Considering the engine half being water, that'll get your 50/50 ratio back.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I would not drain the block drain, it's probably old, crusty, corroded, and you could break something.

When you drain the radiator, you don't "really" drain the engine, which holds about half your coolant. The water pump, thermostat, and various air pockets get in the way.

But draining the radiator drains the engine enough that you do get some air pockets, which burp out when it warms up. Typically about a quart worth.

I'd drain the radiator every night, for a week, and refill with tap water, and drive normally.

Then, for the last drain, use distilled.

Then, drain that and throw 100% pure antifreeze in. Considering the engine half being water, that'll get your 50/50 ratio back.

If you introduce tap water in your system, that's a SURE way to invite corrosion - I don't care if you do use distilled water for your last drain/fill.

Ed

Is it OK if I just drain the radiator and overflow container then fill the radiator with 50/50 and then in a month repeat this process? Also once I fill the radiator to full should I start my car with the cap off or on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back